Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Dec 19, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #7,321 of 7,532
I don't know about 599 but I listened to an old HD 518 recently and I was very surprised to like their tonality more than my HD 598 with some music.
Maybe they lack the resolution and stage of the 598 but I liked their signature. Warmer with more bass and no spikes at 9K. I also tried the HD 558 and I didn't like them.
IMO The HD 518 shouldn't be dismissed just because it was the cheapest in the line.

Dec 20, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #7,322 of 7,532
I don't know about 599 but I listened to an old HD 518 recently and I was very surprised to like their tonality more than my HD 598 with some music.
Maybe they lack the resolution and stage of the 598 but I liked their signature. Warmer with more bass and no spikes at 9K. I also tried the HD 558 and I didn't like them.
IMO The HD 518 shouldn't be dismissed just because it was the cheapest in the line.
I found your post quite interesting. I own all three- 518, 558, and 598. I bought them in that order.
It's been awhile, but I remember comparing the 518's to the 598's when I first got the 598's; and I had the same impressions as you.
The 598's sounded more open and airy, with a little better image resolution; but in some cases I liked the tonality of the 518's better.
More bass, A warmer, more full bodied sound; and with bright recordings, they were easier to listen to.
So, yeah, I agree, the 518's do have some things to offer; even though they are the cheapest in the line.

Dec 20, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #7,323 of 7,532
Interesting... The one reason why I like 595 more than 598 is the fact that the spike around 9K goes higher (well, that's true to all highs). It makes the HD 598 sound muddy or too warm for my taste. Obviously everyone has physically different ears so who knows how those sound waves bounce in the ear canal...

Dec 22, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #7,324 of 7,532
I just ordered a pair of HD598SR from amazon for £83! Can't wait can't wait, it'll be my first open back headphones!

Okay... I just got my HD598 a couple of hours ago. Started listening to it but noticed it's a bit muddy? After an hour of listening, I got used to it and wow.
I think the reason I first thought it was muddy was because I was so used to my Etymotic HF5's clarity and reduced bass. Orchestral music sounds rich with these and the airiness I've been missing out on previously is giving me eargasms! I'm no audiophile but as someone who enjoys good sound reproduction - phew, my first open-back headphones and I sure do love it.

Great choice for your first open back headphones! And yes, they will sound a bit muddy (I prefer to say, rich or thick) if you're used to those Etymotics. A lot of us enjoy that rich,warm, and lush signature though.

Dec 28, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #7,325 of 7,532
Owned HD595 now for over 10 years and its still my favorite headphone. I've babied them (no cracked headband, no rubbed off paint, cable still good condition).

Just replaced pads with new ones. Are any of you modern 59X owners have tear downs of the internals? I'd like to replace the cable with the removable shorter ones. I would have to be retrofitted with the connector and and that's it.

Jan 10, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #7,326 of 7,532
I bought the HD 518 used for 45 bucks, 8 months warranty left, took off and washed the earpads, soft-brushed the interior of the cups, made them like new.
Compared to HD 598 SE they have more bass (mainly mid-bass but some sub-bass too), the mids are a bit more recessed and even-sounding, no spike at 9K, but maybe more highs extension up-top. Basically a more V-shape well made.
I like the sound sometimes more than 598. I wish the closed-back 598 Cs would have sounded like these... Will use them @work.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #7,327 of 7,532
Owned HD595 now for over 10 years and its still my favorite headphone. I've babied them (no cracked headband, no rubbed off paint, cable still good condition).

Just replaced pads with new ones. Are any of you modern 59X owners have tear downs of the internals? I'd like to replace the cable with the removable shorter ones. I would have to be retrofitted with the connector and and that's it.
Lucky you! No matter what I do mine starts cracking and I've replaced the headband once (I wonder if the HD 598 headband would fit...). The only headphone that I would consider switching to is HD 660 S but the soundstage on HD 595 is just so nice compared to HD 6x0 series. Oh, and the comfort...

Jan 11, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #7,328 of 7,532
I bought the HD 518 used for 45 bucks, 8 months warranty left, took off and washed the earpads, soft-brushed the interior of the cups, made them like new.
Compared to HD 598 SE they have more bass (mainly mid-bass but some sub-bass too), the mids are a bit more recessed and even-sounding, no spike at 9K, but maybe more highs extension up-top. Basically a more V-shape well made.
I like the sound sometimes more than 598. I wish the closed-back 598 Cs would have sounded like these... Will use them @work.
Have you ever tried HD 558? Do you hear any more grain or distortion with 518 vs 598?

Jan 11, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #7,329 of 7,532
Have you ever tried HD 558? Do you hear any more grain or distortion with 518 vs 598?
I remember when I first tried the HD 518, I also briefly tried the HD 558 and it sounded off to me (thin). Can't remember exactly what it was. I was in the showroom mainly for the Momentum and FiiO X5, there was a wall of headphones, and I briefly tried The old and the current HD 5xx line.
I just remeber I didn't like the HD 558, HD 559, HD 569.
I liked the HD 579, and HD 599.
I was surprised, and liked the HD 518 that sounded similar to HD 579 (but that was in a hurry, probably the HD 579 is better).

