Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Feb 1, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #7,352 of 7,532
Is there a difference sound wise between them?
Shouldn't be, but the ones I had sounded quite different, both new. This has been discussed on HF and some have heard differences, while others have not. The 598, while a bit light in the bass, should still have a warmth and richness to the mid-bass and low mids. If it sounds particularly thin/sterile/bright or even somewhat harsh/shouty, then I'd get it exchanged and hope for a "proper" sounding one.

Feb 10, 2018 at 10:47 PM Post #7,353 of 7,532
I'll chime in about the grain thing. I did indeed notice this at times with my 598SE, in spite of the relaxed treble response. They have approximately 10x higher THD than the ATH-M50x (per rtings.com). On the plus side, they also have approximately 10x the comfort.

Feb 10, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #7,354 of 7,532
I got the HD 579, which has the same construction as the 598.

The problem I'm having with them, is that I can't get a proper seal, no matter what I try...

Also, the cup hinges become extremely loose in such a short time, it's ridiculous.

I had this same problem with the HD 650, only to a lesser degree, because they were built better

Feb 14, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #7,357 of 7,532
Ah, yet another Head-Fier who has concerns about "grain" because they read it somewhere. It's all a matter of perspective. ALL headphones have grain (aka lack of complete transparency).

Let me say this; I owned the HD 598 for years. They were my daily driver when at the computer, with their main use being gaming (many FPS, a few RPG and even GTA V). I purchased an HD 600 last year and sold my beloved HD 598 to a friend. Worst mistake of my headphone life. There is a reason that Sennheiser's line-up of award winning and well received gaming headsets are all based upon the HD 598, sharing the same drivers. If you can get the HD 598 for a killer price, you will not regret the decision to buy.

:metal::sunglasses:
i sold them before 3 years, big mistake, i love mids and they are very good with vocals, now i have Hifiman HE 500, i love them but i find cheap second hand h598, i am gonna fix my mistake that i did 3 years ago

Feb 14, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #7,358 of 7,532
i sold them before 3 years, big mistake, i love mids and they are very good with vocals, now i have Hifiman HE 500, i love them but i find cheap second hand h598, i am gonna fix my mistake that i did 3 years ago
Weird, I only have the 400i and imho the only plus the 598 have over them is the weight & comfort. Sound-wise, they're a significant downgrade from 400i... I think it might just be nostalgia and if you ever buy them back they'll likely not get much head time! If my 598s weren't used at work I'd ask you how much you'd be interested of paying for them. :wink: But yeah for price and comfort they're pretty damn good! (Paid cdn$100 for mine; like 60ish US... New!)

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #7,359 of 7,532
Weird, I only have the 400i and imho the only plus the 598 have over them is the weight & comfort. Sound-wise, they're a significant downgrade from 400i... I think it might just be nostalgia and if you ever buy them back they'll likely not get much head time! If my 598s weren't used at work I'd ask you how much you'd be interested of paying for them. :wink:
i am sure that my HE 500 will destroy them, but there was something about them in the mids that i miss, forward and smooth like butter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back