Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Dec 6, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #7,306 of 7,535
Crazy how we all hear things differently. The amps/dacs we plug our cans into and our own hearing making the differences.

I have Porta Pro and had PX100-ii. They're not similar at all. Listening to both out of an iphone, back to back, the Senns were bassier and darker, and actually distorted in the bass at high volume on a certain test track. The Porta Pro did not. Porta Pros are much closer to neutral than the Senns. Porta Pros have a mid-bass bloom to them, but have much more clarity in the mids/highs than the Senns. The Senns covered up so much detail that the Porta Pros revealed.

Like I said, out of an iphone, the 598s have plenty of volume and punch (unless you've got poor hearing or are crazy for that bass). Every headphone needs an amp. It's just that the 598s can sound quite good with built-in amps. The HD 650, had enough volume out of the iphone, but lacked any dynamics or punch. Once plugged into my E10K, they improved noticeably. Dynamics and punch improved even more out of a Magni 2, although soundstage got smaller.

I think most owners would agree the 598s don't need an external amp and can sound quite good with a decent smartphone. The HD 650(6xx) is a waste of a headphone out of most smartphones and not worth buying IMO unless you match it with a decent external amp.

Dec 7, 2017 at 3:43 AM Post #7,307 of 7,535
Unmodified Portapro is good, but not quite PX100/200 good. Boomier bass, poorer clarity, and less natural-sounding. It rocks at its price point, but that's about it.
I have both Porta Pro and PX 100-II and what I hear is exactly the other way around :wink:

Crazy how we all hear things differently. The amps/dacs we plug our cans into and our own hearing making the differences.

I have Porta Pro and had PX100-ii. They're not similar at all. Listening to both out of an iphone, back to back, the Senns were bassier and darker, and actually distorted in the bass at high volume on a certain test track. The Porta Pro did not. Porta Pros are much closer to neutral than the Senns. Porta Pros have a mid-bass bloom to them, but have much more clarity in the mids/highs than the Senns. The Senns covered up so much detail that the Porta Pros revealed.
+1
This is what I hear :)
Porta Pro is more open sounding and cleaner than the PX 100-II.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #7,310 of 7,535
I just ordered a pair of HD598SR from amazon for £83! Can't wait can't wait, it'll be my first open back headphones!

Will you get them tomorrow? I can tell you are excited :)
Enjoy!

Dec 17, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #7,312 of 7,535
Will you get them tomorrow? I can tell you are excited :)
Enjoy!

Nah, it'll take 3 days to arrive and yes, extremely excited! Read a lot about it before deciding that I have to try it.

Once I went open back I could never go to closed again. I hope you enjoy them immensely, as I have.

I hope so too! :)

Dec 17, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #7,313 of 7,535
I just ordered a pair of HD598SR from amazon for £83! Can't wait can't wait, it'll be my first open back headphones!

Good deal. Great 1st pair of open backs. I hope you like them :) - If you do, grab the massdrop 6xx deal for $200. :wink:

Dec 17, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #7,315 of 7,535
Good deal. Great 1st pair of open backs. I hope you like them :) - If you do, grab the massdrop 6xx deal for $200. :wink:

Massdrop deals are not that great for those in the UK by the time we pay import fees and VAT.

Been hit hard more than once.

Dec 17, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #7,316 of 7,535
Massdrop deals are not that great for those in the UK by the time we pay import fees and VAT.

Been hit hard more than once.

I'm sorry. Didn't think of that. Though, even if the total cost after import/vat fees was under say $250, the 6xx would still be a very good deal. Dont know how much those fees would be though. 650's go for cheapest, around $306 (without tax) online on amazon. As of now, anyway.

Dec 17, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #7,317 of 7,535

I read about it, it's essentially the 650 at a way cheaper price is that right? But yeah, unfortunately in the UK and also I'm a student with no income so I'd probably use the 598 for at least a couple of years before I can think of upgrading again aha.

Also try the trial of Sonarworks Reference 4 Systemwide. I prefer the Sonarworks calibration profile for the HD598s to the stock tuning.

Hmm, I have no idea what that is but I'll have a look! Thanks :)

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #7,318 of 7,535
Okay... I just got my HD598 a couple of hours ago. Started listening to it but noticed it's a bit muddy? After an hour of listening, I got used to it and wow.
I think the reason I first thought it was muddy was because I was so used to my Etymotic HF5's clarity and reduced bass. Orchestral music sounds rich with these and the airiness I've been missing out on previously is giving me eargasms! I'm no audiophile but as someone who enjoys good sound reproduction - phew, my first open-back headphones and I sure do love it.

Dec 18, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #7,319 of 7,535
Okay... I just got my HD598 a couple of hours ago. Started listening to it but noticed it's a bit muddy? After an hour of listening, I got used to it and wow.
I think the reason I first thought it was muddy was because I was so used to my Etymotic HF5's clarity and reduced bass. Orchestral music sounds rich with these and the airiness I've been missing out on previously is giving me eargasms! I'm no audiophile but as someone who enjoys good sound reproduction - phew, my first open-back headphones and I sure do love it.

Glad they arrived so quickly and that you are enjoying them. A burn in period always helps even if it is just brain burn in. I find it difficult sometimes to switch among headphones, iems and buds. At first things don't sound quite right...and then they do. Today is a headphone day for me but over the weekend I used iems most of the time. Last week I had a couple of days that were buds only. This is what happens when you end up with too much stuff... which is entirely the fault of headfi! Sometimes I feel overwhelmed You are in great place right now... enjoy!

Dec 19, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #7,320 of 7,535
Anyone here got or just auditioned the HD599? I got the regular 598 some time ago and posted here about the fact I didn't really like them. The 599 on the other hand was enjoyable from the first listen for me. I think the 599 has more bass presence that hits harder and goes deeper too, and also has less veiled highs. I recall the 598 having very weak bass with no depth at all and veiled highs. Other than that, the 599 seems to have a less wide soundstage but I feel like it's more precise in 3d positioning (noticed this while playing videogames). I recall the 598 sounding very "meh" with edm or bass heavy music, and also with genres that benefit from a warm response such as chillout or downtempo (at least imo). On the other hand the 599 is enjoyable even with edm because the bass is very clean and precise.

Anyway, I got rid of the regular 598 some time ago, I just wanted to confirm my impressions with people who used or currently use both.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back