Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Feb 7, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #3,361 of 7,535

Thanks for the info!  See, if I knew this before purchasing the used C320......I should have spent more on something newer because now I have to buy a headphone amp.....which means the cost savings I got from buying an older model is now irrelevant.  :frowning2:

The term "cost savings" in ALL of Audiophile related purchases are irrelevant. =P

Feb 8, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #3,362 of 7,535

Hah, that is perfectly fine. 
biggrin.gif
 I am still confused, however regarding the Dragonfly. As an amp, how does it work? I've looked around in threads and reviews and there's little mention of it except in the name. If the main effect of it is a DAC, I am baffled. After all, amps are usually more important even for such an easy-driven can like this. Yet still, I am primarily using my laptop's soundcard for music (Windows) so the question still remains if I should get the Dragonfly, regardless whether or not it has an amp. And if this is all placebo- ah well, there's always that chance. 

Bump.

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #3,363 of 7,535
Hah, that is perfectly fine. :D  I am still confused, however regarding the Dragonfly. As an amp, how does it work? (1)

After all, amps are usually more important even for such an easy-driven can like this. (2)

Yet still, I am primarily using my laptop's soundcard for music (Windows) (3)

so the question still remains if I should get the Dragonfly, regardless whether or not it has an amp. (4)

(1) According the the website, the Dragonfly has an analog volume control on it so you can plug your headphones directly into it.

(2) i wouldnt say that.

(3) The Dragonfly is probably a nice upgrade from your laptop soundcard.

(4) All DAC's have amps built in. Remember, it's a digital to analog converter - it must have an amp to generate a line level analog output.

Feb 8, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #3,364 of 7,535
On the subject of laptops and the HD 598, Ive gotta say my iPhone sounds damn good streaming Spotify with my 558's plugged in. Short of my home rig with HD 800's and dedicated headamp/DAC, the iPhone/HD5XX combo honestly gets me to 85-90% of my home setup, and I can take it anywhere. I dont think it makes sense to be tied down to a laptop - If I were you, I would put all of my files in 320kbps MP3 format and load them into a DAP and be done with it.

Its probably the biggest reason why I love the 558/598 so much - it is just a really fine sounding headphone and it sounds good plugged into practically anything. I would not waste my money on dedicated amps or fancy DACs with the 558/598.

Feb 8, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #3,365 of 7,535
I know that these do not have that much bass, but will the bass that is there be extremely accurate? I don't need my Skrillex or Knife Party to make me lose my hearing and I don't care for "Club Sound" but if the music is represented well I would be interested.

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #3,366 of 7,535
I know that these do not have that much bass, but will the bass that is there be extremely accurate? I don't need my Skrillex or Knife Party to make me lose my hearing and I don't care for "Club Sound" but if the music is represented well I would be interested.
I don't listen to masses of bass reliant/heavy music, but I've never yet wanted for any more bass with these headphones. It's not a massive booming bass, but it's present enough and very vivid when the recording is. It's also accurate and detailed. There's not much sub bass impact, but again, the notes are there and can be heard.

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #3,367 of 7,535
I don't listen to masses of bass reliant/heavy music, but I've never yet wanted for any more bass with these headphones. It's not a massive booming bass, but it's present enough and very vivid when the recording is. It's also accurate and detailed. There's not much sub bass impact, but again, the notes are there and can be heard.

Thank you! That was what I wanted to know. :)

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #3,368 of 7,535
Thank you! That was what I wanted to know. :)

+1
I listen to EDM and find the 598 satisfying. Although, my "go to" for EDM are Superlux Evo and Momentum.

Feb 8, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #3,369 of 7,535
I just love the whole package with the 598s. I've got headphones that are technically better and more highly reviewed, but given the comfort, aesthetic, the liquid midrange, alluring smoothness and GREAT soundstage of these cans, they are ALWAYS a pleasure to wear and enjoy, even for hours at a time.

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #3,370 of 7,535

Hah, that is perfectly fine. 
biggrin.gif
 I am still confused, however regarding the Dragonfly. As an amp, how does it work? I've looked around in threads and reviews and there's little mention of it except in the name. If the main effect of it is a DAC, I am baffled. After all, amps are usually more important even for such an easy-driven can like this. Yet still, I am primarily using my laptop's soundcard for music (Windows) so the question still remains if I should get the Dragonfly, regardless whether or not it has an amp. And if this is all placebo- ah well, there's always that chance. 

Bump.

It definitely has an amp. It seems to be a very good amp.  Check out the review in Stereophile, which I linked to in a previous post.

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #3,371 of 7,535

It definitely has an amp. It seems to be a very good amp.  Check out the review in Stereophile, which I linked to in a previous post.

On the subject of laptops and the HD 598, Ive gotta say my iPhone sounds damn good streaming Spotify with my 558's plugged in. Short of my home rig with HD 800's and dedicated headamp/DAC, the iPhone/HD5XX combo honestly gets me to 85-90% of my home setup, and I can take it anywhere. I dont think it makes sense to be tied down to a laptop - If I were you, I would put all of my files in 320kbps MP3 format and load them into a DAP and be done with it.

Its probably the biggest reason why I love the 558/598 so much - it is just a really fine sounding headphone and it sounds good plugged into practically anything. I would not waste my money on dedicated amps or fancy DACs with the 558/598.

