Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Dec 1, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #6,796 of 7,535
Anyone else experiencing bass problems with the regular HD 598?

Whenever I crank up the volumes, the bass starts overpowering the song and distorting the vocals, it's super strange.

I had the same thing when I first ordered the headphones a year ago. Sent them back because I thought the drivers were damaged and got refunded.

Now I tried to give them another chance and the same problem occurs which makes me think this is something common, but I've never read anything on this forum about it.

I had that distorting issue when I tried the 598 SE, but not on my Cs. So I dunno.

Dec 1, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #6,797 of 7,535
  Anyone else experiencing bass problems with the regular HD 598?

Whenever I crank up the volumes, the bass starts overpowering the song and distorting the vocals, it's super strange.
I had the same thing when I first ordered the headphones a year ago. Sent them back because I thought the drivers were damaged and got refunded.

Now I tried to give them another chance and the same problem occurs which makes me think this is something common, but I've never read anything on this forum about it.

To answer your question, no, I've not experienced that.  First of all, how loud are you going before hearing distortion?  It's normal for pretty much any headphone to exhibit audible distortion at really high volume levels.  They all have limitations.

Dec 1, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #6,798 of 7,535

To answer your question, no, I've not experienced that.  First of all, how loud are you going before hearing distortion?  It's normal for pretty much any headphone to exhibit audible distortion at really high volume levels.  They all have limitations.

Listening a little bit louder than normal.
Other headphones can take those levels easily, that's why I find it so strange.
Also had the 598C here last week to test them out and they didn't have this problem at all.

Dec 1, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #6,799 of 7,535

Also had the 598C here last week to test them out and they didn't have this problem at all.

That is strange.  I've blasted my ivory 598s at times to levels above comfort level, and never heard distortion.  What type of music are you listening to, and do you have any bass boost on or EQ'd in on your player?  It's possible that when presented with boosted bass on bassy tracks, that the 598 exhibit distortion at lower volume levels than other cans.

Dec 1, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #6,800 of 7,535

Also, I've read here somewhere that the 598 have an impedance spike around 100 Hz.  They do not have a flat impedance across the entire audible frequency spectrum like many other cans.  I believe I read this could make them sound super bassy when plugged into certain equipment.  Did you try plugging them to a different source to recreate the problem?

Dec 1, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #6,801 of 7,535

That is strange.  I've blasted my ivory 598s at times to levels above comfort level, and never heard distortion.  What type of music are you listening to, and do you have any bass boost on or EQ'd in on your player?  It's possible that when presented with boosted bass on bassy tracks, that the 598 exhibit distortion at lower volume levels than other cans.

No EQ, listening to everything on Flat in Musicbee.
I mainly listen to Hip Hop. Just noticed that the rattling bass is not present in every song, it mainly occurs in songs with heavy sub-bass.

I think the impendance spike could be it. When I plug them into my phone, the problem is gone.
Too bad I can't use them properly on my PC, as I really like the sound signature.

Dec 1, 2016 at 6:33 PM Post #6,802 of 7,535

I mainly listen to Hip Hop. Just noticed that the rattling bass is not present in every song, it mainly occurs in songs with heavy sub-bass.

I think the impendance spike could be it. When I plug them into my phone, the problem is gone.
Too bad I can't use them properly on my PC, as I really like the sound signature.

I'm assuming you're using them directly from PCs headphone jack?  If so, you can buy a USB powered DAC/AMP like the Fiio E10K.  I believe you need to look for an amp with a low output impedance.  I believe the Fiio line has pretty low output impedance.

Also, the 598 are not the best cans for hip hop or any electronic or bass heavy music.  They do a good job with those styles, but they really shine with music played with real instruments. 

Dec 1, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #6,803 of 7,535

Try the bass test on here

http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Dec 1, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #6,804 of 7,535

Lower end Sennheisers have this problem. My first Sennheiser hd449 was rattling with bass heavy content, especially with action movies with heavy sub bass scenes. With eq it was horrible. HD598 also had this. Dt990 had this, but at really high wolumes or with heavy sub bass content. T1 maybe rattled if i remember correctly if you push them to the very extreme volumes. HD8 DJ, HD650 and HD800S was never rattled even with extreme scenarios like +15db bass boost + Fiio e12 bass boost and with a wolume at above 100db. HD598 drivers doesnt have big excursion or simply put drivers didnt have much space to move inside.

Dec 2, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #6,805 of 7,535
Also, I've read here somewhere that the 598 have an impedance spike around 100 Hz.  They do not have a flat impedance across the entire audible frequency spectrum like many other cans.  I believe I read this could make them sound super bassy when plugged into certain equipment.  Did you try plugging them to a different source to recreate the problem?
I can confirm that. I did some crude measurements with an spl meter. I measured bass frequencies when plugged into my Yamaha reciever's headphone jack,which has a very high output impedance, and my JDS Labs 02 headphone amp, which has a very low output impedance.

The frequency response was +3db at50hz, rising to +8db at125hz then rolling off to +3db at250hz,when plugged into my Yamaha reciever as compared to plugged into my o2.

I can make my 598's into bass monsters; although the bass becomes looser, less damped, less controlled, and more prone to distortion as volume is increased.

Dec 2, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #6,806 of 7,535
Lower end Sennheisers have this problem. My first Sennheiser hd449 was rattling with bass heavy content, especially with action movies with heavy sub bass scenes. With eq it was horrible. HD598 also had this. Dt990 had this, but at really high wolumes or with heavy sub bass content. T1 maybe rattled if i remember correctly if you push them to the very extreme volumes. HD8 DJ, HD650 and HD800S was never rattled even with extreme scenarios like +15db bass boost + Fiio e12 bass boost and with a wolume at above 100db. HD598 drivers doesnt have big excursion or simply put drivers didnt have much space to move inside.

+15 db bass boost?  Volume above 100 db?  Was this a torture test?  I can't believe anyone actually listens like that.

All cans have limitations and you can reveal distortion on any, given enough amplitude.  The 598s should not exhibit audible distortion within reasonable volume levels matched to a low output impedance amp.

Dec 2, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #6,807 of 7,535

100db is in hearing loss territory and with a 15db bass boost no wonder they rattle.  At those levels I am surprised your teeth do not rattle...

Dec 2, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #6,808 of 7,535
I found some interesting news. According to some headphone store representative, the open HD598 are being discontinued look in the comment section in this 599s review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw3CfC5Jqnk

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #6,809 of 7,535

Oh god, I feel pity about your ears guys.
Headphones don't have problems, YOU have problems. And you will damage your hearing before you know it.
Headphones have physical limitations but are replaceable.
Your ears also have physical limitations but are NOT replaceable! Hearing loss is permanent.
Please go easy on the volume or you will regret it sooner or later.
Also don't do insane EQ-ing. Lower the frequencies that bother you, don't increase anything. If you want more bass lower the mids / highs instead of increasing the bass.
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/hearing-problems/Pages/tips-to-protect-hearing.aspx

Dec 2, 2016 at 7:26 PM Post #6,810 of 7,535
Originally Posted by KopaneDePooj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Headphones don't have problems, YOU have problems.

And we have a winner! Congrats to  KopaneDePooj  for deciphering Head-Fi!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back