Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
May 8, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #151 of 7,532

Quote:
chill lounge, ambient, etc.

Is that anything like Brahms or Beethoven?
tongue_smile.gif

May 9, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #152 of 7,532
May 9, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #153 of 7,532
Quote:
Is that anything like Brahms or Beethoven?
tongue_smile.gif

The HD598 is great with orchestral, but I generally EQ the treble down further when dealing with a lot of bright instruments or when treble sensitive. Currently, it's late at night, I'm sensitive to treble, and I'm listening to Mendelssohn's string quartet no.2. I have the 5K-20K frequencies down 6 dbs. Frequencies from 1K slope down to match.

May 9, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #156 of 7,532
That really doesn't say much when you consider gear synergy, mastering quality and tired ears at the end of the day, etc.  I didn't find the 598 in need of -6db from 5-20k in most cases.

May 9, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #157 of 7,532

Quote:
That really doesn't say much when you consider gear synergy, mastering quality and tired ears at the end of the day, etc.  I didn't find the 598 in need of -6db from 5-20k in most cases.

Exactly =) It's mostly just that. I roll down the treble and upper mids at night no matter what headphones I use to the point that I don't really hear much expect bass and low mids. I really can't stand high frequencies at night.

May 10, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #158 of 7,532
Listening to Nostalgia77's "The Sleepwalking Society" (Smoky, jazz/blues) w/ the HD598 at the moment = AUDIO BLISS.

This album has tons of horns, atmospherics, and lovely string work.. boy does it all take on such a lively personality with the Senn.. this album absolutely SINGS through these phones.. hearing the keys on saxes getting pressed, the inhale/exhale of breath at the end of notes, the superb tonality.. all this in an elegant, almost nonchalant manner.. 

Hearing things like this makes you not only fall in love with these phones, but more importantly, MUSIC, all over again.

May 10, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #159 of 7,532
Some of you (probably not) have noticed that I have been looking for *the* headphone for me. I have owned AKG K501, AKG 702, Sennheiser HD555 and Sennheiser HD650 (with fancy cable and all).

Somewhere along the way, I discovered what kind of sound I liked. And it was not the sound coming from my most expensive equipment. It was from the HD555. I have been trying to *tune* the sound of my equipment by buying different and expensive amplifiers, but nay, one can only alter it slightly... it's ultimately the headphone that sets the limit.

The long story short:

After tons of reading, I sold both AKG's, HD650's, but kept the HD555's (595 mod btw). I got the HD598's instead.

I don't regret it for a second. I believe I have found my headphone :). Airy and wide soundstage, but not disconnected as AKG K701, fast layered bass, not as slow and sleepy as HD650's can be. It's just effortless sound.

May 10, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #160 of 7,532

Quote:
Some of you (probably not) have noticed that I have been looking for *the* headphone for me. I have owned AKG K501, AKG 702, Sennheiser HD555 and Sennheiser HD650 (with fancy cable and all).

Somewhere along the way, I discovered what kind of sound I liked. And it was not the sound coming from my most expensive equipment. It was from the HD555. I have been trying to *tune* the sound of my equipment by buying different and expensive amplifiers, but nay, one can only alter it slightly... it's ultimately the headphone that sets the limit.

The long story short:

After tons of reading, I sold both AKG's, HD650's, but kept the HD555's (595 mod btw). I got the HD598's instead.

I don't regret it for a second. I believe I have found my headphone :). Airy and wide soundstage, but not disconnected as AKG K701, fast layered bass, not as slow and sleepy as HD650's can be. It's just effortless sound.

glad that you find it..

May 10, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #161 of 7,532

Quote:

The long story short:

congrats... i wonder when im gonna find my perfect headphone

May 10, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #162 of 7,532

Quote:

The long story short:

Congrats. I think because of the midrange and soundstage as a general headphone for almost application, the HD598 will be perfect.

The soundstage is so speaker-like that I have to make sure I have the audio output in my computer is not going through my speakers in case I was to wake anyone up. There have been times when I left the audio coming through my speakers and didn't realize it until I started moving my head.

May 12, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #164 of 7,532
I am as well on the verge of picking up the 598, just noticed that amazon.de has dropped the price from 160 to 144€! May be its the older stock...
confused_face_2.gif
Guess I'll wait till the end of the month (seems only 4 left in stock!) for the new stock, just wish that they would keep the same pricing with the new ones as well
rolleyes.gif

May 12, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #165 of 7,532

Quote:
I am as well on the verge of picking up the 598, just noticed that amazon.de has dropped the price from 160 to 144€! May be its the older stock...
confused_face_2.gif
Guess I'll wait till the end of the month (seems only 4 left in stock!) for the new stock, just wish that they would keep the same pricing with the new ones as well
rolleyes.gif

It doesn't really matter if its the old stock or not because the warranty does cover the cracks and you have 2 years of it too so it is your choice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back