Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Nov 29, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #6,769 of 7,535
I have a question seeing as I missed that deal for the Sennheiser GAME ONE headset what makes it different from the actual 558 even though both use the same driver?

I notice on my cheap logitech speakers I get more awesome echo and loudness with a gun shot in games but on my HD 555 it just stops its just like blat blat but on the speakers its like PLO TOOOOOOWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone care to educate me? I feel like such an ass not taking the Game One the only other solution I can think off is a used like new condition of the HD 558 and the 2.5mm mic boom similar to the VMODA that attaches. There is also the option of the shp 9500 and the vmoda boom

But I am really interested in what makes a good Gaming Headset and why

Nov 29, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #6,770 of 7,535
My HD598CS came half an hour ago, so all I can say so far is about argonomics. They're super tight so tight it's almost painful. Maybe because they're new? And I'm not talking about the band, which is super comfy and light on the head. I'm talking about cups super tight in fact left cup is slightly touching my ear and I have small close to head ears. Another thing I dislike right from the bat is the remote on the shorter cable, which is situated too high. It touches my chest and it's super evident and annoying when listening in t-shirt.

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #6,771 of 7,535
  My HD598CS came half an hour ago, so all I can say so far is about argonomics. They're super tight so tight it's almost painful. Maybe because they're new? And I'm not talking about the band, which is super comfy and light on the head. I'm talking about cups super tight in fact left cup is slightly touching my ear and I have small close to head ears. Another thing I dislike right from the bat is the remote on the shorter cable, which is situated too high. It touches my chest and it's super evident and annoying when listening in t-shirt.

I had that issue with "tightness" with the original 598 and the 598 SE as well. But I can't say I've had this issue AT ALL with the Cs. 

Your ears are touching which part of the cup?? 

With regards to the cable, I wouldn't even use that one as people on here have said that in-line remotes can introduce mild amounts of distortion to the sound. So I stay away from them like the plague. lol Maybe I wouldn't notice a difference, but I dunno. So instead you should either get the about 4' braided cable or else the about 4.5' non-braided cable (both are proprietary for Sennheiser headphones). I got the braided then returned it cuz I don't like braided cables, and instead bought the non-braided. The non-braided has the same indent for "twist and lock" into the headphones, but for some reason it won't actually lock in. But I don't care since it still does snap in and that's all that really matters. The braided one does lock in though. So those are your options. The non-braided (if you choose the USPS shipping option) is like half the cost of the braided, and that's including shipping. 

Note: Per all the user reviews, you won't notice a change in sound with the braided "upgrade" cable. I only had bought it b/c I didn't wanna use the in-line remote cable and the other cable had a 6.3mm connector which doesn't do my Oppo HA-2 any good. lol 

Nov 29, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #6,774 of 7,535

Is that the 598, 598 SE, or the new closed-back 598 Cs??

CS, sorry, thought it was obvious since we've been talking about them for a while.

I took apart the SE which I bought some time ago and they didn't have any glued part, the driver was exposed. Actually I take apart all of my headphones, never ever seen anything like this, not even on the Sennheiser Urbanite XL.

Actually I just remembered that the Urbanite XL also had the driver glued shut.

Nov 29, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #6,775 of 7,535
CS, sorry, thought it was obvious since we've been talking about them for a while.

I took apart the SE which I bought some time ago and they didn't have any glued part, the driver was exposed. Actually I take apart all of my headphones, never ever seen anything like this, not even on the Sennheiser Urbanite XL.
noise isolation / sq tunning

Cam you remove pads?

How did you open back cans?

Nov 29, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #6,776 of 7,535

I figured as much, but the thread is on the 598 so never know if someone is coming in based on that or the most recent topic. lol

Maybe it has something to do with it being closed-back? I dunno. Doesn't change my opinion of it. 

Nov 29, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #6,780 of 7,535
They aren't "trying to hide" anything.  Glued main driver chambers are standard fare in closed-back Sennheisers.

Perhaps to deter mod-itis running rampant these days.

It doesn't do that.  It's just a tacky glue of sorts.  And "mod-itis" isn't a recent trend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back