Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Aug 14, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #392 of 7,535
Some years back I purchased Senn's 280pro's for computter use. Over time, and with the help of grandkids, the 280's had been dropped, stepped on , kicked
 and  cracked. Currently I have electrical tape holding all the plastic together .
  I spent last night reading all 26 pages of this thread and have decided on  the Senn 598's.
 I only use headphones on my Computer,
 After reading these post, I decided to to try them with my HT system ( Outlaw 990 proccesor ) The 280's came to life sounding 5x better.
 So not only do I need headphones, but seems I need something like the Fiio e7 for my computer use ?
 I do not do games nor to I use any I

Aug 14, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #393 of 7,535
Haggling is not my forte, but i did get them $10 cheaper on the phone without even asking. So $189 plus 2 day shipping for $198. I'm happy. Now, hoping to get across the border without outrageous taxes/duties! 

Aug 14, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #394 of 7,535
For any of you that have the D2000/5000/7000, you should really check out the following mod:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/464640/ah-d7000-mods-with-he-5-as-reference

I tried removing the cups from my D2000 and doing the earpad lift mod, and wow! These make fantastic open headphones. Somewhat comparable to the HD598, but with more bass extension, more bass punch, and a less veiled, more detailed sound. Has a very large soundstage and sounds very natural (though perhaps slightly on the bright side). Midrange is much improved compared to the stock D2000, and the bass is less emphasized and very tight. 

I know this has nothing to do with the HD598, but I figure anyone that has the one of the Denon headphones would appreciate it! Removing the cups and and testing the earpad lift mod (without velcro) is completely reversible and very easy to do.

Aug 14, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #395 of 7,535

Quote:
For any of you that have the D2000/5000/7000, you should really check out the following mod:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/464640/ah-d7000-mods-with-he-5-as-reference

I tried removing the cups from my D2000 and doing the earpad lift mod, and wow! These make fantastic open headphones. Somewhat comparable to the HD598, but with more bass extension, more bass punch, and a less veiled, more detailed sound. Has a very large soundstage and sounds very natural (though perhaps slightly on the bright side). Midrange is much improved compared to the stock D2000, and the bass is less emphasized and very tight. 

I know this has nothing to do with the HD598, but I figure anyone that has the one of the Denon headphones would appreciate it! Removing the cups and and testing the earpad lift mod (without velcro) is completely reversible and very easy to do.

Comparable to the HD598 but less veiled? Have you ever even heard to the 598?

They may not have the tightest bass out there, but they are definitely NOT veiled!

They are actually borderline too bright for my tastes.

That said, I don't really believe in modifying headphones. I'd rather find a headphone that sounds good to me out of the box than take a headphone that's not right and try and bend it to my will. Just my opinion...

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #396 of 7,535
Quote:
Comparable to the HD598 but less veiled? Have you ever even heard to the 598?

They may not have the tightest bass out there, but they are definitely NOT veiled!

They are actually borderline too bright for my tastes.

That said, I don't really believe in modifying headphones. I'd rather find a headphone that sounds good to me out of the box than take a headphone that's not right and try and bend it to my will. Just my opinion...

I know, it doesn't make sense. I thought the HD598 could be considered bright sometimes, but it really does sound more veiled in a direct A/B comparison.

I'd prefer to not mod headphones either, but, hey...if I can get better sound out of them, I'll do it!

Aug 15, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #397 of 7,535
For anyone who is still wanting these headphones. I just got off the line with Jr.com rep and they price matched these cans for me for 179.99 with free shipping. They literally didn't even ask where I saw competitive price haha. I said the price and they said (within 4 seconds) "We'll match it" lol.

Just thought I'd let everyone know :)

Enjoy ur cans!

PS: I'll give you my thoughts on these once I get them in :)

Aug 15, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #398 of 7,535
So I've used my HD 598 for a couple of days now with my also recently bought e7. I barely hear any difference between my on board and the e7. I'm guessing my on board's DAC is almost just as good as the e7's. I'm thinking of getting the e9 though. So my question is, how does the e9 by itself change the HD 598's sound? Is it noticeably cleaner? Tighten up the bass? Anything? Because the sound difference between my on board and my e7 is not worth $100 at all. 

EDIT: I have another question. I've read that the bass is really lacking in these headphones. I love bass. I do not find that these cans are bass light. I think that they have just a bit less bass than my M50's. Did I get a broken pair or something? I'm asking this because I'm about to get an exchange because the left adjustment slider is way too loose, but I love this sound so much. I don't want to risk a getting a different sound.

Aug 16, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #399 of 7,535
They are not bass free.
smile.gif

Aug 17, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #401 of 7,535
Ok, so I'm trying to set up an exchange with J&R. It looks like they might not pay for shipping. If that's true then I could have just gotten it from amazon for the same price and faster shipping, and a better return policy :/

Anyway, I'd still like to know if the e9 does anything to these headphones.

Aug 18, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #402 of 7,535
A bit of a problem...

I have an optical out from my tv connected to my Fiio D3 which connects to my e9 line in. However, when using my 360 (component) the headphone sound is not balanced. The left earbud has more volume to it than the right earbud. Currently, the headphone volumes feel balanced between the right and left buds when Im using my PS3/Computer.

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #403 of 7,535
So I got my 598's in today. First listen to these I was a bit underwhelmed... (more then likely due to me pushing them through a unamped iPod nano).

But once I got home I played a bit of music through my computer and the sounds began to become enveloped...

After about 3 or 4 hours of listening I turned off the sound for maybe 30mins - 1hour and then turned it back on.  All of a sudden these phones knocked my ears into euphoria haha...

As I sit here typing I am listening to the Social Network soundtrack in complete astonishment!

And I'm running these unamped... can't wait to get a decent amp... just gotta find some more money somewhere... head-fi.org you've caused me to go broke!!!! <3

While I am here would a Fiio E7 amp/dac be proficient in pushing these cans?

Thanks guys!

Aug 18, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #405 of 7,535
I really love my HD598 when I paired them with my FiiO e7 + e9 combo 
beyersmile.png

EDIT: I would recommend the combo over the e7 only. First thing, these are not portable cans so pairing them with the portable e7 would look a bit awkward. Second thing, the combo sounds a lot better IMO, since e7 is more focused on bass enhancing, which will make it a bit overwhelmed in some songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back