Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Dec 26, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #3,151 of 7,535
Oh, OK - simulated surround sound...that makes sense.

Cool feature :D

And yes, there's no reason why you couldnt use an adapter to plug the headphone output into the Vali, but a better option would be to use the 2-channel analog output on the rear of the player.

Dec 26, 2013 at 12:54 PM Post #3,152 of 7,535
it is built into the blu ray player itself S1000ES

"7.1channel virtual headphone output

7.1channel virtual headphone output provides the ultimate personal entertainment experience, allowing you to enjoy your favorite Blu-ray Disc movie, DVD or CD through standard headphones with amazing 7.1 channel virtual surround sound.

[COLOR=373737]Dolby Digital Plus[/COLOR][COLOR=373737]
[/COLOR][COLOR=373737]Dolby TrueHD[/COLOR][COLOR=373737]
[/COLOR][COLOR=373737]DTS-HD High Resolution Audio[/COLOR][COLOR=373737]
[/COLOR][COLOR=373737]DTS-HD Master Audio"[/COLOR]
[/quote
[COLOR=FF00AA][COLOR=FF00AA]
"3.5mm headphone to rca y-splitter adapter " ???
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
whats up with this? sounds like the root of your problem maybe

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #3,153 of 7,535
Sorry, I see ... bluray to amp...

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #3,154 of 7,535
what genres are best with hd 598? i listen to a lot of folk, indie, alternative (fleet foxes, arcade fire, the national, sigur ros, arctic monkeys) do you think they will shine with this headphones? i'm looking for a natural, envolving, non fatiding sound!

Dec 29, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #3,155 of 7,535
what genres are best with hd 598? i listen to a lot of folk, indie, alternative (fleet foxes, arcade fire, the national, sigur ros, arctic monkeys) do you think they will shine with this headphones? i'm looking for a natural, envolving, non fatiding sound!

The HD598 have a warm and forward mids. May be slow at picking up details but it sound excellent with classical, Jazz and it does female vocals surprisingly good IMO

Dec 29, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #3,156 of 7,535
"what genres are best with hd 598? i listen to a lot of folk, indie, alternative (fleet foxes, arcade fire, the national, sigur ros, arctic monkeys) do you think they will shine with this headphones? i'm looking for a natural, envolving, non fatiding sound!"

I find they work great with that type of stuff. Acoustic instruments really shine. Electric instruments too unless they're aggressively distorted. Fast and heavy, Slipknot, Pantera, Avenged Sevenfold... I reach for my Momentums for that stuff. For most of my vinyl, classical, jazz, classic rock and modern pop I put on the HD598. I listen to my 598s a lot! For metal and EDM I go for a closed can for more visceral impact.

Dec 29, 2013 at 3:35 PM Post #3,157 of 7,535

I've recently gotten mine, but my initial impressions are it does classical (and in general instrumental) music very well. Vocals sound great, and the little bit of metal I've tried them with was handled quite well.

In general they seem to be fairly neutral, but still a bit mid/vocal centric (which I like).  I don't find them fatiguing, but they are probably not as laid back as other Senns (just making an assumption from what I hear in these, and what I've read about others).

They seem like great all rounders, so I'm sure they will handle those genres just fine unless there is a particular sound you are looking for.

Dec 31, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #3,159 of 7,535
I recently got the Aune T1 DAC/amp with the upgraded 6922 tube and I love how it pairs with the HD598. I was just using a Xonar DG, which sounds fine, but the T1 is a noticeable imrpovement in sound quality. I'd compare it to looking through a dirty window, you can still see through it and it doesnt really bother you until you see it cleaned. Then you can never go back. Maybe the DG stands for Dirty Glass. The Aune T1 is the Windex.

Jan 1, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #3,160 of 7,535
I recently got the Aune T1 DAC/amp with the upgraded 6922 tube and I love how it pairs with the HD598. I was just using a Xonar DG, which sounds fine, but the T1 is a noticeable imrpovement in sound quality. I'd compare it to looking through a dirty window, you can still see through it and it doesnt really bother you until you see it cleaned. Then you can never go back. Maybe the DG stands for Dirty Glass. The Aune T1 is the Windex.

I use the Aune with my HD558 (same driver as the 598) this little DAC/amp is outstanding with these headphones. Take a look at http://www.head-fi.org/t/633006/aune-t1-usb-tube-dac-amp-discussion-thread-see-first-post-for-FAQ for more about this unit and tube rolling recommendations.

Have fun!

Jan 3, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #3,161 of 7,535
Its crazy how with the Aune T1 and the HD598 even 320kpbs song files sound muffled.

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #3,164 of 7,535
Not for nothing, but there are only a handful of songs i can tell the difference between 320kbs and lossless... IMHO. great cans either way 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #3,165 of 7,535
lately I hear many people saying that adding a cheap amp and a not bad DAC brings lost of warmth, depth, bass to these headphones.

any suggestions? is this true?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back