Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Nov 29, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #6,782 of 7,535
  They aren't "trying to hide" anything.  Glued main driver chambers are standard fare in closed-back Sennheisers.

Actually you are right. I remembered the Urbanite also had the driver glued shut. Thought it was weird but it seems like they indeed do this if the Urbanite was glued as well. I wonder what's the reason. Sealing the driver with a piece of plastic and a sloppy hot glue job didn't look right to me, but what do I know about headphone manufacturing.

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #6,783 of 7,535
  My HD598CS came half an hour ago, so all I can say so far is about argonomics. They're super tight so tight it's almost painful. Maybe because they're new? And I'm not talking about the band, which is super comfy and light on the head. I'm talking about cups super tight in fact left cup is slightly touching my ear and I have small close to head ears. Another thing I dislike right from the bat is the remote on the shorter cable, which is situated too high. It touches my chest and it's super evident and annoying when listening in t-shirt.

Interesting.  I have no issue with tightness with the Cs and my head is bigger than average.  Cs are even more comfy than the open 598 I own which are already very comfortable.  Open 598, my ears would occasionally just barely touch the inside cup.  Small adjustment fixes that.  No such issues with the Cs yet.  I'm really surprised you're having tightness issues.  Did you try adjusting the headband to a larger size?  I found that the only time I ever had comfort issued with my open 598 was when the headband was notched to a size too small for my head.  If nothing works, maybe, just maybe, they're defective???

Can't speak for the remote as I've not used that cable yet.

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #6,784 of 7,535

Actually you are right. I remembered the Urbanite also had the driver glued shut. Thought it was weird but it seems like they indeed do this if the Urbanite was glued as well. I wonder what's the reason. Sealing the driver with a piece of plastic and a sloppy hot glue job didn't look right to me, but what do I know about headphone manufacturing.

My guess is the reason is to seal the driver for proper bass response and sound quality tuning.

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #6,785 of 7,535

My guess is the reason is to seal the driver for proper bass response and sound quality tuning.

I think the average buyer is more likely to drop or bang their headphones than they are to open them up and modify.  So I could see it also being for durability reasons.  Alittle adhesive for some stress relief cant hurt over just screws and plastic incase of a drops and bangs.  When things get loose and rattle Sennheiser will get a return or warranty claim.

Nov 29, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #6,786 of 7,535
My HD598CS arrived today and I've been hoping to use it for 70% music and 30% conference calls at work.  Connecting them to an iphone 6 and playing music from Amazon Prime,  I wore them for about two hours today and think they sound better than my HD497 or the Momentum 2.0 bluetooth.  The iphone 6 didn't seem to have trouble driving it as long as I kept the volume above 20% on the phone.  At 30% to 40% volume, it sounded great and bass was good.  

These fit over my ears completely and were comfortable for the two hours.  They didn't seem too tight or loose and I generally wear XL size hats.   I'll wear them for more time tomorrow and see how things feel.   

Nov 29, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #6,787 of 7,535
  My HD598CS arrived today and I've been hoping to use it for 70% music and 30% conference calls at work.  Connecting them to an iphone 6 and playing music from Amazon Prime,  I wore them for about two hours today and think they sound better than my HD497 or the Momentum 2.0 bluetooth.  The iphone 6 didn't seem to have trouble driving it as long as I kept the volume above 20% on the phone.  At 30% to 40% volume, it sounded great and bass was good.  

These fit over my ears completely and were comfortable for the two hours.  They didn't seem too tight or loose and I generally wear XL size hats.   I'll wear them for more time tomorrow and see how things feel.   

Nice!!

Nov 30, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #6,788 of 7,535

I had that issue with "tightness" with the original 598 and the 598 SE as well. But I can't say I've had this issue AT ALL with the Cs. 

Your ears are touching which part of the cup?? 

With regards to the cable, I wouldn't even use that one as people on here have said that in-line remotes can introduce mild amounts of distortion to the sound. So I stay away from them like the plague. lol Maybe I wouldn't notice a difference, but I dunno. So instead you should either get the about 4' braided cable or else the about 4.5' non-braided cable (both are proprietary for Sennheiser headphones). I got the braided then returned it cuz I don't like braided cables, and instead bought the non-braided. The non-braided has the same indent for "twist and lock" into the headphones, but for some reason it won't actually lock in. But I don't care since it still does snap in and that's all that really matters. The braided one does lock in though. So those are your options. The non-braided (if you choose the USPS shipping option) is like half the cost of the braided, and that's including shipping. 

Note: Per all the user reviews, you won't notice a change in sound with the braided "upgrade" cable. I only had bought it b/c I didn't wanna use the in-line remote cable and the other cable had a 6.3mm connector which doesn't do my Oppo HA-2 any good. lol 

When the band is stretched too much earcups collapse on ears. Adjusting the band to a more snug fit made them much more loose therefore seems to almost solve a problem with inner cup touching the ear, though sometimes it feels like one ear is  still touching something slightly.... Besides it's worth noting the packaging is not the best for this type of earpads. As soon as i remove them from the box the earpads were crushed and needed time to get back to their original shape. It was super obvious internal box foam was squeezing them therefore making possible to touch my ears.

Thanks for advice about the cables. I will definetly get one. Do you know any cable, which is super flexible? Fabric cable would be the best, but I haven't seen one dedicated for HD598 series

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #6,791 of 7,535
  When the band is stretched too much earcups collapse on ears. Adjusting the band to a more snug fit made them much more loose therefore seems to almost solve a problem with inner cup touching the ear, though sometimes it feels like one ear is  still touching something slightly.... Besides it's worth noting the packaging is not the best for this type of earpads. As soon as i remove them from the box the earpads were crushed and needed time to get back to their original shape. It was super obvious internal box foam was squeezing them therefore making possible to touch my ears.

Thanks for advice about the cables. I will definetly get one. Do you know any cable, which is super flexible? Fabric cable would be the best, but I haven't seen one dedicated for HD598 series

Hmm ok. I guess I could see how making the headband more "snug" could do that. Glad it worked for you! I still can't believe your one ear is touching the speaker driver. Mine are no where near them, unlike my issue with the H6. 

Yeah I could see that too about the packaging. They should've used plastic or some other material that wouldn't crush them. 

You're welcome! Well I prefer the non-braided cable myself because the braided one, when it rubs against my fabric couch seats (etc), it makes kind of a "rope burn" sound (if that makes any sense), which annoys me. lol Plus braided cables never seem to wanna straighten out easily. Also the non-braided is like half the price if you choose the USPS shipping option on that site ($2.86). Only minor con is that even though it HAS the indent for "twist and lock" on Senn headphones, it doesn't seem to actually lock in like the braided one does. But I honestly could care less about this b/c it still SNAPS in which is really all that matters to me. I would also say the non-braided is more flexible too IMO. But up to you. 

Nov 30, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #6,792 of 7,535

Got mine in today and I agree about the fit. Very comfortable. I posted a little initial review in the HD 598 C's thread.

Shane D

Dec 1, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #6,795 of 7,535
Anyone else experiencing bass problems with the regular HD 598?

Whenever I crank up the volumes, the bass starts overpowering the song and distorting the vocals, it's super strange.
I had the same thing when I first ordered the headphones a year ago. Sent them back because I thought the drivers were damaged and got refunded.

Now I tried to give them another chance and the same problem occurs which makes me think this is something common, but I've never read anything on this forum about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back