Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #3,856 of 7,535
IMO, HD598 is just less refined version of HD600 and maybe touch more "fun" sounding. If they pair well with HD600, and HD650, I don't see why it don't pair well with HD598.

Hope it helps
Billson :)

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #3,858 of 7,535
Thanks guys for Your replies, I'm waiting for the delivery right now.

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #3,860 of 7,535
Hi, new to the forum here, first let me tell you my impression about this headphones... they are a bit blurry kind like , and in rap songs with lots of bass there losing their tone of bass in ulter voice, but in general there are fantastic and nice if you want to relax at night to listen music also fantastic with movies especially with games like killzone on ps4 and excellent on high bitrate with punch bass for electronic music like progressive or house !!! I use them with my sony Receiver and my laptop. i read some reviews that the bass is weak which i dont find it weak but strong enough for normal listening to also a bit higher volume. i think at least for me the work fantastic for their value and for a new audiofile set of headphone, not perfect but verry good enough.  i used them the hole day yesterday from the purchase and i think i burn them maybe also with get better even later in 1 or 2 months.

i have one question though, i need to find also a good adaptor for the 6.3 jack to 3.5 with cable about 15cm please if someone know a link post it.

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #3,861 of 7,535
i have one question though, i need to find also a good adaptor for the 6.3 jack to 3.5 with cable about 15cm please if someone know a link post it.

Two choices I know of...

Sennheiser 4.5 ft (yeah I know that's more like 10x longer than you want):  http://en-us.sennheiser.com/hd-5x8-short-cable

Grado Adapter Cable (short like you want):  http://gradolabs.com/headphones/accessories

If you want a 4.5 ft cable with iPhone remote that has metal rather than plastic jacks (my plastic jack one stopped making firm connection inside the Sennheiser headphone), go here...  http://www.head-fi.org/t/645819/sennheiser-5x8shortcable-with-3-5mm-plug-now-available-for-hd-5x8-owners/30#post_10758909

Aug 19, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #3,865 of 7,535
  Any recommendation to an amp to the HD 598 to use with my MacBook Pro?

Kind regards

Quote:

I'm currently using CD Player plus Magni and it sounds very good.  Tomorrow night I'll be able to try MBP + Modi + Magni.

My 558's sounded beautiful out of the Magni/modi combo, they are a great pair. More than enough power and really enhances the sound of the headphones. Great for gaming too, way better than the a40 mixamp I have currently collecting dust. I have a pair of 598's coming shortly, looking forward to see how much different they're going to sound, if any. 

*edit* Just got them in the mail. Listening to them for the first time right now. First of all, WAY more comfortable, that pad on the top really feels like it's not even there, the cans already were perfect in comfort, I could wear these all day and night.
For sound, they for sure have the same sound type as the 558, but a more full soundstage which I didn't even think was possible. And it has an overall more cleanliness to it. The more I am listening to it, it just has a cleaner sound with the treble, and the bass is not so muddled, more laid back and way cleaner. I'm sure the bass will change after a few hours of break in (same with the 558). So far super impressed. Well worth the $40 more to upgrade. 

*edit 2* These are only getting better with use. Bass is on the same level as 558 just tighter and clearer, same with the highs, just a tad clearer. Also more open sounding. Those are about the only main differences I can tell. I feel like they can take a little bit more from the amp in comparison to the 558. They just sound so rich and full. Very happy with the upgrade.

Aug 21, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #3,866 of 7,535
I use Audinst HUD-MX2 and it sound Amazing :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audinst-HUD-mx2-Hi-Fi-USB-Audio-DAC-/181089835201?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item2a29cb98c1

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #3,867 of 7,535
Well bad news, a buzzing has developed in the right ear on my HD 598's. I contacted to get a refund, I don't know if I should try again with the 598s or go for the higher up models.

I noticed it while listening to this song, the bassline has a buzzing in the right ear which I dont hear on other headphones. I don't think it is the recording- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I_005cc4vk

I'd be curious to see if anyone else has this issue.

*edit* After doing the old Nintendo trick (blowing on the drivers), I think it fixed it. It isn't there anymore, so I'm going to hope it was hair or dust on the driver.

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #3,869 of 7,535
It could be a loose screw

Its definately gone now. Even turned up the volume to make sure. I'm going to hope its the driver breaking in or perhaps dust or something. I'll tighten every screw if it happens again. 

For the record though, these headphones are still blowing me away. Incredible sound.

Aug 22, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #3,870 of 7,535
The drivers need time to settle in and that's why it may rattle. I believe that's normal as mine did the same thing for the first 150 hours or so and then stopped.

Hope that helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back