Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #5,941 of 7,535
I bought this cable about 3 months ago. So far it's holding up great, looks/feels amazing, and no sound quality issues at all. I liked it so much I bought a second to lug around with my m50x.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KAKGQCQ

Mar 9, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #5,942 of 7,535
I bought this cable about 3 months ago. So far it's holding up great, looks/feels amazing, and no sound quality issues at all. I liked it so much I bought a second to lug around with my m50x.

Can't go wrong for $20! Purchased that cable about 1 week after I purchased my HD598 and have been using it for 2 years now. Perfect length, perfect construction.

beerchug.gif

Mar 9, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #5,943 of 7,535

I've had that cable for about a year and a half, very good quality 

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #5,944 of 7,535
Got them.... Their highs and mids take a big dump on my 80ohm dt770 and ath m50x. As i said before this are not my usual cup of tea since i usually prefer closed v ahaped can (hd25, m50x, momentum, bla bla bla) but its impossible to deny that the highs and mids are clearly superior to the other 2. M50x is better for faster rock and edm of course, but when listening to stuff like keane, coldplay, travis, even arctic monkeys, they sound definitly superior because the soundstage is much better (specially against the m50xs, against the beyers not so much) and mostly because vocals and accoustic guitars pop out much more than on my other 2 headphones.

Heres 2 photos of them.... :)

I have one question though.... Does the housing on the hd598 release a bit of cracking sounds every now & then...? While using them i get a ocasional pop crack but its something that is super low anda random.... Even my m50xs housing makes some cracking noises while using them so i suppose this is normal right?

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #5,945 of 7,535
Got them.... Their highs and mids take a big dump on my 80ohm dt770 and ath m50x. As i said before this are not my usual cup of tea since i usually prefer closed v ahaped can (hd25, m50x, momentum, bla bla bla) but its impossible to deny that the highs and mids are clearly superior to the other 2. M50x is better for faster rock and edm of course, but when listening to stuff like keane, coldplay, travis, even arctic monkeys, they sound definitly superior because the soundstage is much better (specially against the m50xs, against the beyers not so much) and mostly because vocals and accoustic guitars pop out much more than on my other 2 headphones.

Heres 2 photos of them....
smily_headphones1.gif

I have one question though.... Does the housing on the hd598 release a bit of cracking sounds every now & then...? While using them i get a ocasional pop crack but its something that is super low anda random.... Even my m50xs housing makes some cracking noises while using them so i suppose this is normal right?

My 598 does creak from time to time. It isn't bothersome to me as it is just the normal use and movement of the housing that is causing the sound. I think it is normal.

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #5,946 of 7,535
Thank you serman.... You know, maybe since i am not used to open headphones thats why it catches my attention a bit more. As i said its nothing that ruins the pleasure of listening, simply random low noise creaking sounds from the cups that Pop up every now & then. Nothing major i am sure.... Just making sure i am not the only one....

Mar 9, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #5,948 of 7,535

My 598 does creak from time to time. It isn't bothersome to me as it is just the normal use and movement of the housing that is causing the sound. I think it is normal.

I have two HD598 and an HD558 and don't think that is normal.  Headphones making noise that isn't music usually isn't normal. 

I have a headphone with an odd spring-tension design inside the cups that can make creaking noises, and it's "common" for them, but it's still not "normal."

Mar 10, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #5,949 of 7,535
Pedro Oliveira Welcome to the HD598 fanclub! May I ask why you went for the ivories? I thoughy you said you liked the black ones better?

Hi veggie... :)

No. Actually i always liked the ivories. Also i bought them from a friend for 70 euros so even if o did not like the color i could not complain.... :)

@DangerClose

Its from outside. So its creaky housing. I think you are very lucky then... Mdr 1r creaked, m50x creaks, and now hd598 as well.... Maybe i am unlucky but i guess some creaking is sometimes part of the package.... A perfect noise free housing is very rare.... At least from my experience.