Last night I compared my 518 and 598 SE side by side.
The bass in 518 is much more elevated, but too bad this is mainly in the mid-high-bass zone, and with some songs can produce a less correct tonality of the snare drum and toms (a bit boomy). Maybe at very loud volumes with bass heavy music (hip-hop) it can distort, but I didn't hear any distortion at medium-high volume with pop and rock. Also the bass is more enveloping, maybe it bleeds some into mids, but to me it makes for a more natural transition from bass-to-mids, it doesn't feel disjointed but better integrated. It's a more speaker-like sound where the sounds combine more before arriving at your ear-drum.
The mids are a bit more recessed and more even. with no spikes and perfect tonality (to my ear and preference).
The highs are more extended and zingy, but above that 9K elevated zone in 598. Can't figure out exactly where. A bit more grainy in the highs, yes but not much.
Overall a warmer and even less fatiguing sound than 598, mainly because of the toned down high-mids and added bass. More fun, but also probably less accuracy.

This are early impressions, I'll have to spend more time with them, for now I like both headphones for various occasions, moods. The 598 is clearly better for games, the 518 at a lower volume is more fun, thumpy, and less fatiguing for long-time at work use.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #7,331 of 7,532
Can't decide between HD 579, HD 598sr OR HD599. Gonna use them for music(electronic,rock,indie,synthwave,doom metal,) and gaming(competitive FPS-positional audio) 50/50.
Dont care about comfort only sound features.
If someone can compare these 3 would be great. TY

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #7,332 of 7,532
Can't decide between HD 579, HD 598sr OR HD599. Gonna use them for music(electronic,rock,indie,synthwave,doom metal,) and gaming(competitive FPS-positional audio) 50/50.
Dont care about comfort only sound features.
If someone can compare these 3 would be great. TY
If gaming is important, then HD 598 SR or HD 599 (a bit more extended bass)
The HD 599 qualifies best for music AND gaming. The HD 598 SR is 50$ cheaper and qualifies best for gaming.
If you like a warmer sound signature for music, and punchier / boosted bass, you can also consider the HD 579, but out of the three you mentioned, this is the least fit for gaming because is less transparent.
If this would be my first HD 5xx headphone, today I would buy the HD 599 even if it is more expensive.

Later:
You should care about comfort too! It is 200% important. You'll see what I mean if you will ever have an uncomfortable headphone. In this case all three are virtually identical in comfort and much, much better than other brands / models

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #7,333 of 7,532
Tnx, im getting my HD 598sr soon wihout amp/dac. (first "good" headphone ill have), but im just scared with all these ppl saying they sound dull, no bass etc :/
Anything i can do on pc (got win10) to get most out of the sound?(downloaded latest audio drivers)Saw ppl mentioning some equalizer apo, then some asio / wasapi (no clue) and some other stuff (make sure its on headphone mode, then something in bios to turn on/off)
Would appreciate the help ! thanks !

Jan 17, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #7,334 of 7,532
Tnx, im getting my HD 598sr soon wihout amp/dac. (first "good" headphone ill have), but im just scared with all these ppl saying they sound dull, no bass etc :/
Anything i can do on pc (got win10) to get most out of the sound?(downloaded latest audio drivers)Saw ppl mentioning some equalizer apo, then some asio / wasapi (no clue) and some other stuff (make sure its on headphone mode, then something in bios to turn on/off)
Would appreciate the help ! thanks !
Sound is subjective and depending on your preference, IT CAN sound "dull, no bass". It is best to listen to the headphone for yourself and decide. Maybe find it in a store / showroom / friend and try it before you buy. Or buy it somewhere where there is a good return policy.
Two years ago when I bought the 598 SE, I was like you, afraid that it will have no bass but I liked it very much when I first listened to it. I was so happy with the sound that I had even started a new thread about it :)
It is indeed bass light compared to other headphones but far from "no bass". It has less sub-bass (deep bass) but mid-bass (punch-bass) is even boosted and ok. (for me)
And gaming being important to you, this is one of the best headphones for gaming, so it is worth it for that alone.
Don't worry about tweaking the sound with drivers / EQ yet. You can do that later. The on-board audio of most PCs is already a bit bass-boosted and it can be beneficial for the 598.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 6:16 PM Post #7,335 of 7,532
I'm thinking of buying these to use them for gaming (FPS priority, and GTA 5). However, the comments of the grain of this headphone is turning me off (it's the whole reason why I sold the Audio Technica R70x)

Do any of you find this to be true? And if so, with what kind of instruments/sounds is that grain the most apparent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back