Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Aug 2, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #1,516 of 7,535
[size=medium]posted this on HE-400 thread too, I love 598[/size]

[size=medium]did try AB HE-400 with HD-598….I have 598, D2K and HE-400. Always prefer He-400 over D2K…but when it comes to vocals (especially female) 598 stands out…with its smooth presentation and speaker like sound…is way too much for HE-400 to claim back the headspace…did AB them quite a few times…every time I found HE-400 cannot reproduce speaker like sound that 598 does…for music that demands[/size] [size=10pt]large expansive soundstages… especially the live recordings….I feel there's nothing else out there that sounds like the HD-598...[/size]

Aug 2, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #1,517 of 7,535
Quote:

Before E17 .... D2K was my main can....used 598 only for classical...loved there mids but bass was too lacking...with E17 it otherway round....E17 give the ruquired bass hump .... I now agree 598 is the best can...I hit sweet spot with E17-598

Do you use the bass boost on the e17? Or do you mean with no additional boosts of any kind the bass is improved? 

Aug 2, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #1,518 of 7,535
[size=medium]I was using 598 right out of dell xps before E17….I do use +4 bass setting on E17….but even when no bass setting is done…bass is more puncher with them….[/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]I am not very good at describing sound….maybe sometime later today…I can play xps->598, xps-E17->598 to record the sound using iphone and upload them to youtube…share you the link…if it helps[/size][/size]

Aug 2, 2012 at 5:19 PM Post #1,519 of 7,535
Quote:
[size=medium]I was using 598 right out of dell xps before E17….I do use +4 bass setting on E17….but even when no bass setting is done…bass is more puncher with them….[/size]

[size=medium][size=medium]I am not very good at describing sound….maybe sometime later today…I can play xps->598, xps-E17->598 to record the sound using iphone and upload them to youtube…share you the link…if it helps[/size][/size]

Nah nah no need to go thru all that trouble. Thanks for replying bud. 

Aug 3, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #1,521 of 7,535
Quote:
Sadly, this week I sold my Senneheisers for a pair of KLIPSCH X-10 which are more suitable for my use.  But the HD598s will always have a place in my heart! :wink:

blink.gif
........X10 is also great pair...has wonderfull sound with great isolation...it is only IEM I found can be used in merto train with 25% vol on iphone4....and still enjoy the music to fullest...enjoy you will have a great time with them...

Aug 5, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #1,522 of 7,535
Hm. The headband cushion on the underside of the headband started to peel off. I could reapply it, but not straight because it stretched the leather with it.

Now, when it's on, you can see the black of the cushion's adhesive pad in spots and the headband looks terrible. I sent an email to Sennheiser - I don't think the leather was supposed to be ripped underneath, but I may be wrong. I definitely do not think it should be this loose. It wasn't before today.

Aug 6, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #1,525 of 7,535
Quote:
Not too well. It might work adequately, but it's not reccomended to use something with that high of an output impedance. Sennheiser's headphones are designed for <2 ohm amps.

Is the  "...designed for >2 ohm amps" pretty much a strict guideline to adhere to or could a >5 ohm amp like the Matrix M Stage work well with the HD598's and other Senns? 

Aug 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #1,526 of 7,535
Quote:
Is the  "...designed for >2 ohm amps" pretty much a strict guideline to adhere to or could a >5 ohm amp like the Matrix M Stage work well with the HD598's and other Senns? 

If it was right around at 5 ohm, it should be alright. But if it was say, 6 or higher, I wouldn't recommend it. Some people believe the output impedance should only be 1/8 (in some cases 1/10) the load impedance (headphone impedance). 

The lower the better. 

Aug 6, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #1,527 of 7,535
Quote:
If it was right around at 5 ohm, it should be alright. But if it was say, 6 or higher, I wouldn't recommend it. Some people believe the output impedance should only be 1/8 (in some cases 1/10) the load impedance (headphone impedance). 

The lower the better. 

You're right, 5 ohms might be cutting it close. Might be worth a try, though.

Thanks.

Aug 6, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #1,528 of 7,535
Oh, that's nice. Sennheiser's response to the headband falling off (and there not being adequate room to reapply it without the headphone looking terrible) is "buy a new one", because apparently cords and padding only have a 60 day warranty. Didn't see that anywhere in the box.

Aug 6, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #1,529 of 7,535
I still very much like this headphone as far as sound, but when it comes to looks, despite it obviously trying to be a selling point, it just doesn't last. The headband padding falling off, the wood scratching, the mesh paint being knicked, the headphone paint being chipped... This is all with *babying* the headphones. When they're set down, it's gentle. They don't fall off any desks, and I don't pick them up in any weird way.

They look good out of the box. Give them time and they fall apart cosmetically. Functionally, still good.

Aug 6, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #1,530 of 7,535
Quote:

<2*

It's not really a strict guideline. 1/8 is a better rule. That said, the Sennheiser HD598 performs best with low impedance amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back