But as i said is not always.... It just a tiny pop\creak that appears from time to time. I think even in its happier days sennheiser qc would not qualify this as a problem

But do you guys think i should worry...? Everyone else has creak free hd598s?

Mar 10, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #5,950 of 7,535
  I am curious how people would describe the bass on their 598. I really don't find mine light. Am I alone?

It's fun using a tone generator to check out headphone range; I found the 598's literally shut out frequencies below 30hz...surely it's "crossed out" or at least it seems like it, possibly to stop them from distorting.  That said 35hz seems to be their lowest within reason, after that it's a sharp cliff. From 80hz on down to 35hz it's a steady drop in db.

My v-shaped sounding iem's (xiaomi hybrids) go only a few decibels lower. 

Below is the link to the site I used, it's fun to use the frequency sweep (and it displays the frequency). It really shows the db peaks and valleys of a "setup". Also funny to be able to say the $30 xiaomi iem's have a remarkably larger range than the 598's....useful if one prefers frequency sweeps to music
tongue_smile.gif

Also check out "binaural beat" on that site; neat stuff...

http://onlinetonegenerator.com/hearingtest.html

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #5,952 of 7,535

It's fun using a tone generator to check out headphone range; I found the 598's literally shut out frequencies below 30hz...surely it's "crossed out" or at least it seems like it, possibly to stop them from distorting.  That said 35hz seems to be their lowest within reason, after that it's a sharp cliff. From 80hz on down to 35hz it's a steady drop in db.

My v-shaped sounding iem's (xiaomi hybrids) go only a few decibels lower. 

Below is the link to the site I used, it's fun to use the frequency sweep (and it displays the frequency). It really shows the db peaks and valleys of a "setup". Also funny to be able to say the $30 xiaomi iem's have a remarkably larger range than the 598's....useful if one prefers frequency sweeps to music
tongue_smile.gif

Also check out "binaural beat" on that site; neat stuff...

http://onlinetonegenerator.com/hearingtest.html

Man that is a cool link. I could hear all the way up to 16.5kHz with my hd598SE, is that good or bad? With the binaural beats I could hear down to 20Hz with my HD598SE with the volume turned up a bit more than normal. My desktop speakers were still vibrating all the way down to 10hz, I just couldnt hear it anymore lol

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #5,953 of 7,535

Man that is a cool link. I could hear all the way up to 16.5kHz with my hd598SE, is that good or bad? With the binaural beats I could hear down to 20Hz with my HD598SE with the volume turned up a bit more than normal.

I have no idea (haven't tried enough different headphones) if that's good or not. For me I only heard up to 15k through the 598's though that is likely due to old ears. Through my speakers I can hear 16.5k, but is likely just the reflected sound.

I'll try out the binuaral beats with low frequency. On the 598's I could only hear down to 30hz and then it was nothing like a switch flipped.

With the full spectrum sweep on the 598's do you notice a peak around 7khz too?

Yea it is a neat site for sure.

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #5,954 of 7,535

I have no idea (haven't tried enough different headphones) if that's good or not. For me I only heard up to 15k through the 598's though that is likely due to old ears. Through my speakers I can hear 16.5k, but is likely just the reflected sound.

I'll try out the binuaral beats with low frequency. On the 598's I could only hear down to 30hz and then it was nothing like a switch flipped.

With the full spectrum sweep on the 598's do you notice a peak around 7khz too?

Yea it is a neat site for sure.

5500Hz and 7500Hz seemed to peak in my hearing.

Mar 10, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #5,955 of 7,535
Based on sonarworks calibration FR curve for the 598s, it shows a 3-4 db peak around 5 and 8 kHz and a 2-3 db peak in the low mids.  This is pretty obvious from listening to the 598s that they're slightly warm in the low mids and slightly boosted in the mid-treble region where most female vocals shine.  I've read arguments on these boards with some calling the 598s warm while others calling them bright.  They're kind of both, really.  I would describe them as slightly warm overall, but with slightly boosted mids/treble to make vocals pop a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back