Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2018 at 9:36 PM Post #7,336 of 7,535
I'm thinking of buying these to use them for gaming (FPS priority, and GTA 5). However, the comments of the grain of this headphone is turning me off (it's the whole reason why I sold the Audio Technica R70x)

Do any of you find this to be true? And if so, with what kind of instruments/sounds is that grain the most apparent?

Ah, yet another Head-Fier who has concerns about "grain" because they read it somewhere. It's all a matter of perspective. ALL headphones have grain (aka lack of complete transparency).

Let me say this; I owned the HD 598 for years. They were my daily driver when at the computer, with their main use being gaming (many FPS, a few RPG and even GTA V). I purchased an HD 600 last year and sold my beloved HD 598 to a friend. Worst mistake of my headphone life. There is a reason that Sennheiser's line-up of award winning and well received gaming headsets are all based upon the HD 598, sharing the same drivers. If you can get the HD 598 for a killer price, you will not regret the decision to buy.

:metal::sunglasses:

Jan 26, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #7,337 of 7,535
The 598 was my first so called audiophile grade headphone. I know many would scoff at that characterization now but I still have it and listen to it on occasion. It still punches way above its weight class so to speak. It’s also one of the most comfortable headphones out there. A true bargain at the current price of $150.

Jan 26, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #7,338 of 7,535
It’s also one of the most comfortable headphones out there. A true bargain at the current price of $150.

I would go so far as to call it THE most comfortable headphone on the market, which makes it perfect for gaming!

:metal::sunglasses:

Jan 27, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #7,340 of 7,535
It was my first open-back headphone as well. It was comfortable with a nice soundstage. I still have it, though I never bother to reach it in the last 2 years.

Jan 27, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #7,343 of 7,535
Yeh for sure, i got meze 99 neo's which beat the 598's soundswise for gaming in my opinion, but the comfort of the 598's were a league above.
I tested the 99 Neo and I have to disagree. They have MUCH more boosted bass and are closed-back. So less transparent, smaller soundstage, more heat around your ears during long sessions = worse for gaming. They are punchier and better for some music genres, yes, but not better for gaming.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #7,344 of 7,535
I tested the 99 Neo and I have to disagree. They have MUCH more boosted bass and are closed-back. So less transparent, smaller soundstage, more heat around your ears during long sessions = worse for gaming. They are punchier and better for some music genres, yes, but not better for gaming.
Hmm valid points, it's probably because i only tried both of them with only 1 game battlefield 1, and liked the punchy bass more in that game and could hear the shots from all angles correctly.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #7,345 of 7,535
The thing is, a smooth frequency response doesn't necessarily translate to a clean/grain free (or atleast, acceptable grain free) sound.

For example, the R70x I've had, has even less uppermids/treble emphasis than the HD 650. However, I couldn't stand them, since there was this roughness in the higher end, that would creep up constantly with certain sounds, which the HD 650 did absolutely fine in.

Worst example I've had was the NAD Viso HP50. Even less uppermids/treble emphasis than the R70x, but harsher with those same instruments (well recorded) than even the Philips Fidelio L2, which is known to be bright sounding.

Jan 27, 2018 at 7:16 AM Post #7,346 of 7,535
The thing is, a smooth frequency response doesn't necessarily translate to a clean/grain free (or atleast, acceptable grain free) sound.

For example, the R70x I've had, has even less uppermids/treble emphasis than the HD 650. However, I couldn't stand them, since there was this roughness in the higher end, that would creep up constantly with certain sounds, which the HD 650 did absolutely fine in.

Worst example I've had was the NAD Viso HP50. Even less uppermids/treble emphasis than the R70x, but harsher with those same instruments (well recorded) than even the Philips Fidelio L2, which is known to be bright sounding.

I think I know what you're talking about. I don't remember testing the R70x but I owned the M50x and tested the M40x and MSR7 and don't like any of those because the roughness and aggressive sound around upper-mids / highs. It is the ATH- house sound.
Don't worry, the HD 598 is much more polite but still clear and resolving in that region. It has a peak around 9K but is not nearly as harsh, it actually helps adding presence in games.

Jan 27, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #7,347 of 7,535
I think I know what you're talking about. I don't remember testing the R70x but I owned the M50x and tested the M40x and MSR7 and don't like any of those because the roughness and aggressive sound around upper-mids / highs. It is the ATH- house sound.
Don't worry, the HD 598 is much more polite but still clear and resolving in that region. It has a peak around 9K but is not nearly as harsh, it actually helps adding presence in games.
Yeah. I've owned the Audio Technica AD1000x for 7 months actually, and that headphone was more prominent in the mids and highs than the bass. However, there was zero roughness/harshness in the whole sound, despite being bright and upfront. Because of the lack of unnecessary grain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back