Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Aug 9, 2011 at 4:34 AM Post #361 of 7,535
If anyone is looking for a good deal on these.

www.crutchfield.com

Use the coupon code 3A171 ($20 coupon) during checkout and you can get these for $179 with a internet order no phone order needed like jr.com.
And then you have the option for some other payment methods.

Aug 10, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #363 of 7,535
Hi all, I am deciding between the HD598 and the HD650. I will be using it mostly for gaming, movies and different types of music genres. I also like bass and clarity. Which do you guys recommend me to pull the trigger on? Thanks for any feedback and opinions. Oh and I am looking to pull the trigger tomorrow after work.

Rich

Aug 10, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #364 of 7,535

Quote:
Hi all, I am deciding between the HD598 and the HD650. I will be using it mostly for gaming, movies and different types of music genres. I also like bass and clarity. Which do you guys recommend me to pull the trigger on? Thanks for any feedback and opinions. Oh and I am looking to pull the trigger tomorrow after work.

Rich

That's quite a jump between the two headphones.  From what I've heard the 650's do need an amp to sound their best, while the 598 does not require one to sound good.  Although the 598s aren't bass heavy they do have impact, and have good clarity.  Once again this is from me reading other people's comments, but the 650's are not perfect for all genres of music.  The 598s on the other hand manage just fine with everything but electronica and some of the more eccentric metal genres. That I can say from personal experience.  My vote will go for the 598s because I HAVE heard them, and they work very well for gaming, movies, and music.  Granted I would also look at few other threads and see if a different headphone might suit your needs a bit better.  Remember that these two headphones are open, and will leak sound like the Mexican border leaks drugs. 

Aug 10, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #365 of 7,535

Quote:

Rich

The 650's don't have a huge soundstage, so they aren't the best for gaming. You also NEED a powerful amp for them or you're wasting your money on the headphones in the first place. They have a little more bass than the HD598s, but IMO it's also more muddy and less accurate.

The HD598's are incredible for gaming because of their large soundstage. They're not a "bassy" headphone by any stretch though.

You'll find it hard to get a headphone that's bassy AND good for gaming. Generally bassy headphone are bad for gaming because the bass covers up a lot of the queues you need to position enemies. Maybe look into the DT990. Ive never used them personally but from what I've read they may be down your ally.

Aug 10, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #366 of 7,535

Quote:
That's quite a jump between the two headphones.  From what I've heard the 650's do need an amp to sound their best, while the 598 does not require one to sound good.  Although the 598s aren't bass heavy they do have impact, and have good clarity.  Once again this is from me reading other people's comments, but the 650's are not perfect for all genres of music.  The 598s on the other hand manage just fine with everything but electronica and some of the more eccentric metal genres. That I can say from personal experience.  My vote will go for the 598s because I HAVE heard them, and they work very well for gaming, movies, and music.  Granted I would also look at few other threads and see if a different headphone might suit your needs a bit better.  Remember that these two headphones are open, and will leak sound like the Mexican border leaks drugs. 

I thanks for your response. I will consider the 598 more then the 650 since I do not need and amp but it wont hurt to use one with it as well from what I read on others posts in this thread.

I love the "Will leak sound like the Mexican border leaks drugs" analogy. Lmao......

Aug 10, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #367 of 7,535

Quote:
The 650's don't have a huge soundstage, so they aren't the best for gaming. You also NEED a powerful amp for them or you're wasting your money on the headphones in the first place. They have a little more bass than the HD598s, but IMO it's also more muddy and less accurate.

The HD598's are incredible for gaming because of their large soundstage. They're not a "bassy" headphone by any stretch though.

You'll find it hard to get a headphone that's bassy AND good for gaming. Generally bassy headphone are bad for gaming because the bass covers up a lot of the queues you need to position enemies. Maybe look into the DT990. Ive never used them personally but from what I've read they may be down your ally.

I thanks for response. I check out the DT990 review and it shows that the prior model the DT880 received a better review. It also said that the bass was to dark/deep. I might go with the 598s and see how I like them. I initially liked that 650 but im totally confused now based on my needs on using them and the NEED for an amp which will costs me another 400 at least for a decent one. Ughhh. decisions decisions...

Whats better open or closed backed HPs?

Aug 10, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #368 of 7,535
I don't think it will matter too much when it comes to home use.  Open cans will leak more noise, while closed cans will offer not only reduced sound leakage, but will give the user better sound isolation.  Since I do not take my headphones outside I prefer open cans for a more airy feel. 

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #370 of 7,535
Quote:
Just got my new Sennheiser HD 598 from Amazon.com! Im using them now and they sound great! Even from my tiny iPod shuffle! This is my first set of high-end headphones and theres definitely an improvement from the stock iPod earbuds I'm used to especially in the treble and bass departments. The only thing is that the headphones sound a little flat audio-wise, although I guess thats because they havent burned in yet.....hopefully with time the sound quality will improve even more than what it is now. All in all though, a good purchase. Now I have to look for an amp.....the Fiio E7 perhaps?

Quote:
That's probably due from being under-amped and driven from such a tiny device. I can almost guarantee an E7 or something similar will make them sound much better. I think the HD-598 is decent out of the Ipod Touch and maybe perhaps the Zune HD.

I should try it out of my Iaudio 7 that I never use.

I've yet to own a Sennheiser headphone that required burn-in to sound good, but I guess I'm lucky!

\Quote:
The 598s don't seem to really need an amp (although I'm sure a decent amp would help to some degree). I think that you would be better served with a better source. Try getting a USB DAC for your computer or, if you'd rather go portable, get something like a cowon c2 or j3. Cowons are more than capable of driving the 598s, but the level of sound quality you'll get from one is far beyond anything a shuffle could ever dream of. If you'd rather stay within apple's ecosystem, however, an iPod touch + lod + e7 would do alright as well (although I'll readily admit to being a cowon fanboy
tongue.gif
)

I hardly use them with my iPod Shuffle, except when I'm listening to podcasts, I just mentioned it to show that I was surprised that the headphones sound pretty nice even from something so tiny that wouldnt output so much power. I've been using them pretty much constantly with my HP dv7 laptop....it has Beats Audio so I want to believe that its an ample source of audio. I was playing Grand Theft Auto III yesterday and the headphones really brought out the sound especially the in-game radio stations. Though I'm looking at getting a USB dac/amp, as like you guys said it would almost certainly make them sound clearer and better. the OP, Headstar says there was an big difference in sound quality after many hours of use and burn-in, while tdockweiler says these shouldnt need burn-in to sound 'good', but like I said this is my first pair of high-end headphones, so I dont really know what 'good' sounds like yet because I dont have any reference headphones to compare them with...but as time goes on I'll get to learn more though. :)

Aug 11, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #371 of 7,535
So, my cans arrived. I plugged it into my computer, via the adapter, and selected a track to play. The thing is, its only playing out of my right side. Do i need to change some settings in realtek? Or did i get a bum unit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back