Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #5,386 of 7,535
As of now I am really happy with my ipod hd598se combo... I am planning on assembling a pc very soon. And sound will be one of the primary focus. I wish sennheiser come with something with the looks of the Ivory hd 598 with similar tonal quality. That will be an instant buy for me.. The hd 598se are quite OK for portable use too, not too heavy and the sound leakage is quite low. They are not ideal for commute but for taking a stroll, they are ideal. So until hd 698 or something similar hd 598se is my primary..

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #5,389 of 7,535
I really like the flat response of my ipod. Will you suggest me a DAC that has a flat response. Also is an amp necessary?

I have heard that some headphones are picky about dac and amp.

Once again, I'm gonna go ahead and say O2/ODAC stack or Schiit Modi/Magni for the simple reason that they work with just about anything you throw at them and their lack of coloring. For $100 headphones (or around $160) I wouldn't suggest spending more than 2x the price on an amp/dac setup at this level, especially when these are two great choices.

O2/ODAC won't change the sound of your phones but with phones that are picky with the current/voltages being input, you'll obviously need to find setups with greater synergy... Or, open up your O2 and fire up the soldering gun with some modding in mind. (Guess work for the synergy at this point)

Different strokes for different folks.

Dec 17, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #5,390 of 7,535
Once again, I'm gonna go ahead and say O2/ODAC stack or Schiit Modi/Magni for the simple reason that they work with just about anything you throw at them and their lack of coloring. For $100 headphones (or around $160) I wouldn't suggest spending more than 2x the price on an amp/dac setup at this level, especially when these are two great choices.

O2/ODAC won't change the sound of your phones but with phones that are picky with the current/voltages being input, you'll obviously need to find setups with greater synergy... Or, open up your O2 and fire up the soldering gun with some modding in mind. (Guess work for the synergy at this point)

Different strokes for different folks.

I definitely will consider them while buying parts for the pc. As for portable gear, it would hurt me to distort the portable form factor of my ipod with any external amp or dac. So as of now I am happy with the ipod. I am soon getting a 128 gb ipod touch. In the future I may consider the likes of astell and Kern if I feel like it. Ak jr is sleek too.

Dec 18, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #5,391 of 7,535
I posted this in the 598 special edition thread, but might as well post it here too. The special edition is on a flash sale at Amazon for $109 right now.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0126HISOO/ref=gbps_img_s-3_3022_6756412c?tag=slickdeals&ascsubtag=86fad6baa5a111e591d532ef7c3245580000&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2292853022&pf_rd_s=slot-3&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_all&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1P90GPPPQ4KCS67W7GB2

Dec 18, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #5,392 of 7,535
Premise: i'm not driving properly the hd650 since i have only the fiio e12 which i don't appreciate that much; i'm not a very audiophile expert.
Hd650 definitely sound even without an amp. I can use them also with my Lg G4 or directly from a Fiio D5 and i must say they surpass my expectations. Fiio E12 is well known as a powerfull portable amp but i think it doesn't bring out hd650 qualities. With Fiio E12  i hear more controlled bass and more volume but nothing more.
I like my hd650 even with my poor setup. They sound more refined and revealing than hd598 with fuller bass but i know i must buy a decent dac/amp to really enjoy them.
If you don't intend to buy expensive stuff, buy hd598 and enjoy them :)

I'm with you...
I may have had it rigged wrong but the e10k e11 and e12 all underwhelmed me. The e17 though, that really fulfilled my expectations at last. Dac + Amp, Simple, totally digital equalizer and powerful.
As for hd598 vs hd650, of course the 650 is a slight improvement, but the cost to improved listening ratio is way off base. I sold my 650 without batting an eye. Took my best friend weeks to get the ivories off me, and only then because the se came out.

Dec 18, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #5,393 of 7,535
I'm with you...
I may have had it rigged wrong but the e10k e11 and e12 all underwhelmed me. The e17 though, that really fulfilled my expectations at last. Dac + Amp, Simple, totally digital equalizer and powerful.
As for hd598 vs hd650, of course the 650 is a slight improvement, but the cost to improved listening ratio is way off base. I sold my 650 without batting an eye. Took my best friend weeks to get the ivories off me, and only then because the se came out.

With a higher end dac and amp, they're not even close, but that being said I'm very very impressed with my 598 SE's in my portable rig

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #5,397 of 7,535
Hey Guys I just picked up the 598s  for $140 Canadian...which I thought was a pretty good deal. Prior to these im used to closed type headphones currently owning IEMS from the likes of Audiofly or MEE. I have a pair of hyper x cloud 2's (takstar pro80), which I think sound excellent...better than both my IEM's. IM currently waiting for the HM5 pads for the clouds since I heard these open up the soundstage a bit and are more comfortable. I will be using these on a flight I have coming up in January.

