Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Mar 17, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #5,987 of 7,535
OK, let's recap:

-1993: the original HD580 is introduced as Sennheiser's new flagship.

-1995: Sennheiser celebrate their 50th anniversary by updating their flagship - enter the HD580 Jubilee Edition.

-1997: the Jubilee becomes the new standard flagship and gets rechristened as the HD600.

-2003: the flagship gets a brother, the HD650.

-2004: Sennheiser introduces their entry-level 5X5 series with the HD595 (along with the HD515 and HD555).

-2009: a new flagship is born - meet the HD800.

-2010: after a cosmetic surgery, the HD5X5 series is reborn as the 5X8 series - here come the HD518, 558 and 598.

-2012: to bridge the gap between the HD600 and 800, Sennheiser brings to us the unique HD700.

-2015: just like the HD600 before it, the HD800 gets a new sibling, as the HD800S is introduced.

Did I get it right this time?
smily_headphones1.gif

This should be posted somewhere. Well done

Mar 19, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #5,989 of 7,535
Mar 20, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #5,993 of 7,535
I picked up an LG V10 yesterday, and damn it sounds good with the 598se's. I listened all night last night without feeling the need to fire up my much higher end rig. Does it sound as good as my Bifrost-Sansui 9090-HD650 rig? No, but I would say 85% there out of a phone! Wow...

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #5,995 of 7,535
i just received my hd 598. i don't know what happens to the sound stage of every headphone i buy ....maybe it gets reduced during shipping .......are people exaggerating too much while giving review on headfi or my understanding of sound stage is wrong.... If this headphone can produce effect of sound coming out of head by just few centimeters then my 50$ earphones can provide that type of effect.

Compared to fidelio x2, they are very bright. Overall i find hd 598 better than fidelio x2 as high frequencies are not sucked by this headphone like x2. This type of tuning is great for me - enough bass but more emphasis on mids and highs. Most important advantage of this headphone is comfort, x2's are nothing compared to 598 in this department imo. I can wear these for hours but x2 pads starts itching my ears after 5 min.

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #5,996 of 7,535
i just received my hd 598. i don't know what happens to the sound stage of every headphone i buy ....maybe it gets reduced during shipping .......are people exaggerating too much while giving review on headfi or my understanding of sound stage is wrong.... If this headphone can produce effect of sound coming out of head by just few centimeters then my 50$ earphones can provide that type of effect.

Compared to fidelio x2, they are very bright. Overall i find hd 598 better than fidelio x2 as high frequencies are not sucked by this headphone like x2. This type of tuning is great for me - enough bass but more emphasis on mids and highs. Most important advantage of this headphone is comfort, x2's are nothing compared to 598 in this department imo. I can wear these for hours but x2 pads starts itching my ears after 5 min.

Soundstage, particularly in headphones, is simply a perception of an illusion. You cannot measure soundstage in headphones apart from using your own listening skills and comparing relatively. If you perceive cheap earbuds to have the same soundstage as open over-ear headphones, count yourself lucky.

Totally agree with your second paragraph regarding sound and comfort in relation to the X2.

Mar 21, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #5,997 of 7,535

The middle of the following song is very left-right and easily sounds at least 6 inches outside of my head on each side with numerous headphones.  The HD598 is very wide left-right.  If this sounds only barely outside your head with them, then I don't know.

Mar 21, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #5,998 of 7,535
Soundstage, particularly in headphones, is simply a perception of an illusion. You cannot measure soundstage in headphones apart from using your own listening skills and comparing relatively. If you perceive cheap earbuds to have the same soundstage as open over-ear headphones, count yourself lucky.

Totally agree with your second paragraph regarding sound and comfort in relation to the X2.

Actually when i listen to binaural audio then the headphones show their true capability in soundstage but then my earphones also perform on par with headphones on these recordings. This type of experience definitely gives wow effect but i bought specially open back headphones thinking that it will give me that soundstage even on normal tracks. I have specially downloaded 96 Khz/ 24 bit tracks to test but soundstage wise not much improvement compared to normal quality files. Practically most of the songs are not recorded as binaural tracks so there is no use of open back design. Even if they could be downloaded then my earphones could do that for me so there is nothing exceptional about open back design.I think there should be special mention of this in every review so that the reader does not get misguided.

The middle of the following song is very left-right and easily sounds at least 6 inches outside of my head on each side with numerous headphones.  The HD598 is very wide left-right.  If this sounds only barely outside your head with them, then I don't know.

This songs definitely makes hd 598 show its soundstage capabilities, i could understand what you said but again this is binaural track.

Mar 21, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #5,999 of 7,535

This songs definitely makes hd 598 show its soundstage capabilities, i could understand what you said but again this is binaural track.

At least you know big soundstages do exist then and aren't just people making them up.

The same applies to non-binaural tracks.  Or watch some movies with "epic" fight scenes and similar, with arrows and things flying back and forth and trumpets blaring from the left and right.  There's a scene in a Hobbit movie where there's mostly silence except the guy throws an axe from left to right.  With multiple headphones, it flies past my shoulder.

You've been talking about earphones.  I assume that means IEMs.  IEMs can be great left-right, in a narrow way.  (Some do have big global soundstages. I'm just generalizing here.)  The HD598 is actually somewhat similar in that regard imo, and I do criticize it for being overrated in global soundstage size relative to other headphones with big soundstages.  The front of the soundstage is mostly in my face, and the height could be better.  But it is very wide in left-right soundstage.   

Mar 21, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #6,000 of 7,535

At least you know big soundstages do exist then and aren't just people making them up.

The same applies to non-binaural tracks.  Or watch some movies with "epic" fight scenes and similar, with arrows and things flying back and forth and trumpets blaring from the left and right.  There's a scene in a Hobbit movie where there's mostly silence except the guy throws an axe from left to right.  With multiple headphones, it flies past my shoulder.

You've been talking about earphones.  I assume that means IEMs.  IEMs can be great left-right, in a narrow way.  (Some do have big global soundstages. I'm just generalizing here.)  The HD598 is actually somewhat similar in that regard imo, and I do criticize it for being overrated in global soundstage size relative to other headphones with big soundstages.  The front of the soundstage is mostly in my face, and the height could be better.  But it is very wide in left-right soundstage.   

Initially i bought fidelio x2 after reading on headfi of its great sound stage capabilities but that headphone disappointed me but on binaural tracks it was great. Same thing went with hd 598 though i would rate 598's much above x2 in sound quality. I think the soundstage depends only on how recording is done. if recording is done in specific way like binaural then most of the iem's and headphones would give you great sound effect. I literally thought the guy doing haircut in barbershop video was far behind me, all of the 3d plane was filled with sound. If the recording is not done specifially for this purpose than i doubt even 10000$ headphones could help. At the end the brain would process audio signals and if the audio signals are not created that way i doubt headphones can do much. i think same goes for movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back