Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Aug 23, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #7,486 of 7,535
Is there a cable that turns HD598 into 2.5mm balanced that one can just buy? Based on the reading here it seems to be that hd 598 is not a genuine balanced configuration.

Don't think anyone replied to you. Let's take a step back. "Balanced" means that the speakers are getting fed individual signals out of phase, +/- with a dedicated ground path, as opposed to a signal that runs in total to ground (+/gnd). This is used to eliminate noise as the positive flows to the negative, and any "noise" that is not in BOTH the waveforms flows to the dedicated ground path. What this means is that it is IMPOSSIBLE for a headset to be "not a genuine balanced configuration." If a speaker has a positive and negative terminal, it can be "balanced." Now, that said, the CABLE on the headset may or may not be WIRED to balance the signal. As someone who has ripped open the ENTIRE headset for a recable, I can say that it IS possible to balance it. There are 3 viable methods, depending on how dramatic you want to get.

1. Turns out, the headset is actually wired to accept balancing AT the recable. The cable insert on the headset is a TRRS jack, NOT a TRS. If you pop open the left cup, you will see that there are actually FOUR leads soldiered onto the jack PCB. That means the EASIEST solution is to either buy or make an XLR-4p (or whatever termination you prefer) to the TRRS end. If you search "HD598 Recable" on google, you will be lead to a Head-fi forum post of someone who did just that. It's very straight-forward.

2. You can clip the wires off the PCB and remove it, wiring both of the 2C Litz wires into the cable directly, terminating as you see fit. This is just a more dramatic version of #1, running a dedicated balanced cable as opposed to utilizing the TRRS jack for cable-swapping (and eliminating a connection point in the mix.)

3. You can do what I did: Completely strip out ALL of the wire and replace it. There are a couple options once you've gone this far. What I did was run my OWN cable from one earcup to the other through the headband in an effort to preserve the left-hand cabling. It required extensive modding that has already come to bite me in the butt. I had to do lots of compromising of the structure that has caused a break in the housing. I also screwed up the driver and had to replace the assembly. The easier method is to turn the headset from a left-sided cable to a split-Y cable by drilling out one of the earcups to run the wire onto the driver assembly (If you go this route, don't forget your strain relief!).

I ran 18AWG wire instead of the 28-32AWG Litz wire that it comes with. This required me to drill out the brass fittings and to put pressure in certain places for strain relief and to actually just have it fit. this caused the swivel fitting on the right ear to crack and come unseated permanently. This means no clamping pressure holding the earcup against my head. I have this fixed with Duct tape, but it destroyed my aesthetic on these cans and I have no real way to fix it short of replacing the whole housing. So, the extensive modding I did is not advised unless you are both tolerant of failure and accepting of non-ideal recovery solutions. Thankfully, it has no affect on sound quality :) Which, I might add, benefited from the balancing. It slightly (but noticeably) reduced the "static fuzz" sound I was getting from my headset when my amp was turned up very high. I have a tube amp and it also reduced the cable microphonics by a considerable portion.

I just got a set of classic Audeze LCD2's (vintage 2011). I built a balanced cable for them as well. I've spent some time on them and I ABSOLUTELY love them, but they are a bit too "serious." I break them out when I REALLY want to do some critical listening, but they're heavy, fragile, and the planar drivers create a pressure inside the cup that can be quite fatiguing. I have found myself revisiting and re-falling in love with my 598's again. They are ALMOST as good, WAY easier to listen to, and WAY less serious. When I'm looking for a high-quality casual experience, it's just hard to beat them. I still have to bring my gear over to my brother's to test out his HD6XX's and see how they compare, but for now, these guys continue to be my go-to set of cans.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #7,489 of 7,535
Agree with rich on the easy to listen to and not as serious bit - mixing up sound judiciously can also be a nice cheap “upgrade” when you go back to your preferred cans lol

Kind of like a palate cleanser..

Sep 8, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #7,490 of 7,535
Something I always wondered; why is it that the 598 seem to be headphones whose cups seem to vibrate enormously? But asking, I think it has to do with the weight of the cups... The headphones are quite light, but I think that the cups are particularly light, and I'm wondering how much of a bad thing that is for sound... Yeah looking at the cups; https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sen...-slightly-changed-drivers-see-photoes.675134/ boy those are some flimsy looking supports!