When I first put on the 598's, having never tried an open pair of headphones I was very disappointed since they seemed to block very little if any sound from the outside. I figured how can these possibly sound good, they will likely have no bass. It was like wearing two open doughnuts on my ears...but when I plugged them in with my Fiio q1 amp...WOW these things sound amazing. The sound was much better than the virtual surround on my could 2's with the USB dac they provide. The sound was very 3D sounding, the best way to describe it is having a perfect recording studio with decent speakers with ports facing the rear to provide a 3d sound. These headphones provide depth to the sound, you can hear different instruments which sound like they are coming from all angles. Im picking up details that I don't recall hearing listening to the music any other way.  

Metal/Death metal-Sounded great, perhaps not the best for this genre but very much acceptable and the soundstage is a bonus. I have a sensitivity to very high frequencies and I get ear fatigue as some headphone's tend to mud the higher frequencies of metal to where it sounds very much like an annoying white noise. With this genre I just flipped the Bass boost on the fiio q1 and they sounded decent with metal.

Vocal Trance-These sounded amazing with vocal trance such as armin van buron. I will warn you guys right now though they will not have the head thumping base that you may be expecting, they are very balanced and warm and when listening to trance to need to boost the base somehow. on my Fiio q1 I just flip the boost switch and than they sound perfect. The amazing clarity in the vocals and depth of the higher frequencies is really amazing.

Country- Listening to brad paisley and the likes of Florida Georgia Line...these headphones were simply made for genres like this. Very smooth and mellow...a real treat for your ears!

Jazz/ Piano Jazz-These things sounded amazing with artist's like the piano guys, Keiko matsui and others similar. The sound stage and sparkle these provide with a warm sound and smooth bass is what makes these headphones great for jazz.

Pros
-Amazing sound quality and clarity
-Almost 3d like sound
-Very comfortable, almost feels like wearing nothing.
-Warm signature (subjective), I prefer warm as the colder more harsh headphones tend to be fatiguing for long sessions I find. 
-People don't scare the SH$t out of me when they walk into my home office or whenever im listening since I can hear them opening the door
-Excellent sound separation
-No distortion that I can detect.

I've thought about the sound quality and signature of these headphones and while I have a pretty killer Harmon/Karden and JBL paired speakers setup (cost around $1100 total)  these headphones just sound different. I think the only way you can achieve the great sound these things put out is by facing 3d speakers...such as the sound stage 3D series backed to the wall and directly in line with your ears. Obviosuly you cant compare a good stereo to headphones since they each have their place...but if you really want to be brought into the music these headphones will do the trick.

Cons
-Sound leaks... pretty much limiting to at home use (I knew this buying them though so that's why I have my takstars while on the go)
-Not much bass unless boosted from my amp, not sure if this is a con since im not a bass head and the Fiio's boost provided the perfect amount of bass to the music
-For use in quiet environments only since no isolation (again I knew this and that's fine)
-Although they sound good with metal they may not be the most suitable if you're looking for an in your face sound. When listening to metal the only time I want the in your face harsh metal sound is at the gym with my IEMS...so any other time im fine with a more mellow sound.

Compared to my takstars, I will be using these 598's for pretty much everything at home now unless I don't want to disturb anyone. I will be using my takstars for on the go...flights and what not. Don't get me wrong I love the sound of the takstars and they are great headphones, but when wearing the sennheisers they hardly even feel like headphones. I can compare them to watching a movie in standard or watching in 3d where it puts you right into the movie...or in this case the song you are listening too.

Dec 18, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #5,398 of 7,535

Any of you tried these?
My mind is blown.
38 bucks at gearbest.
Forget the se 598 flash sale.
Truly shocked they can be this good

What are those?  A Chinese knock-off of the Beyerdynamic DT 880?  No thanks.  I don't believe in rewarding the Chinese (or any other party) when they steal other company's proprietary information.  Now, if for some reason BD actually authorized them to make a clone, then I stand corrected.

Dec 18, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #5,400 of 7,535
What are those?  A Chinese knock-off of the Beyerdynamic DT 880?  No thanks.  I don't believe in rewarding the Chinese (or any other party) when they steal other company's proprietary information.  Now, if for some reason BD actually authorized them to make a clone, then I stand corrected.

Different philosophies my man.
I know if some fat wallet wanted to pay me shillings to make a fine product in a sweat shop for 8 cents a unit and sell em for 200 bucks while my employees sleep in a barracks of 80 bunk beds to get by I'd likely say "fire up the machines, name the model "star wars" cuz it's about to be attack of the clones".
As xiaomi said to apple, 'that's free market capitalism bitch'
Let em cry. Like jack white said, you can't be a pimp and a prostitute too

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back