Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Sep 28, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #7,216 of 7,535
Btw, as far as open back HD598 vs SHP9500 goes (I'm sorry. I should have mentioned this in my original reply), it's a toss up really, depending on what you value more. The 9500 has less bass (very light), a bigger soundstage, but a grainy tonal quality across the frequency response. The HD598 has more/even bass (but breaks up at a relatively low excursion threshold), a more textured FR, but smaller SS. I like the 9500's more for video games, and the 598's more for music. - They are so similar though, that if you have one, you really don't need the other. If I'd have to choose, I would give the edge to the HD598. The FR tonality is just richer, and of generally better quality. They are also more comfy (one of the comfiest headphones of all time, if not the comfiest). - The 598Cs is completely different. Personally, I feel they have harsh resonance in the upper mids, slightly muddy low mids/upper bass, and treble drop off. Basically, I found them congested sounding. Not good at all for things like rock or metal, but if you are sensitive to treble, listen to more laid back music, and don't mind a more closed in kind of sound, then maybe they are an option for you. They are pretty even FR wise up until the upper mids. Like GoodBoy said, they are unique. At their current price point, I would not recommend them. The most I'd pay, compared to other cans on the market, is $80. - At $80, I would consider them based on their portability.

Under $100? - ATH-M40x or MDR-7506 is what you are looking for, if based solely on sound quality. However, they aren't the most portable. For portable use under $200, look at ATH-M50x (more comfy and sensitive than M40x, and include a small cord for easy use with smart phone/ portable DAP), Sony MDR-1a (international version), ATH-MSR7 (too mid/upper mid forward for me, and fatiguing to listen to music on, but you may like that sort of sound). Under or around $300? - B&O H6, Meze 99 Neo's, or Classics.

Thanks for the comments. I am not a fan of MDR-7506, for some reason, they aren't comfortable for my ears. I have listened to MDR-1a, love it. Actually, I ordered ATH-MSR7 couple days ago.

Just want to own all the headphones I like. LoL

Sep 28, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #7,218 of 7,535
Thanks for the comments. I am not a fan of MDR-7506, for some reason, they aren't comfortable for my ears. I have listened to MDR-1a, love it. Actually, I ordered ATH-MSR7 couple days ago.

If you loved the MDR-1a's, you'll love the H6's. They are like 1a's, only more refined, clearer, and with an amazing (maybe the best in a closed back) soundstage. But the 1a's are still the velvety chocolate sex :)

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #7,219 of 7,535

I was going to suggest the Meze 99s as well, but since you were asking about 598 Cs and SHP9500, I felt they were WAY outside the price range.

Agree, that MDR-7506 are not that comfortable. Ears get hot and sweaty very quickly with that cheap, fake leather.

Sep 29, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #7,220 of 7,535
I am thinking about getting the Cs version for office/library listening. I currently use SHP9500s at home. Do you guys prefer 598 or SHP9500s?
I own both the 598 (ivories), and shp9500s. The 598's have a warmer, more relaxed sound. FR graphs show a little more upper bass, low mid-range, than the 9500. As well, the 9500 has a more elevated treble. To me, this makes the shp 9500 sound brighter and perhaps more energetic.
Since you already own the 9500; if you like the sound, you may find the 598 too mellow or laid back.On the other hand you may like them, as an alternative.
But it sounds like you may be looking for a closed back headphone.
Others here have made some good suggestions.
By the way, most closed backs will have more bass, or at least more impacful bass, than the open backed 9500 and 598's.

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:43 AM Post #7,221 of 7,535
Maybe my recent purchase history will also help :)

As some of you may know, I was going to sell my HD 598 CS and Bose SoundTrue II and get the Oppo PM-3. Which I did.
The Oppos were great headphones. BUT I found them too flat and "correct" for my purpose - outside walks. I always had to go back and forth between EQ-ing for extra bass and staying flat, depending on the record. Some records (DSOTM for example) sounded heavenly with no eq. Also at 320g, a bit too heavy, although the weight had good distribution. I returned them and got the Sennheiser Momentum 2 Over-Ear, and I love their sound for going outside.
If you liked the MDR-1A, then the Momentum 2 has much better control in bass, very punchy and round, without being overdone (like 1A), the mids are hefty with good body, and perfect tonality, rendering natural vocals, but also enough sparkle and finesse for female vocals. The highs are even more velvety and pleasant than 1A. Well extended but sculpted to eliminate harsh frequencies. I like this headphones very much. Along with the Porta Pros they are the only headphones which I don't have to EQ. I guess I found my sweet spot in sound signature. Yes they are on the warmer side, some may not like this. As for the B&O H6, I also tested them in an Apple Store but with that 5cm ish round opening I don't know how they can be called "over-ears"... Maybe "over-child-ears". I hate the sizing of portable "over-ears" headphones. Even the Momentums with a ~ 6cm top-to-bottom opening are on the smaller side and they just barely fit over ears. Also tested both Mezes, good sound but don't like the headband for outside.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #7,223 of 7,535
Wait. You have to EQ the 598 SE?

