Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #1,651 of 7,535
Quote:
I use a trends audio PA10 tube amp for my computer setup and always end up using my hd598 and not D2000, hd 650 , HE 300 or AKG 701.

Great ...what type of music?

Sep 3, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #1,652 of 7,535
I am getting Lyr mainly for HE-400...can I use them for HD-598 also?

will it be overkill for HD598, please suggest.

Sep 3, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #1,654 of 7,535
Quote:
Why Lyr? I find it to be overkill power wise for anything save for very few headphones. For all that power you pay with fidelity.

I have heard it pairs well with HE-400, I just got it on sales forums for good price..(still not shipped) should be able to sell it without loosing much....how does it pair with 598?

Sep 4, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #1,655 of 7,535
just got my HD 598 a day ago, absolutely love it, the initial thought the headphone are slightly firmer than i thought. It's comfortable, but it's not sloppy and soft like some cheaper headphones, maybe because it's brand new. For anyone who's looking for gaming, these are absolutely great. I honestly thought these headphones wouldn't have much bass coming from all the other reviews I've heard, but from what I hear it's definitely enough bass for me, and all the sounds are crisp and clear, just love it.

Sep 4, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #1,656 of 7,535

Below is what IEMCrazy suggest for 598 with Lyr...as he posted in HE-400 thread.

Quote:
Even I placed order for Lyr + Bifrost and I know they are great pair for HE-400...

other can I have and like is Sennheiser HD598...not sure if I use them with Lyr...scary to drive 50 Ohms HP on 6watts amp....or is it safe to use HD-598 with Lyr?

Please suggest

Originally Posted by IEMCrazy

HD598 is a little sensitive, though...Lyr may be a little much for it. It's not going to break them or anything but you may find a lack of fine volume control (IE it goes from quiet to loud too quickly to really control volume where you want it) or if it's as sensitive as Denons it may pick up some tube/transformer noise....

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:21 AM Post #1,660 of 7,535
Quote:
I have seen it mentioned several times that they lack bass when not properly feed.

Must disagree, the 598s are just not a very bassy headphone. It doesn't matter whether you amp or unamp it. They run fine unamped. Unfortunately I have no experience with the EMU 0404, but assuming it's a somewhat compatible amp you may notice a slight improvement, perhaps slightly more significant if you're running off a portable device.

If you do want bass, you can always EQ and bump up the lower end. I have a setting on my Cowon J3 with exaggerated bass just for when I shuffle my music and listen out of my 598s. When I come across a song that needs a bass kick to enjoy, I push a button. There are purists on here who don't believe in EQ, but I think used correctly it's a great tool to make your music listening more pleasurable. There's no point in pursuing perfect neutrality at this price point.

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #1,661 of 7,535
Quote:
Must disagree, the 598s are just not a very bassy headphone. It doesn't matter whether you amp or unamp it. They run fine unamped. Unfortunately I have no experience with the EMU 0404, but assuming it's a somewhat compatible amp you may notice a slight improvement, perhaps slightly more significant if you're running off a portable device.

If you do want bass, you can always EQ and bump up the lower end. I have a setting on my Cowon J3 with exaggerated bass just for when I shuffle my music and listen out of my 598s. When I come across a song that needs a bass kick to enjoy, I push a button. There are purists on here who don't believe in EQ, but I think used correctly it's a great tool to make your music listening more pleasurable. There's no point in pursuing perfect neutrality at this price point.

i agree, the eq is a good way to realise your headphone's full potential by correcting some FR faults and suiting personal taste,
and about bass bump:

like this? 
biggrin.gif
 (eq curve i use now, may change at any moment)

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:27 PM Post #1,663 of 7,535
Ok thanks for the input. I've decided to pick them up and if it seems they need more juice i'll just pick up a dedicated amp. My wording wasn't really clear earlier though. What i meant was that some users reported that the bass improved with amping, not they became more bass centric.

Sep 7, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #1,664 of 7,535
Quote:
Ok thanks for the input. I've decided to pick them up and if it seems they need more juice i'll just pick up a dedicated amp. My wording wasn't really clear earlier though. What i meant was that some users reported that the bass improved with amping, not they became more bass centric.

I had the hd598s, and i honestly could not tell the difference between amped and unamped unless i tried to look for it. If you are going to get an amp, even a cheap fiio e6 will suffice. Even with amping, the hd598s really don't have that much bass. They aren't supposed to, it's just not something sennheiser emphasizes in their phones. You can eq or use a bass boost, but i never really believed in bass boost. It makes my music sound artificial and boomy. And, it takes away the emphasis on that amazing mid range, which i thought was the best part of the 598s 
tongue.gif
. However, if that really is still a priority, the e10/e11 might be worth considering.

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #1,665 of 7,535
Quote:
I had the hd598s, and i honestly could not tell the difference between amped and unamped unless i tried to look for it. If you are going to get an amp, even a cheap fiio e6 will suffice. Even with amping, the hd598s really don't have that much bass. They aren't supposed to, it's just not something sennheiser emphasizes in their phones. You can eq or use a bass boost, but i never really believed in bass boost. It makes my music sound artificial and boomy. And, it takes away the emphasis on that amazing mid range, which i thought was the best part of the 598s 
tongue.gif
. However, if that really is still a priority, the e10/e11 might be worth considering.

you could use the severe subbass boost of about +7db as the picture in my precious post said 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back