Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Feb 29, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #5,881 of 7,535
I'm about ready to order the Ivory set. I would prefer the black SE but too many reports of it sounding brighter are putting me off.

I've only owned Supelux 668b they sounded ok but I rarely use them. I'm hoping this is a good step up from the 668b I'm all good with colored warm detailed highs and minimal bass.

Feb 29, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #5,882 of 7,535
@VeggiePopper
  Are you SURE you don't work for Sennheiser? 
normal_smile%20.gif

Did I sound THAT MUCH of a fanboy? Or should I take that as a compliment (as in "You were so convincing that you should be hired as their PR guy")? Haha! I wish I did! But no, I don't work for them (the only Sennheiser store in my country lies a few blocks away from my workplace, though), and I think the new Orpheus is overpriced and overrated. That should be proof enough that I don't work for them XD

It's just that I love my two Sennheiser sets so much, that I can't stop recommending them. Besides, I'm no audiophile so these two being my first pairs of true headphones, blew my mind away and introduced me to a whole new world. I know there are better headphones from other brands - if you read my first post in this thread, you'll find that my next step is the Q701, my ultimate goal being the Fidelio X2; also, from recent posts I have the HE400S in my wishlist as well. And in terms of closed cans, I've been drooling over the new MDR-AP100 for a couple of weeks. But for headphones this expensive (sorry, I'm a poor guy), upgrading every two weeks is not a choice, so I want to love my Momentum and 598 to their last note and then move on to something better.

Edits: few grammar corrections and the usual typos. Never can get it right when posting from my phone.

Feb 29, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #5,883 of 7,535
I'm about ready to order the Ivory set. I would prefer the black SE but too many reports of it sounding brighter are putting me off.

I've only owned Supelux 668b they sounded ok but I rarely use them. I'm hoping this is a good step up from the 668b I'm all good with colored warm detailed highs and minimal bass.

From what I understand, the standard 598 and the 598SE share production, so both models are prone to these recent QC issues. It's just that since the SE's introduction, most 598 purchases have been for the black editions, so the latest impressions, either good or bad, have been for the SE, making it seem that the QC issues are exclusive to the Special Edition, but I'm sure the ivories are just as prone to these issues and variations.

Nah, the ivories are much more handsome (to my taste, seems you're the opposite), just go get the ivories. Either way, you won't get wrong with them. Order the one you like the most and enjoy them; if you get a bad pair, you can always ask for an exchange.

Feb 29, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #5,884 of 7,535

Get both sets and compare them.  We're always looking for more data points!  LOL

Feb 29, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #5,886 of 7,535
  @VeggiePopper  Yeah, you sound like a Sennheiser advertisement sometimes. LOL  It's all good.  Nothing wrong with loving your cans and recommending them.

I recommend the 598 because it is just so damn musical. Of all my cans, it stands out as the most musically satisfying listening experience, even if it is not the most technically gifted of my cans (it isn't). I guess I'm a homer, too.
wink.gif

Feb 29, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #5,887 of 7,535

I recommend the 598 because it is just so damn musical. Of all my cans, it stands out as the most musically satisfying listening experience, even if it is not the most technically gifted of my cans (it isn't). I guess I'm a homer, too.
wink.gif

I don't want to start a discussion on this thread, but ''musical'' is very subjective. For me personally, a ''musical'' sound is one that is always very clear and realistic, with as little harshness as possible. For most people however it seems like a ''musical'' sound is one that emphasizes mids and bass.

Mar 1, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #5,889 of 7,535
  I don't want to start a discussion on this thread, but ''musical'' is very subjective. For me personally, a ''musical'' sound is one that is always very clear and realistic, with as little harshness as possible. For most people however it seems like a ''musical'' sound is one that emphasizes mids and bass.

While we're at it, my definition of musical is a sound that is smooth and fluid, as opposed to dry and analytical.  Musical cans put an emphasis on feeling the emotion of the music as opposed to analytical cans that are more about hearing the technical aspects of the music.  The 598s are the most musical cans I've heard that still have just the right amount of detail.  The most analytical cans I've heard were the Oppo PM-3.  Those were very detailed, but had a dry and boring sound to the music.  I want to feel the music like I would in a live performance, not hear every little detail like I'm a sound engineer in the studio.

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #5,891 of 7,535
I just said explained why I love my headphones, per your own request. LOL

Also, as I said, if you're looking for a closed headphone that looks cool and has a good sound, you might as well try the MDR-100AAP h.ear by Sony (and then tell me your impressions
biggrin.gif
)

I listed my beloved HD598 for sale yesterday.  They'll probably take a while to sell because I'm not letting them go without a fight.

Thoughts:

• I don't think I'll ever buy another non-Sennheiser headphone.
  • Wireless headphones can be awesome.
  • See 1.

If one doesn't already exist, we should start an official Sennheiser fan club. 
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #5,892 of 7,535
I just said explained why I love my headphones, per your own request. LOL

Also, as I said, if you're looking for a closed headphone that looks cool and has a good sound, you might as well try the MDR-100AAP h.ear by Sony (and then tell me your impressions
biggrin.gif
)

You've listened to the Sonys?  How do they compare to the 598s, or even Momentum?

Mar 1, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #5,893 of 7,535

I listed my beloved HD598 for sale yesterday.  They'll probably take a while to sell because I'm not letting them go without a fight.

Thoughts:

• I don't think I'll ever buy another non-Sennheiser headphone.
  • Wireless headphones can be awesome.
  • See 1.

If one doesn't already exist, we should start an official Sennheiser fan club. 
wink.gif

Sorry you are getting rid of them.
frown.gif
  Count me in on the club thing. I cannot imagine unloading my 598. I love it too much.

Mar 2, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #5,895 of 7,535

Thoughts:

1. I don't think I'll ever buy another non-Sennheiser headphone.
  2. Wireless headphones can be awesome.
  3. See 1.

If one doesn't already exist, we should start an official Sennheiser fan club.  :wink:

Count me in on the Sennheiser fan club! May I ask why are you selling them? It's such a shame; I would buy them in a heartbeat (I'm still wishing for an ivory pair) if I wasn't so financially broken.

You've listened to the Sonys?  How do they compare to the 598s, or even Momentum?

I only listened them in a fixed demo station, they wouldn't allow me to plug them to my own device for a proper comparison. However, the demo track sounded slightly warm, highs seemed more prominent than with both Senns; couldn't tell if it was the song's mastering or the headphones' soundsignature, though. And oh my! Those are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn! Even moreso than my Lennons. So not a very in-depth audition, but seemed promising to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back