You finally came around on the PM-3. Not enough warmth in the low mids.
598 SE: Just ~2dB down around 9K and they are perfect :)
The mids were very good on the Oppos, far far from the harsh resonance of the 598 Cs. But I guess they were too good, I needed a little color, warmth, yes. But mainly was bumping the mid-bass which although perfect for critical listening with good recordings, was a little shy for going out.

Sep 29, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #7,224 of 7,535
I am thinking about getting the Cs version for office/library listening. I currently use SHP9500s at home. Do you guys prefer 598 or SHP9500s?
In terms of sound quality and comfort, I prefer 598SE over SHP9500. SHP9500 really shines with some music. Overall though, I prefer 598SE as it's better with more types of music and has better fit & comfort for me. Although in terms of price / performance ratio, I don't think there are many headphones that can compete with SHP9500.

For closed back headphones, I would recommend you to take a look at Bosshifi B8. Not a well known product, but in my opinion it offers price / performance ratio that is quite similar to that of SHP9500.

Sep 29, 2017 at 6:37 AM Post #7,225 of 7,535
For closed back headphones, I would recommend you to take a look at Bosshifi B8. Not a well known product, but in my opinion it offers price / performance ratio that is quite similar to that of SHP9500.

Excellent idea! I don't know why I did not suggest them...maybe I thought no one in here would know what they are. Mine are the ones offered by Kinden...available on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk. They come with a case and other extras and you do not have to wait for them to come from China. Plus you have the Amazon return policy if you hate them. Very good looking too (beautiful wooden cups) for an office or library. Sound great and are built like a tank. Easily driven as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Over-Ear-Mus...UTF8&qid=1506680749&sr=8-1&keywords=kinden+b8

Are you in the USA @w45inus ?

Sep 29, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #7,226 of 7,535
598 SE: Just ~2dB down around 9K and they are perfect :)
The mids were very good on the Oppos, far far from the harsh resonance of the 598 Cs. But I guess they were too good, I needed a little color, warmth, yes. But mainly was bumping the mid-bass which although perfect for critical listening with good recordings, was a little shy for going out.

Yeah, the one thing that can be annoying on the 598's is that peaky treble resonance. I'm holding on to my PM-3's for a while, as for what they are, they are excellent (if I need to really critically point something out real quick, I'll use them). I alternate every once in a blue, between the H6's and PM-3's, for a refresh.

Sep 30, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #7,227 of 7,535
Excellent idea! I don't know why I did not suggest them...maybe I thought no one in here would know what they are. Mine are the ones offered by Kinden...available on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk. They come with a case and other extras and you do not have to wait for them to come from China. Plus you have the Amazon return policy if you hate them. Very good looking too (beautiful wooden cups) for an office or library. Sound great and are built like a tank. Easily driven as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Over-Ear-Mus...UTF8&qid=1506680749&sr=8-1&keywords=kinden+b8

Are you in the USA @w45inus ?

Yes, I am in the USA. The Kinden headphones look pretty unique. They look heavy though. Are they comfortable for you?

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:02 PM Post #7,228 of 7,535
In terms of sound quality and comfort, I prefer 598SE over SHP9500. SHP9500 really shines with some music. Overall though, I prefer 598SE as it's better with more types of music and has better fit & comfort for me. Although in terms of price / performance ratio, I don't think there are many headphones that can compete with SHP9500.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L75I5N0/ref=crt_ewc_img_srh_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1JZ864PSK2M7I
Are these the same with BossHiFi B8? They look similar, so are their spec.

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #7,229 of 7,535

Yes they are the same. Bosshifi B8 and their variants get discussed often in the Chinese headphone thread. Kinden is just one of the companies that imports and sells them. I like that they include a case.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-on-or-over-ear-headphones.822184/

In fact the B8 is mentioned on the first page. A huge number of headphones are discussed in that thread but you can do a search within it. The B8 is generally well loved and it is not as heavy as it looks. Weight is well distributed. Its 3am here so that is all I can say right now but there are probably people awake in that thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back