Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Dec 19, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #5,416 of 7,535
Different philosophies my man.
I know if some fat wallet wanted to pay me shillings to make a fine product in a sweat shop for 8 cents a unit and sell em for 200 bucks while my employees sleep in a barracks of 80 bunk beds to get by I'd likely say "fire up the machines, name the model "star wars" cuz it's about to be attack of the clones".
As xiaomi said to apple, 'that's free market capitalism bitch'
Let em cry. Like jack white said, you can't be a pimp and a prostitute too

Takstar is actually pretty well known and makes some seriously good headphones for their price. Particularly the one in the pic here and their Pro 80. They have their own thread here on head-fi.

My comment was in response to the first post

Dec 19, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #5,417 of 7,535
By the way, Ive been burning my pair in using the long cables and now the long wires sound ever so slightly better than the short ones. Were talking very subtle differences here but I am starting to run a burn in track using the short wire to see if it becomes the same exact sound as the long wires as well.

Dec 19, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #5,418 of 7,535
  By the way, Ive been burning my pair in using the long cables and now the long wires sound ever so slightly better than the short ones. Were talking very subtle differences here but I am starting to run a burn in track using the short wire to see if it becomes the same exact sound as the long wires as well.

Wait, you're burning in the cable?

Dec 19, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #5,419 of 7,535
Don't wanna get anyone's undies in a bunch but.. I can tell everyone for a fact that these cables sound identical. It's physically impossible for the same exact wire at a negligible difference in length to cause a sonic difference (simple physics, guys).

Also, LazyListener I think you're confusing the looks of the Takstar Hi2050 looking like the DT line up with "proprietary information". Copying the looks of other well performing items is a pretty popular trend everywhere. This doesn't mean they ripped open a DT880 and reverse engineered the Hi2050, no need to be so hostile toward their genius (imo) marketing.

Anyway, back on topic. I modded my HD598SE by removing the lock and using a 2.5-3.5mm adaptor to accept my V-moda BoomPro's and after an hour of fiddling, sanding, blood, sweat and tears I have an unbelievable gaming headset. If you're interested in doing this, be wary that the silver trim on the 2.5mm port actually can dislodge quite easily.

Dec 19, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #5,421 of 7,535
I too have listened from both of my cables now and I can confirm there's no change in sound.. In a blind abx test I can say no one will be able to tell any difference. It's kinda the same with lossy Vs lossless..

Thinking of buying a headphone stand.

Dec 19, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #5,424 of 7,535
Why would these sound terrible plugged into my harmon kardon avr1710...it has far too much bass to the point of slight distortion and there are no highs.

Most likely because the headphone amp in your HK was an "add on" (or afterthought) to simply add another feature to to the AVR. It's pretty common among AVR manufactures to keep adding features, with poor implementations,  simply to add another line to the marketing sheet.

Having said that, I have always thought of HK as being one of teh better brands, so this is a bit surprising, in a way.

Dec 19, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #5,425 of 7,535
Actually I have heard that cables do have a property.. I will not call it a burn in. Out of the box cable or a cable which has not been used for a long time will have their insulation material disorganised which causes minute different time delays to different frequencies causing distortion. However the cables which are in constant use will have a partial electrostatically aligned material which will reduce distortion. But I believe this is of a very minute scale. But many claims that used cables sound better..

Dec 19, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #5,426 of 7,535
Just tried both cables and i dont notice any difference. Why would these sound terrible plugged into my harmon kardon avr1710...it has far too much bass to the point of slight distortion and there are no highs.

As someone else said, it's probably the fact that they're using a low quality opamp OR there's just too much power going out to your phones which could also cause this.

Dec 19, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #5,427 of 7,535

Interesting idea.  Do let us know how that turns out.

Dec 19, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #5,428 of 7,535
Wouldn't a cable of different length and/or thickness potentially introduce a different load (impedance) to the amp and affect the sound quality?  I believe the cable is part of the system, an extension of the headphones, and how much wire is there and its quality, could have an affect on sound quality.  I'm no expert, but intuitively, it just makes sense to me.

Personally, I think I heard slight differences between the short and long cables.  Long cable sounding a bit smoother and sound had more depth.  Short cable sounding thinner and edgier with less depth to the sound.  Again, slight differences, but noticeable, and I can understand some not noticing it as the differences aren't that great.  Not like the difference in sound between my beige and black, which are easily noticeable.

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #5,429 of 7,535
  Most likely because the headphone amp in your HK was an "add on" (or afterthought) to simply add another feature to to the AVR. It's pretty common among AVR manufactures to keep adding features, with poor implementations,  simply to add another line to the marketing sheet.

Having said that, I have always thought of HK as being one of teh better brands, so this is a bit surprising, in a way.

Well the AVR Sounds amazing any other time with speakers and this is the first time I've tried the headphone out...perhaps something is not setup properly. Either way it seems when I really turn up the bass on these headphones with a bass heavy song I get a very weird sound...almost distortion but more of a smooth reverb or breakup of the vocal's would be a better description of the noise...is this normal? This happens with my Q1 amp or my computer aswell with volume up and bass all the way up. It almost seems like the harmon kardon is overpowering the headphones with bass at a lower volume, much the same when I turn the bass up and turn the volume up all the way on other sources. At any rate it only sounds like this when I turn up the headphones to the point of hearing damage if I listened to this more than 30 seconds at that volume either with my Q1 amp or my computer. With the Harmon Kardon its putting much more bass at half volume causing a breakup of vocals and other instruments.  

My Only thought is that the AVR has an EQ somewhere that has the bass all the way up and it just sounds bad through the headphones...and when I turn up the bass all the way on other sources it's pushing the drivers to the limits and they are bumping into the grilles or mesh on the outside of the driver. Not trying to get that much bass out of these just trying to replicate the noise of the HK from other sources to rule out that the HK does not have a bad headphone port.  

On a side note...What are your opinions on the Q1 compared to the A3? I've thought about returning it to get an a3 since it has more power but I would also lose the USB DAC which is handy for my computer....I've also hear the Q1 sounds slightly better than the a3?   

Dec 19, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #5,430 of 7,535
As someone else said, it's probably the fact that they're using a low quality opamp OR there's just too much power going out to your phones which could also cause this.

I find it interesting that you can overpower headphones...since car audio and other electronics and power tools they only draw what they need. In my experience with car audio what causes amp and sub clipping is underpowering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back