Thank you guys, this is exactly what I needed right here. 
biggrin.gif
 Besides my iPod, I am planning to get a new smartphone in the summer (contract isn't' up yet, grr...) which will definitely be an Android phone with a USB port, which is one of the reasons why I'm interested in the Dragonfly. The FiiO 17/18 will definitely be bulkier and though the FiiO E18 has lots of handy-dandy features like phone charging, I'm far more interested in portability. The only reasons why I'm hesitating is 1) some lack of bass, and a great amp to help boost it a bit and 2) whether or not the Dragonfly will sound good as the O2 and FiiO's as I can't try them out.

Feb 8, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #3,372 of 7,535
The "lack of bass" you mention is pirely subjective and simply the nature of the 598. A larger/more powerful amp is not the solution. The solution is EQ or a different headphone. If lack of bass is a concern, I would highly recommend you consider the 518 or 558 instead.

Feb 8, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #3,373 of 7,535
That is true-however I was just wondering if a different amp would have a bassier sound signature, such as the FiiO's which I've heard are slightly bassy. The HD 598's themselves have a wonderful sound signature, truly liquid-like mids, wonderful smooth treble and an amazing soundstage for the price- the only reason I've with it is the slight lack of bass, in some songs, particularly the sub-bass.

The bass is always presented well but in bassy songs the beat never seems to extend with enough punch- with burn-in (or my brain getting used to it, I honestly don't care) the bass is definitely tighter and more defined but I feel there is still something lacking at times. The 518 and 558 are well enough but they can't seem to replicate the musicality of the 598's and the bass for me tends to not have enough control, a tad sloppy if you will. 

Feb 8, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #3,374 of 7,535
  That is true-however I was just wondering if a different amp would have a bassier sound signature, such as the FiiO's which I've heard are slightly bassy. The HD 598's themselves have a wonderful sound signature, truly liquid-like mids, wonderful smooth treble and an amazing soundstage for the price- the only reason I've with it is the slight lack of bass, in some songs, particularly the sub-bass.

The bass is always presented well but in bassy songs the beat never seems to extend with enough punch- with burn-in (or my brain getting used to it, I honestly don't care) the bass is definitely tighter and more defined but I feel there is still something lacking at times. The 518 and 558 are well enough but they can't seem to replicate the musicality of the 598's and the bass for me tends to not have enough control, a tad sloppy if you will. 

Amps alone being significantly bassier is a load of exaggeration. Unless it has a bass boost switch, fawget about it. The E18 or E12 have bass boost switches which may do what you want, as palmfish said, it's subjective. Many apps have EQ built in that you might use instead. I prefer a neutral set of cans where I can push up the bass with EQ when I desire, not a bass heavy set of cans where the treble might be also rolled down a bit and EQ'ing up the bass will then change the relative treble in a bad way. You may on the other hand prefer something entirely different.
On Android PowerAmp has a great 10 band graphical EQ and Neuron MP has a great parametric EQ (but a lousy User Interface). My feeling is that other than twiddling with the bass, using EQ to fix the sound of cans only means that you bought the wrong set of cans, they aren't too good. Why do I like to EQ up the bass a bit. Because with speakers or live performances you can feel the bass with your body and with headphones you can't, that is my way of trying to compensate for the sensory differences.
Edit: Have you compared the 558's and 559's 598's side by side or just being influenced by the words circulating on the threads? Got to be careful with that.

Feb 9, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #3,375 of 7,535
  Amps alone being significantly bassier is a load of exaggeration. Unless it has a bass boost switch, fawget about it. The E18 or E12 have bass boost switches which may do what you want, as palmfish said, it's subjective. Many apps have EQ built in that you might use instead. I prefer a neutral set of cans where I can push up the bass with EQ when I desire, not a bass heavy set of cans where the treble might be also rolled down a bit and EQ'ing up the bass will then change the relative treble in a bad way. You may on the other hand prefer something entirely different.
On Android PowerAmp has a great 10 band graphical EQ and Neuron MP has a great parametric EQ (but a lousy User Interface). My feeling is that other than twiddling with the bass, using EQ to fix the sound of cans only means that you bought the wrong set of cans, they aren't too good. Why do I like to EQ up the bass a bit. Because with speakers or live performances you can feel the bass with your body and with headphones you can't, that is my way of trying to compensate for the sensory differences.
Edit: Have you compared the 558's and 559's side by side or just being influenced by the words circulating on the threads? Got to be careful with that.

That is true, EQ is definitely a viable option as the HD 598's I've found are very respondent to amping, especially when compared to other headphones. However, to a certain extent that has a limit- that is a clear sign that I've probably chosen the wrong phone, but honestly that's the only thing I have a problem with the HD 598's.

I've listened to all the phones in this price range at some point, I didn't especially like the Beyers, the AKG just too analytic and difficult to amp, etc, etc... I have tried the HD 558's personally and though they sound good, the bass from my ears can bleed a bit and after hearing the 598's, I couldn't justify getting them for the lack of soundstage and smooth mids compared to the 598's. (559's? I assume you mean 595's, in which case I'll try to listen to later.)

Should I instead get the X1? I've heard they are very good and better than all the current HD's under the 600's. Perhaps I should get a more expensive headphone? But then again, I can't afford it at the moment. I'll probably keep the 598's though until I have the money for a more expensive 598-like phone with a bit of bass improvement and an amp for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back