Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jan 14, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #3,196 of 7,535
  Thanks for your opinion roch, so you say that both cans have the same level of Sound Quality and "FootSteeps Listening" and i should get the most attractive to me?
Right?

The 598's have a really big soundstage, but not the best sound imaging. Sound imaging is what you're after if you want to accurately pin point an enemy in a video game. In that regard, i think the PC 360 would be your best choice for gaming, plus that design is semi-opened, right? Some of the best gaming headphones i've put on were always semi-open. I've never listened to the PC 360 though, oddly enough. 

Jan 14, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #3,197 of 7,535
Hmm, I beg to differ. The HD598 are the headphones I use from my arsenal to game, every single time. I feel I can pinpoint the footsteps just perfect with these...

Jan 14, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #3,198 of 7,535
  Hmm, I beg to differ. The HD598 are the headphones I use from my arsenal to game, every single time. I feel I can pinpoint the footsteps just perfect with these...

I agree with you. I prefer my HD598 more than other headphones for gaming and can pinpoint footsteps accurately. 

Jan 14, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #3,199 of 7,535

The 598's have a really big soundstage, but not the best sound imaging. Sound imaging is what you're after if you want to accurately pin point an enemy in a video game. In that regard, i think the PC 360 would be your best choice for gaming, plus that design is semi-opened, right? Some of the best gaming headphones i've put on were always semi-open. I've never listened to the PC 360 though, oddly enough. 

I agree with you. I prefer my HD598 more than other headphones for gaming and can pinpoint footsteps accurately. 

I think it's cause mine and Josh's pairs are self modded while the HD598 is stock.

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #3,200 of 7,535
  I think it's cause mine and Josh's pairs are self modded while the HD598 is stock.

True, i forgot to mention, i have the HD 558's modded. Not the 598's.. i can't see the differences being night and day though when we're talking about sound imaging.. they can't be that far apart?

Now don't get me wrong, the modded 558's have pretty good sound imaging, i can kinda sorta pin point, but i've heard better through a $60 pair of turtle beach's. The 558 owns everything else though, the turtle beach's are possibly the worst headphones you could ever put on for music listening. Perhaps it's the angled drivers that throw me off? 

I forgot to mention, i'm also on the xbox.. PC players probably have a much better sound setup.. hence maybe they really are good for gaming. I don't tend to think so though.. i like a little more lower frequency when i'm gaming.. that's personal preference though.

Jan 14, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #3,201 of 7,535
True, i forgot to mention, i have the HD 558's modded. Not the 598's.. i can't see the differences being night and day though when we're talking about sound imaging.. they can't be that far apart?

Now don't get me wrong, the modded 558's have pretty good sound imaging, i can kinda sorta pin point, but i've heard better through a $60 pair of turtle beach's. The 558 owns everything else though, the turtle beach's are possibly the worst headphones you could ever put on for music listening. Perhaps it's the angled drivers that throw me off? 

I forgot to mention, i'm also on the xbox.. PC players probably have a much better sound setup.. hence maybe they really are good for gaming. I don't tend to think so though.. i like a little more lower frequency when i'm gaming.. that's personal preference though.

To be honest i have great difficuilty pin pointing the location of enemies in games with the modded hd558. The sound tends to swing wildly between the 2 channels, making the sound seem to come more sideways than the suggested direction. I have yet to try the hd598 with games so i cant compare for sure.

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #3,202 of 7,535
I don't really know how to phrase this question, but I'l do my best. How do headphones produce sounds that sound up (above the head) and down (below the head) and all the spaces in between? I know how they make sounds appear left and right, but I swear I hear some sounds above and below others.

Jan 14, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #3,203 of 7,535
  I don't really know how to phrase this question, but I'l do my best. How do headphones produce sounds that sound up (above the head) and down (below the head) and all the spaces in between? I know how they make sounds appear left and right, but I swear I hear some sounds above and below others.

I have noticed this too.  From what I can remember it always seems like the higher pitches are higher and the lower pitches are lower.  I've suspected that this is somewhat psychological. But I could be wrong.

Jan 15, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #3,204 of 7,535
Out of curiosity, can anyone compare the 598s with Mad Dogs? I'm looking to get myself so (maybe) comparable closed cans.

Jan 16, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #3,206 of 7,535
I guess I worded my question poorly. Let's try again.

Hello fellow 598 owners. I've bee looking into MrSpeakers Mad Dogs I was wondering if any of you have had a chance to hear them.

If so, how does there sound compare to the 598s? Just looking to get a comparison to a headphone I own and know well enough to make a reasonable judgment.

Thanks!

:)

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:46 PM Post #3,210 of 7,535
I'm not sure why, but I too find that the lowest gain setting (VOIP mode) in Headphone is quieter than 2 speaker. The volume seems about equal when set to medium gain, but I find the HD598 to sound clearer with better imaging in Headphone.

Still, it is strange that the lowest gain (which should be 0dB) is quieter than 2 speaker, which bypasses the amplifier. Interesting observation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back