So hmm... Wondering how different they'd sound if they had more substantial support. Or... Maybe if the cups were less open... When playing a little loud, it kinda feels like the way they're vibrating, they are just fluttering aimlessly in free air! And given the vibration, feels like there should be significantly more bass, it's almost like having two subwoofers on the side of the head, without any of the bass a sub should provide...! So strange!

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #7,491 of 7,535
Something I always wondered; why is it that the 598 seem to be headphones whose cups seem to vibrate enormously? But asking, I think it has to do with the weight of the cups... The headphones are quite light, but I think that the cups are particularly light, and I'm wondering how much of a bad thing that is for sound... Yeah looking at the cups; https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sen...-slightly-changed-drivers-see-photoes.675134/ boy those are some flimsy looking supports!

So hmm... Wondering how different they'd sound if they had more substantial support. Or... Maybe if the cups were less open... When playing a little loud, it kinda feels like the way they're vibrating, they are just fluttering aimlessly in free air! And given the vibration, feels like there should be significantly more bass, it's almost like having two subwoofers on the side of the head, without any of the bass a sub should provide...! So strange!

Thoughts?

Yes, just one thought - you listen too loud and you should stop. Hearing damage and loss is irreversible.
Sorry if I sound like a wise-ass, I just say this every time I encounter a post like yours. Karma improvement :stuck_out_tongue:

Sep 9, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #7,492 of 7,535
Yes what? :thinking:
Yes, just one thought - you listen too loud and you should stop. Hearing damage and loss is irreversible.
Sorry if I sound like a wise-ass, I just say this every time I encounter a post like yours. Karma improvement :stuck_out_tongue:
Haha nope that's the thing. I just checked with cell dbmeter and it's about 70-75 dB max, and this is pretty much the loudest I ever listen to. So it's nowhere near concert level, it's as I said just a little loud, and none of my other headphones (400i, Q701, DT990, etc.) does that weird vibration thing!
:worried:

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #7,493 of 7,535

Haha nope that's the thing. I just checked with cell dbmeter and it's about 70-75 dB max, and this is pretty much the loudest I ever listen to. So it's nowhere near concert level, it's as I said just a little loud, and none of my other headphones (400i, Q701, DT990, etc.) does that weird vibration thing!

I have never had that with any headphone including the Sennheiser HD598...and I have a few...

Sep 9, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #7,494 of 7,535

I use my hd598 at level's, on average, of 80-87db, and I don't get them to rattle. If whatever you have them plugged into, has a high output impedance,that can cause the bass to become boosted, loose and boomy; but still not rattle the earcups; although a loud volume or boosted bass eq, with high output impedance might do it . I don't know.

It might also be possible that there's something loose inside the headphones causing the rattle.

Sep 9, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #7,495 of 7,535
Hmm... I wouldn't call it a rattle, it doesn't make noise. It's really just the vibration; if you put your fingers around the cups, you can feel the cups really vibrating. That vibration seems to transfer more to the head/ears than other headphones. Just comparing vs the 400i, the 400i is likely playing louder, yet it doesn't feel to vibrate at all when it's on your head. If you place your fingers on the cup, you feel normal/slight vibrations.

But as I said I think it's just mass. The 598's cups are very light, so the cups vibrate more given a certain energy; so they just vibrate a lot compared to heavier headphones. 225g vs 370g for 400i. And just holding the 598 you can tell that most of the weight is in the headband. Maybe it's also the pads; or the design of the cups, anyway, it's not an issue or a problem. Just a particularity of the 598.

Sep 11, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #7,496 of 7,535
I have my cans on my headphone dummy turned up to about 85db on my phone meter playing Bangarang by Skrillex and I feel no vibration at all resonating in the chassis. Not sure why you are experiencing that issue! Maybe it's the music you're playing hitting the resonant frequency of your chassis and causing it to buzz sympathetically. I've torn down my cans and rebuilt them with special wire, and I have a little break in one of the earcups that I needed to fix with duct tape. It's had no effect on the sound quality or clamping force, and there is another earcup that's not damaged and isn't vibrating either, so...no idea? Chalk one up to the gods of location and product variance?

Sep 23, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #7,499 of 7,535
Hi ,

I just bought HD 598 sr and will be pairing them with galaxy s7 exynos which comes with Lucky CS47L91 dac.

Would my phone be enough to drive them or should I buy an portable amp like fiio a3?

Thanks in advance for your help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back