Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Dec 18, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #5,402 of 7,535
Different philosophies my man.
I know if some fat wallet wanted to pay me shillings to make a fine product in a sweat shop for 8 cents a unit and sell em for 200 bucks while my employees sleep in a barracks of 80 bunk beds to get by I'd likely say "fire up the machines, name the model "star wars" cuz it's about to be attack of the clones".
As xiaomi said to apple, 'that's free market capitalism bitch'
Let em cry. Like jack white said, you can't be a pimp and a prostitute too

2 wrongs don't make a right.  Stealing proprietary information from companies is wrong.  So is underpaying employees, but if we were to boycott companies doing that, we wouldn't be able to buy much of anything.  Plus, if you ask these sweatshop factory workers, they'll tell you they're happier making peanuts than nothing at all.  Most are happy the foreign companies have come in and have given them some opportunity, which they previously had little or none.  You can also blame the foreign shop owners and country's governments for not negotiating better deals for their workers and keeping most of the money.

Dec 18, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #5,403 of 7,535
What are those?  A Chinese knock-off of the Beyerdynamic DT 880?  No thanks.  I don't believe in rewarding the Chinese (or any other party) when they steal other company's proprietary information.  Now, if for some reason BD actually authorized them to make a clone, then I stand corrected.

I totally AGREE with your view, that's how I feel about Gustard ripping off Lake People/Violectric.

Dec 18, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #5,404 of 7,535
2 wrongs don't make a right.  Stealing proprietary information from companies is wrong.  So is underpaying employees, but if we were to boycott companies doing that, we wouldn't be able to buy much of anything.  Plus, if you ask these sweatshop factory workers, they'll tell you they're happier making peanuts than nothing at all.  Most are happy the foreign companies have come in and have given them some opportunity, which they previously had little or none.  You can also blame the foreign shop owners and country's governments for not negotiating better deals for their workers and keeping most of the money.

You are correct there. Peanuts are better than nothing. Just as getting kicked in the balls is better than being castrated.
But.... as you say, all bear the blame. Just different world views I guess. Some see the drug dealer as bad some see the user as bad, some see both as evil. I just want the best drugs I can get at a decent price and with a neutral or bright sound.

Dec 18, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #5,405 of 7,535
You are correct there. Peanuts are better than nothing. Just as getting kicked in the balls is better than being castrated.
But.... as you say, all bear the blame. Just different world views I guess. Some see the drug dealer as bad some see the user as bad, some see both as evil. I just want the best drugs I can get at a decent price and with a neutral or bright sound.

It seems we don't agree on preferred sound signatures either. 
wink.gif

Dec 18, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #5,406 of 7,535
  Agreed.  Very spacious and 3 dimensional.  Just curious, did you get the ivory 598 or the black 598SE?

This was the black SE edition, I got them 2nd hand though on kijiji but they were new in package...the guy just opened it up didn't like them and put them up for sale. I would have preferred the cream with wood trim though but got a good deal. Either way not concerned about the color anyways since I will rarely take these outside the house...due to everyone and their dogs around you hearing your music, lol. Primary use is to help relax while im doing work from home, or bring to the office when working late...watch movies while girlfriend is sleeping etc. Im very happy with my purchase and cannot stop talking about how great these things are. 

Dec 18, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #5,407 of 7,535
I just purchased the Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition for use at work based on some of reviews on how comfortable these things are to wear. And a few people in this thread have mentioned that I should be fine with sound leakage. Got it for $109 + tax. I also got 10% cash back from Amazon. So in total it came out to be $105.19.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's a first real headphones. The best I had previously is the SteelSeries Siberia V2 which I got on sale for $40.

Dec 18, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #5,408 of 7,535
I just purchased the Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition for use at work based on some of reviews on how comfortable these things are to wear. And a few people in this thread have mentioned that I should be fine with sound leakage. Got it for $109 + tax. I also got 10% cash back from Amazon. So in total it came out to be $105.19. :)

It's a first real headphones. The best I had previously is the SteelSeries Siberia V2 which I got on sale for $40.

I got them during that sale too. You're in for a treat :)

Dec 18, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #5,409 of 7,535

This was the black SE edition, I got them 2nd hand though on kijiji but they were new in package...the guy just opened it up didn't like them and put them up for sale. I would have preferred the cream with wood trim though but got a good deal. Either way not concerned about the color anyways since I will rarely take these outside the house...due to everyone and their dogs around you hearing your music, lol. Primary use is to help relax while im doing work from home, or bring to the office when working late...watch movies while girlfriend is sleeping etc. Im very happy with my purchase and cannot stop talking about how great these things are. 

Hmmm.  Interesting.  Maybe my SEs are just a bad pair.  They sound noticeably brighter and thinner than my beige 598s, even when using the same cable.

Dec 18, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #5,410 of 7,535
Hmmm.  Interesting.  Maybe my SEs are just a bad pair.  They sound noticeably brighter and thinner than my beige 598s, even when using the same cable.

