Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
May 12, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #166 of 7,535
Depends where you live. I have warranty but replacing them will cost me the shipping to them and back. Some good $20 or $30.
rolleyes.gif

May 13, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #169 of 7,535
I absolutely love my HD598's! Best headphones I have ever had the privilege to wear and own. I got them at the same time I got a little dot MK3 amp, and all I can say is that the soundstage is amazing. I bought and listened to Open Your Ears from HDTracks and it blew my mind at how well these perform.
I will be doing a more thorough review after I have put more hours in on them.

May 14, 2011 at 5:19 AM Post #170 of 7,535
I tried these in store off of a wall-rack setup at J&R. What surprised was that despite the setting and bad source/amplification(if the sound of all the other headphones was anything to go by), they still sounded very good! Every other headphone there sounded bleh in their setup(understandably), including the HD600, but it really surprised me how well the 598 performed despite this. The soundstage seems amazing.

May 18, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #173 of 7,535
OK, so as you can tell by the very subtle handle, I've been lurking and learning on the site  for awhile now.  I'm certainly no audiophile but I dearly love my music - almost any music (Beethovan, Santana, Marley, Fahey, Bluegrass, Blues, etc.).   I've been on the verge of purchasing my first decent set of headphones for awhile now and I've learned a tremendous amount from your contributions, opinions, and questions.

One thing I've heard between the lines is just how subjective the impressions are - and yet still fairly consistant.  While I doubt that I'll be able to parse the sound as finely as done here, it definitely sounds like the senn 598 is the way to go.  So I picked up a pair online today and am really psyched about the buy.  Other than a big THANKS TO ALL, my gift is just any help I can give on price to anyone else out there.  I picked up my pair today (brand new) for a low $169.  I'll post the link below in case it's useful to any other hesitant buyers. 

I'll note that I wasn't sure about purchasing from Dakmart myself so I simply used their price as leverage at a seperate "price matching" e-store.  You can do that as well or just pick up the epair listed below.

[size=11pt]http://www.dakmart.com/products_new.php[/size]

Thanks again for you help!

May 18, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #174 of 7,535

Quote:
OK, so as you can tell by the very subtle handle, I've been lurking and learning on the site  for awhile now.  I'm certainly no audiophile but I dearly love my music - almost any music (Beethovan, Santana, Marley, Fahey, Bluegrass, Blues, etc.).   I've been on the verge of purchasing my first decent set of headphones for awhile now and I've learned a tremendous amount from your contributions, opinions, and questions.

One thing I've heard between the lines is just how subjective the impressions are - and yet still fairly consistant.  While I doubt that I'll be able to parse the sound as finely as done here, it definitely sounds like the senn 598 is the way to go.  So I picked up a pair online today and am really psyched about the buy.  Other than a big THANKS TO ALL, my gift is just any help I can give on price to anyone else out there.  I picked up my pair today (brand new) for a low $169.  I'll post the link below in case it's useful to any other hesitant buyers. 

I'll note that I wasn't sure about purchasing from Dakmart myself so I simply used their price as leverage at a seperate "price matching" e-store.  You can do that as well or just pick up the epair listed below.

Best of luck but there have been some negative reviews of that vendor.  Apparently they sell only B-stock and refurbs FWIR.  Hope it works out for you.

May 19, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #175 of 7,535
Yes, I'm aware of the concerns with Dakmart.  Thats why I just used their low price for leverage to purchase from another vendor.  You can find quite a few who match prices out there.

Good luck. 

Package 1
Qty
Item
Price
Subtotal
SENHD598 (Sennheiser HD598 (SENHD598))
$169.00
$169.00
Item Subtotal:
$169.00
Shipped via UPS Ground

Shipping & Handling:
$6.99

May 19, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #176 of 7,535

Quote:

Which vendor matched the price?

May 20, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #177 of 7,535
Well, I don't want to say which vendor matched the price as it could ruin their price-matching policy if everyone went to their website.  That wouldn't fair to them since they told me that the Dakmart price that they matched was below their cost.  They might have to suspend their price matching policy which would be bad for everyone. 

So, you have 3 choices that I can tell from my web surfing:
1) Buy the phones (new) from Dakmart for $169 off of their website
2) Google to find an electronics store that uses the words "price match" in their text like I did and see if they carry the sennheiser 598.  Then you can leverage yourself a pair using the Dakmart price like I did
3)  There are one or more open box pairs on the Electronics Expo site (in the clearance section) for the same price. 

Good luck!

May 21, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #178 of 7,535
I got my pair from J&R for around $170 shipped.. you have to call for that price (it's listed for much more at the site)..

May 31, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #179 of 7,535
After letting my HD598 burn in for a countless number of hours.. my opinion about them has only elevated.  The bass, which was muted and quite subdued out-of-the box, has livened up considerably and now has fantastic body, impact, and extension.  How it sounded out-of-the-box is a far cry from how it sounds now.  The treble smoothed out considerably but remains crisp, airy, detailed, and extended.  The midrange, an area of this phone that has always sounded awesome and was the main draw, has a more complete timbre since the bass response has matured.  The 598s sounded fairly lean across the spectrum when I bought them, reminding me a lot of the DBA (before I got the comply tips for them).. now they have excellent weight across the spectrum while the instrument separation is in particular quite good.  Rock guitars leaned to the brighter side initially, but after burning in, have great weight & crunch through the midrange and sound much more accurate and engaging.

These are amongst my favorite cans and rank right up there with my beloved FA-003.. 

Even unamped from my laptop, these sound astonishingly good.. I listen to them on a daily basis and haven't found myself reaching for the Arrow or MX-1 in quite some time.  The only thing that really frustrates me is having to use the 1/4"-1/8" adapter.. since these are used primarily with my iPhone & laptop, the adapter is a fixture on the cord and its size makes it cumbersome to deal with.  I'll be investing in the Grado 1/4"-1/8" extension pronto, I love the fact it's got a right angle plug too... are there any other recommendations for quality 1/4=1/8" cable adapters terminating to a right-angle plug?

May 31, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #180 of 7,535
The Grado 1/4 to 1/8" adapter is not Right Angle.  If you are looking at the under $50 range, go with the $26 Cardas HPI mini to 1/4" adapter as it is right angle and is of better quality (sound quality wise) than the Grado adapter.  The Grado uses a PVC dielectric which has more signal loss than the Teflon in the Cardas adapter.

--Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back