Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #1,501 of 7,535
Quote:
I really think that the style and price point of these cans makes re-cabling either an amusing exercises or a really dedicated head-fier.  I personally think they sounds very fine with the stock cable, and I couldn't imagine ripping them apart and spending more money on cables to make them sound anywhere from slightly better to a bit better.  I know some will disagree with me, but the question to ask about re-cabling the 598s is: "Do I REALLY want to do this?"  If yes, then please post some pics. 

Edit: In essence.  You do not need to re-cable to make them sound good.  They are just that from the get go.  

Most of what I have read concerning these hp's has led me to believe they are, as you say, good from the word go. I wouldn't be interested in buying something I would have to perform surgery on to achieve a sound I believed existed naturally. I'm replacing a pair of sr60's that lost it's left channel after a couple of years use. Thank you for your input.

Jul 25, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #1,502 of 7,535
Quote:
100% totally not needed. They sound fine with the stock cable.
When I recabled them I was surprised at how much clearer they sounded. Still had retained it's stock signature since the Mogami is fairly neutral.

Recabling the 598 is a pain and not worth it for most people. You need to drill a hole and then solder a fairly large wire onto a tiny soldering spot. Believe it or not drilling a hole was easier and faster than soldering it.
There's also a board in there you need to remove, so no going back to stock. You also void your warranty.

BTW I also tried an HD-650 cable on the HD-598..sounds terrible. Wonder why?

Mogami seems very similar to the stock HD-598 wiring. Everything else i've tried changed it's sound too much. Canare and Double Helix wire were especially bad. Double Helix is perfect on the HD-600 though.

Also..I think silver or silver plated copper would ruin the sound of the HD-598.

I was hoping it wouldn't be needed. I'm replacing a pair of sr60's that served me well until the left channel went out. The hd598's seem to be a suitable replacement for me. Thanks for your response.

Jul 25, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #1,503 of 7,535
Don't worry, they work fine as they are.
smile.gif

Jul 25, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #1,504 of 7,535
Quote:
Don't worry, they work fine as they are.
smile.gif

Thanks Headstar. Since your the OP let me pick your brain, if you don't mind. I'm not interested in using these with my computer, but I do intend to use them with a mini system and, hopefully, a stereo receiver such as the Yamaha r-s300 or 500. I really don't know anything about matching up components and I basically only hear about using hp amps and dacs. I assume these will work well with a decent receiver but do I need to add a subwoofer or are 50 or 75 watt receivers adequate? I really enjoyed your original post with pictures. Thanks, again.

Jul 25, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #1,505 of 7,535
I use mine on my speaker amplifier all the time and works like a charm. You shouldn't be worried by matching with these. They deliver from about any source. The only sources to worry about are the noise induction ones, like cheap pc sound cards. The integrated ones usually have a considerable level of background noise. But if you're using the amplifier or reciever with good sources like disc players (CD, SACD,DVD, BluRay etc.) there's no reason to fear.

I'm not sure what you mean about the subwoofer, you will not need another component as long as the amplifier has a dedicated headphone jack. Most of them have a fairly good headphone output. But you will need a source of music, whether is from your PC, a disc player, a tuner, a turntable etc.
regular_smile%20.gif

Music format or compression (bitrate) are not a problem with these headphones. They excel with anything from 320kbps to FLAC, APE and WAV. Mp3s are just fine to use. What you need to fully enjoy the music at a high level, is properly recorded music. You'll see a lot of people arguing over the bitrate stuff. In reality microphone placement during the original recording session, and mastering, are what really decides how well a song will sing.

Unfortunately most of the current artists (or their studios) don't care too much about stereophonics. In other words if you headphones don't always sound right, it's not them or your setup, just badly recorded music.
smile.gif

Jul 25, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #1,506 of 7,535
Quote:
I use mine on my speaker amplifier all the time and works like a charm. You shouldn't be worried by matching with these. They deliver from about any source. The only sources to worry about are the noise induction ones, like cheap pc sound cards. The integrated ones usually have a considerable level of background noise. But if you're using the amplifier or reciever with good sources like disc players (CD, SACD,DVD, BluRay etc.) there's no reason to fear.

I'm not sure what you mean about the subwoofer, you will not need another component as long as the amplifier has a dedicated headphone jack. Most of them have a fairly good headphone output. But you will need a source of music, whether is from your PC, a disc player, a tuner, a turntable etc.
regular_smile%20.gif

Music format or compression (bitrate) are not a problem with these headphones. They excel with anything from 320kbps to FLAC, APE and WAV. Mp3s are just fine to use. What you need to fully enjoy the music at a high level, is properly recorded music. You'll see a lot of people arguing over the bitrate stuff. In reality microphone placement during the original recording session, and mastering, are what really decides how well a song will sing.

Unfortunately most of the current artists (or their studios) don't care too much about stereophonics. In other words if you headphones don't always sound right, it's not them or your setup, just badly recorded music.
smile.gif

I'm so old school with this stuff I find myself getting hopelessly lost trying to follow today's jargon concerning it all. I just want to play and enjoy my music on a component system. As for the music itself I listen mostly to 50's, 60's, and 70's rock, r&b, pop and country reissues on labels like Ace UK, Bear Family , Eric, Rhino, etc. Those are for the 50's and 60's music mostly. I do listen to some jazz and classical, as well. From everything I have read about the HD598's  I have concluded these cans should handle my music nicely. What do you think?
Thank you, again for your input.

Jul 26, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #1,510 of 7,535
Quote:

It doesn't make a huge difference, but I find any Mp3 files on my computer just sound flat and lifeless. Between high bitrate AAC and lossless (I use ALAC) though, I usually don't notice a difference at all.

Aug 1, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #1,511 of 7,535
Hi,

I listen Jazz, Fusion, Blues, Folk, Indie, Rock and Progressive Rock/Metal, and my amplifier is Leema Pulse III (32ohms minimum requirements for headphones).

I thought about HD 598 and HD 650, but it seems that I will like more the HD 598 because seems similar to the sound of my KEF loudspeakers.

Since you are experts on these headphones, what do you think that will serve better my listening and amplifier?

Thanks

Aug 1, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #1,512 of 7,535
That amp looks like it'd do fine with the 598's. The 650 is a different headphone - if it's at all possible, demonstrate both. The 650 is the better, IMO, but the 598 has a unique signature as far as the HD series.

Aug 2, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #1,514 of 7,535
Quote:
Maybe the question should be more what of these is the most neutral?

IMO it's HD-580 > HD-598 > HD-600 > HD-650

Yes, I find the 598 more neutral than the HD-600. I wouldn't use either in a studio though.
HD-600 has a mid-bass hump and the HD-598 has the forward mids..598 just sounds more balanced to my ears.

Aug 2, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #1,515 of 7,535
Quote:
IMO it's HD-580 > HD-598 > HD-600 > HD-650

Yes, I find the 598 more neutral than the HD-600. I wouldn't use either in a studio though.
HD-600 has a mid-bass hump and the HD-598 has the forward mids..598 just sounds more balanced to my ears.

In my opinion, the higher headphone version should has the more neutral sound, but it seems that wasn't the case here...

It seems that I will try the HD-598.

@tdockweiler:
You change the stock cord to a better one to improve it.
I can get the Mogami W2534 or Sommer Cable SC-SQUARE 4-Core MKII HighFlex, but where can I find the 2.5mm plug that fit it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back