Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #7,381 of 7,535
One of my favorite albums of all time. I bought it on CD in the 90s and now I listen to it as a FLAC rip. I agree that it sounded really good on 598. It sounds good on everything, for that matter.

I have the version that ends with "Jamming," not the 2002 remaster with the bonus track. Does the remaster sound better? I have found that more often than not, I prefer the original CD transfers from the early days of Compact Disc to the remasters released in this millenium, when the loudness wars really began squashing dynamic range with reckless abandon.

Of course, there are always exceptions. If you like the Beatles one iota, check out the new Sgt. Peppers released last year. The engineers went above and beyond the call of duty, not just re-digitizing the old tape master, but actually re-mixing from scratch using the individual original tracking tapes for each instrument, and then mastering tastefully. It sounds sublime.
I have the CD of Legend from the 90s as well. Never listened to it on headphones, so not sure if the 2002 Remaster, which I listened to on Spotify, sounds better or worse. I hear you on the loudness (dynamic range compression) wars of the 90s and early 2000s. Glad those days are pretty much over.

Not a huge Beatles fan, but I do listen to "1" compilation from time to time. I'll have to check out the remastered Sgt. Pepper. Thanks for the suggestion. Not sure if the Remastered version on Spotify is from last year (shows original release year)??

Mar 24, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #7,383 of 7,535
This is the one >>

If you want to be sure you have the 2017 Deluxe Remix/master, listen to Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.
You can recognize the difference in the intro:
In the original, the electro-harpsicord is panned left.
In the 2017 mix, it skips across the soundstage from left to right with each note :)

Mar 27, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #7,384 of 7,535
Has anyone here compared the 598CS to the 770 Pro? I was considering these two and ended up getting the 770's (32 ohm) to replace my M50's. I needed something more comfortable. I do really like them, the detail and range is outstanding, and I like how they cover the spectrum. Love the depth of the bass, and they feel great. The velours feel luxurious on my face. They accentuate everything, which is good and bad. My one negative, is that bright sounding music sounds real bright to me...not fatiguing, but definitely...present, and overshadows the rest of the spectrum on some tracks. I think the M50's of making just about everything sound warm though so probably something I just need to get used to. But I like their detail. I'm not sure if I'm listening too loud, or they're clamping a bit too much, or if it is actually the treble, but I feel I'm getting small headaches after long sessions (3 - 6 hours at work, with only small breaks). Haven't had many long sessions with them yet though. Coming off the M50's, I noticed these are bright headphones. I'm hoping I just get used to their signature. I'm wondering if I would like the 598cs better, though maybe not as I'm hearing these have a harshness problem as well, but in the mids. While I like my 770's I'm still a bit curious about the 598cs, as they were my second option...

For more money, I'm also curious about the Momentum 2 (cups look small), B&O H6 (neutral, bass lacking), MDR-1A (cheaper international version might not have warranty, muddy bass?)

Notice, these are closed and portable. I guess my one other gripe is that I could've chosen something more portable than the 770's. The cable is shorter on the 32ohm but still a bit long, and they're a bit bulky looking...

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #7,386 of 7,535
^^^^ Didn't we have this conversation here recently?
Yes, apologies, I’ve asked this on another thread before. I just wanted to ask once more to see if I could gather any more additional opinions.

Your earlier opinion was definitely value and it made me stop considering the 598cs but whenever I do a google search on this my curiosity picks up again...

EDIT: Now after more research, I’m more curious about the Monentum, Sony and B&O...looks like should skip the 598cs.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 5:36 AM Post #7,389 of 7,535
Hi!

For 31€ / 38usd less should I go with the 598sr or pay more and go with the 599? I will only use them for music. IDM / Indie / Ambient / Rock / Post-rock
I would go for the best in range - 599. 31 EUR is not that much, invest here and save somewhere else :)

Apr 5, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #7,390 of 7,535
Hi!

For 31€ / 38usd less should I go with the 598sr or pay more and go with the 599? I will only use them for music. IDM / Indie / Ambient / Rock / Post-rock
I would go for the 599's, too. If you went with the 598's, it will always nag and niggle in the back of your mind, whether you should have gone with the 599's. For the extra 31 euros , you will know you got the top of the line, in the 500 series.

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #7,391 of 7,535
I would go for the 599's, too. If you went with the 598's, it will always nag and niggle in the back of your mind, whether you should have gone with the 599's. For the extra 31 euros , you will know you got the top of the line, in the 500 series.
That's true only if the 599s are considered to be better than the 598s by consensus. I have not seen a consensus either way, one better than the other. He could end up getting the 599s and then having the same nagging feeling that the 598s may be better. Best is to try both for yourself if possible and return or resell one.

Apr 5, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #7,392 of 7,535
That's true only if the 599s are considered to be better than the 598s by consensus. I have not seen a consensus either way, one better than the other. He could end up getting the 599s and then having the same nagging feeling that the 598s may be better. Best is to try both for yourself if possible and return or resell one.
I've only read positive impressions about HD 599 vs 598. Deeper bass, more even upper mids. I only heard them briefly and didn't A/B with the 598. But you're right the best thing would be test both for one week or more. Happened to me with the 518. After testing it briefly at the store I liked it, and then after buying it an spending more time listening and compared with the 598... the 518 is now up for sale. And I plan to replace it with a 599 :) Maybe Sennheiser will surprise us this year with a black 599 SE for some 100 $/Eur.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #7,393 of 7,535
To be honest, I have never heard the 599. If I didn't own the 598 and I bought the 599, and I liked them; I would prabably be content, without hearing the 598.
On the other hand, If I weren't sure about how much I liked the 599, I would probably have nagging doubts, that maybe, I would have liked the 598 better.
So I definitely agree; It would be best to try both if possible.

Apr 6, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #7,394 of 7,535
I've only read positive impressions about HD 599 vs 598. Deeper bass, more even upper mids. I only heard them briefly and didn't A/B with the 598. But you're right the best thing would be test both for one week or more. Happened to me with the 518. After testing it briefly at the store I liked it, and then after buying it an spending more time listening and compared with the 598... the 518 is now up for sale. And I plan to replace it with a 599 :) Maybe Sennheiser will surprise us this year with a black 599 SE for some 100 $/Eur.
It can happen, that at first, a headphone is appealing, then after more time spent with that headphone; it can becomes less appealing.
The opposite can happen too. A headphone that doesn't stand out, at first, can become more appealing, the more time spent listening to it.

If you do get the 599, I'd be curious to know, how you would compare it with the 598.

Apr 7, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #7,395 of 7,535
if anyone have problems with the stock padding on the headband starting to tear up i found great solution for like 10 bucks, its even more comfortable than stock padding
here is the link - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ori...7cf5932&transAbTest=ae803_5&priceBeautifyAB=0

IMG_20180407_125754.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back