Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Mar 5, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #5,913 of 7,535
Just got these from AWD that was likely a pricing error.  Really liking them so far, very close sounding to my much older hd595.  I'm really loving the Ivory finish on them.

I've been using my 595 for almost 8 years and they still look and sound great, here's hoping my 598 will stand the test of time as well.

They will be primarily gaming headphones, as my main desktop setup I'll still use my hd650 most of the time.

Mar 5, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #5,914 of 7,535
Just got these from AWD that was likely a pricing error.  Really liking them so far, very close sounding to my much older hd595.  I'm really loving the Ivory finish on them.

I've been using my 595 for almost 8 years and they still look and sound great, here's hoping my 598 will stand the test of time as well.

They will be primarily gaming headphones, as my main desktop setup I'll still use my hd650 most of the time.

As I posted on the HD650 thread yesterday, I still listen to my 40+ year old Sennheiser HD414's (google them) and they still sound absolutely terrific. Actually they have never sounded better through my current headphone amp and associated equipment! Treat your headphones well and they will continue to provide you with years of listening enjoyment.

Mar 5, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #5,915 of 7,535
As I posted on the HD650 thread yesterday, I still listen to my 40+ year old Sennheiser HD414's (google them) and they still sound absolutely terrific. Actually they have never sounded better through my current headphone amp and associated equipment! Treat your headphones well and they will continue to provide you with years of listening enjoyment.

Maybe it is like leather or a high quality pair of jeans, time actually make them more supple and with more nuances in tones (colors).

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #5,917 of 7,535

Yep, I'll still keep and occasionally listen to my hd595 for many more years hopefully.  I baby all my electronics.

Mar 5, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #5,918 of 7,535

That is mind-bending!

Mar 5, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #5,919 of 7,535
  Hi guys! I'm newbie here and I need your advice. Nuforce uDAC 3 and FiiO E10K and E11K, which one among those is the best for HD598?

I see from your other thread that you're looking for a portable solution.  The E10K isn't strictly speaking a portable device but it can be made to work using an OTG cable and possibly an external battery pack.  I haven't owned either of the other products but it appears the uDAC-3 also does not have its own battery.

So, of the 3 you listed, the E11K is the only one that meets your requirements without extra trouble.  It should also have more than enough power for the HD598.

I should also point out that the E10K and uDAC 3 are amp/DACs, while the E11K is just an amp.  This should be obvious but thought I'd mention it.  You might want to look into the newer FiiO Q1 or more expensive E17K which are portable battery-powered amp/DAC combos.

Mar 5, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #5,920 of 7,535

I see from your other thread that you're looking for a portable solution.  The E10K isn't strictly speaking a portable device but it can be made to work using an OTG cable and possibly an external battery pack.  I haven't owned either of the other products but it appears the uDAC-3 also does not have its own battery.

So, of the 3 you listed, the E11K is the only one that meets your requirements without extra trouble.  It should also have more than enough power for the HD598.

I should also point out that the E10K and uDAC 3 are amp/DACs, while the E11K is just an amp.  This should be obvious but thought I'd mention it.  You might want to look into the newer FiiO Q1 or more expensive E17K which are portable battery-powered amp/DAC combos.

Sorry for overlapping threads, I'm currently getting good offers for those combos so it's kinda in a hurry. And I completely ignored Q1 until you pointed out this option. Well, it's not exactly that I'm looking for portable solution for mobile (smart phone), in fact I will use HD598 on my almost-unmovable laptop, but, you know, those portable amps/DACs are in my budget at this moment.
So, please tell me more about Q1. Is this almost-brand-new amp/DAC the safest choice to be paired with HD598? 

Mar 5, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #5,921 of 7,535
  Sorry for overlapping threads, I'm currently getting good offers for those combos so it's kinda in a hurry. And I completely ignored Q1 until you pointed out this option. Well, it's not exactly that I'm looking for portable solution for mobile (smart phone), in fact I will use HD598 on my almost-unmovable laptop, but, you know, those portable amps/DACs are in my budget at this moment.
So, please tell me more about Q1. Is this almost-brand-new amp/DAC the safest choice to be paired with HD598? 

If it's only for a laptop use then I can recommend the E10K because that's the only one I've experienced with the HD598 - it's a popular choice if you don't need mobile/portable.

I don't really know much about FiiO's newer products but the Q1 looks like their cheapest portable amp/DAC.  Again though, if only for laptop use and from the choices you mentioned, go for the E10K.

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #5,922 of 7,535

Agreed with @Hammy here - go for the E10k and HD598 combo, as it sounds pretty good.

Mar 5, 2016 at 5:21 PM Post #5,923 of 7,535
  Hi guys! I'm newbie here and I need your advice. Nuforce uDAC 3 and FiiO E10K and E11K, which one among those is the best for HD598?

I only have experience with the E10K, and although I've been critical of it sounding a bit bright and low in the bass (with bass boost off), I think for the price of around $80 USD, it sounds pretty good.  I think a lot of my criticism is also due to my source material (streamed Tivo shows can sound crappy but Spotify 320Kbps streams sound quite good).  The build quality is very good (light but solid feel; nice finish).  I think for the money, you can't go wrong with it.

Also, try to make sure you buy the real thing and not a fake.  If buying new, buy from an authorized Fiio dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back