Younhave both pairs? I didnt think there was a difference. Btw which provided cable spunds better?...perhaps its because one is broken in and the other not so much? Im pretty new to headphones like this in general but ive heard these guys take 100-200 hours to break in

Dec 19, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #5,411 of 7,535
Younhave both pairs? I didnt think there was a difference. Btw which provided cable spunds better?...perhaps its because one is broken in and the other not so much? Im pretty new to headphones like this in general but ive heard these guys take 100-200 hours to break in

I do have both the beige 598 and the black 598SE.  I bought the beige several week ago, loved it, saw the BF deal on the 598SE with short cable, ordered it, returned beige 598 before SE arrived, listened to SE, didn't love it, thought it was burn in, it wasn't, ordered another beige 598, compared the 2 back to back.

My SE have no more than 20 hours on them, and they sound much brighter and thinner than my beige 598 with only a few hours on them.  The beige 598 sound warmer, with fuller, more pronounced bass, smoother highs, and less forward mids and vocals.  They also sound more 3 dimensional.  They almost fool me into thinking certain sounds are coming from different areas of the room.  My SEs sound more flat, less spacious.

This is not placebo or anything like that.  Without a shadow of a doubt, they sound very different to my ear.  Again, maybe my exact SE are just an "off" pair and other SEs sound like my beige.  I don't know.

As far as burn in goes, I think it makes a very small difference in the 598.   Not night and day.

As far as the cable goes, I "think" I heard a difference between the long versus short cable.  I think the long cable sounded smoother and less bright, while the short cable has a slight brightness/edginess to it.  I'd have to listen again more closely with various source material to be sure.

As far as the 2 headphones are concerned (beige/ivory versus black SE), I hear a very apparent difference in the sound.  It's not even marginal.  Most people would be able to hear it.

My SEs are inferior sonically to my beige 598 IMO.  Again, it could just be my specific SE, not all of them, that sound this way.  Plus, I prefer a warm sound signature.  Some may prefer the thinner and brighter sound of my SE.

Dec 19, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #5,412 of 7,535

I do have both the beige 598 and the black 598SE.  I bought the beige several week ago, loved it, saw the BF deal on the 598SE with short cable, ordered it, returned beige 598 before SE arrived, listened to SE, didn't love it, thought it was burn in, it wasn't, ordered another beige 598, compared the 2 back to back.

My SE have no more than 20 hours on them, and they sound much brighter and thinner than my beige 598 with only a few hours on them.  The beige 598 sound warmer, with fuller, more pronounced bass, smoother highs, and less forward mids and vocals.  They also sound more 3 dimensional.  They almost fool me into thinking certain sounds are coming from different areas of the room.  My SEs sound more flat, less spacious.

This is not placebo or anything like that.  Without a shadow of a doubt, they sound very different to my ear.  Again, maybe my exact SE are just an "off" pair and other SEs sound like my beige.  I don't know.

As far as burn in goes, I think it makes a very small difference in the 598.   Not night and day.

As far as the cable goes, I "think" I heard a difference between the long versus short cable.  I think the long cable sounded smoother and less bright, while the short cable has a slight brightness/edginess to it.  I'd have to listen again more closely with various source material to be sure.

As far as the 2 headphones are concerned (beige/ivory versus black SE), I hear a very apparent difference in the sound.  It's not even marginal.  Most people would be able to hear it.

My SEs are inferior sonically to my beige 598 IMO.  Again, it could just be my specific SE, not all of them, that sound this way.  Plus, I prefer a warm sound signature.  Some may prefer the thinner and brighter sound of my SE.

Interesting comparison. I almost ordered up a pair of the SE edition 598's as I really like my beige ones, but figured they would sound exactly the same, and didn't want to buy the same headphone again just to compare.

Thanks for the info!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2015 at 1:18 AM Post #5,413 of 7,535

Yes that is strange, unfortunately i have nothing else to compare to. I will say though that i do have the feeling that sounds are coming from somewhere outside the recording...especially from some recordings from Benise. I've Heard Sennheiser has great warranty perhaps you should return them...i kind of screwed myself over on that since i don't have original receipt.

Question...Do you think the Fiio Q1 is a decent combo with these headphones? I think it sounds great compared to using nothing...but again i have nothing to compare to besides my cell phone and computer's onboard (Gigabyte Z170, Skylake setup) . Compared to the Cell phone these sound much better, and compared to my Computer they sound slightly better i think but hard to tell... Could be my imagination but the Fiio q1 seems to have better instrument separation and a slightly wider sound stage.

Edit....Just tried these out of my harmon kardon AVR1710 and they sound terrible, dont know whats going on there but clearly something wrong with the settings in the receiver since it sounds amazing through my speakers and sub. 

Dec 19, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #5,414 of 7,535
No thanks. Zero pride in craftsmanship there, and it will show in the product...

Takstar is actually pretty well known and makes some seriously good headphones for their price. Particularly the one in the pic here and their Pro 80. They have their own thread here on head-fi.

Dec 19, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #5,415 of 7,535

Man you should request a replacement for those SEs. They should sound exactly the same, yours are probably a bad pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back