Sennheiser HD 598 Impressions Thread
Aug 8, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #1,546 of 7,535
Quote:

You are right, HD650 would be better consideration...I understand your point... Honestly though, there's no cheap way to great sound, but it's all very well to say one headphone can compete with another though pricing and come out as winner…

Many people prefer the 598 over the 6xx series. The 598 is technically the most recent addition of the Sennheiser line - except hd 700 - and have significant improvements with the treble and soundstage over the 6xx series imo. Others and myself also find the 598 to be the "midrange king" (delicious vocals). The bass is also surprisingly good for a soundstage of this size. 

Aug 8, 2012 at 7:12 PM Post #1,547 of 7,535
Quote:
Many people prefer the 598 over the 6xx series. The 598 is technically the most recent addition of the Sennheiser line - except hd 700 - and have significant improvements with the treble and soundstage over the 6xx series imo. Others and myself also find the 598 to be the "midrange king" (delicious vocals). The bass is also surprisingly good for a soundstage of this size. 

If I could get a 650 for 250 dollars, I would, and it would be used more than the 598. Still, I see your point. Different strokes.

Aug 8, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #1,548 of 7,535
Quote:
E17 probably cannot drive the HE-400 well enough. But I do not know much about the hifiman planar magnetic lines so don't trust me. 

I heard the O2 is good enough for the LCD 2 so I presume it would be great for the HE-400 as well. "Improved SQ" is a matter of perspective. The O2 should be more transparent, slightly wider soundstage, no coloration, and quieter (though both are probably inaudible). 

The HE-400 is driven adequately from an E17. The HE-400 doesn't need as much as the other hifimans.

Aug 8, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #1,549 of 7,535
Quote:
Quote:
E17 probably cannot drive the HE-400 well enough. But I do not know much about the hifiman planar magnetic lines so don't trust me. 

I heard the O2 is good enough for the LCD 2 so I presume it would be great for the HE-400 as well. "Improved SQ" is a matter of perspective. The O2 should be more transparent, slightly wider soundstage, no coloration, and quieter (though both are probably inaudible). 

The HE-400 is driven adequately from an E17. The HE-400 doesn't need as much as the other hifimans.

[size=10pt]Thanks to both of you for replay…[/size]

[size=10pt]I read in other threads....O2 is good for analytical listen and hp is more emotional on Lyr…this making me to want Lyr…but huge price diff…will check my options on this…[/size]

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #1,550 of 7,535
Quote:
I know everyone recommends the O2 amp these days but it's the way to go. It can power the majority of phones out there, with the exception of a few dynamic headphones and electrostat headphones. 

P.S. I consider the HD 598 to be upper mid-fi. 

Lol oh I thought something like HD650, HE-400 would be upper mid-fi. That's what I'm talking about anyways, maybe in a year or two.

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #1,551 of 7,535
Quote:

[size=10pt]I read in other threads....O2 is good for analytical listen and hp is more emotional on Lyr…this making me to want Lyr…but huge price diff…will check my options on this…[/size]

Emotional? Pttf. Isn't Lyr a tube amp? Tube amps distort every aspect of the sound. Emotional is subjective. I think in this case, it's people hearing something very different, after having spend 200-300 bucks, and believing that they're actually hearing some improvement on an emotional level. 

If people want colored sound, then it should be up to the headphones, not the amp themselves. Amps should simply amplify - no more. You see people spend tons of cash on higher end headphones/ amps/ DACs to reproduce the sound as the recorder intended and yet IRONICALLY there are people spending tons of cash on colored distorted audio equipment. Do yourself a favor and get the O2. 

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #1,552 of 7,535
Quote:
Lol oh I thought something like HD650, HE-400 would be upper mid-fi. That's what I'm talking about anyways, maybe in a year or two.

Define mid-fi and hi-fi. I honestly do not believe price has a major factor in headphone performance. Some people prefer the DT880 over the T1, a headphone worth about 3 times the price. Some people prefer the HD 650 over the 600, although clearly the HD 600 is far more neutral and has a more balanced frequency response. I mean isn't that what we call "superiority"? Yet ironically, as people put out more cash for more expensive equipment, they are not getting straight up improvements, but both pros AND cons. 

598 has a superior soundstage to the 650 by far, and a more realistic bass. Very close to neutral and I find the midrange to be better, mainly because it's more well balanced out with the bass and treble. Treble on the 598 is just perfect; I find the treble on the 600 and 650 (especially 650) to be lacking in any sort of contained energy. 

Aug 8, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #1,553 of 7,535
Quote:
Quote:

Emotional? Pttf. Isn't Lyr a tube amp? Tube amps distort every aspect of the sound. Emotional is subjective. I think in this case, it's people hearing something very different, after having spend 200-300 bucks, and believing that they're actually hearing some improvement on an emotional level. 

If people want colored sound, then it should be up to the headphones, not the amp themselves. Amps should simply amplify - no more. You see people spend tons of cash on higher end headphones/ amps/ DACs to reproduce the sound as the recorder intended and yet IRONICALLY there are people spending tons of cash on colored distorted audio equipment. Do yourself a favor and get the O2. 

Excellent post, I could not agree more....will go for O2

I admire your assesments and your post (48) in this thread is one of best I read on 598
http://www.head-fi.org/t/616860/sennheiser-hd-598-ugly-or-sexy/45

Thank you

Aug 9, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #1,555 of 7,535
Quote:
Define mid-fi and hi-fi. I honestly do not believe price has a major factor in headphone performance. Some people prefer the DT880 over the T1, a headphone worth about 3 times the price. Some people prefer the HD 650 over the 600, although clearly the HD 600 is far more neutral and has a more balanced frequency response. I mean isn't that what we call "superiority"? Yet ironically, as people put out more cash for more expensive equipment, they are not getting straight up improvements, but both pros AND cons. 

598 has a superior soundstage to the 650 by far, and a more realistic bass. Very close to neutral and I find the midrange to be better, mainly because it's more well balanced out with the bass and treble. Treble on the 598 is just perfect; I find the treble on the 600 and 650 (especially 650) to be lacking in any sort of contained energy. 

Oh yeah you're right, hd598 really outperforms it's price range. I was just going strictly by cost. Also I don't see any problem with spending more money on a pair of cans that isn't necessarily better. It's all just about a new and different headphone experience. I enjoy hearing the differences between headphones. I like my 598s, but I want to try more 
jecklinsmile.gif

Aug 11, 2012 at 11:44 PM Post #1,558 of 7,535
Hi all,

I've been reading this thread and whatever else I can find about the HD598.  Currently I have the HD580's and am using them with a Bellari HA540 amp. I'm considering getting the HD598's and would like some opinions about whether this is worth doing and what to expect sound-wise if I do. I've read what I could find in other threads about the differences between the two and thought I would pose that question here to get some more input. Thanks!

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #1,559 of 7,535
Quote:
Hi all,

I've been reading this thread and whatever else I can find about the HD598.  Currently I have the HD580's and am using them with a Bellari HA540 amp. I'm considering getting the HD598's and would like some opinions about whether this is worth doing and what to expect sound-wise if I do. I've read what I could find in other threads about the differences between the two and thought I would pose that question here to get some more input. Thanks!

Well, the HD-580 is quite good and if you get both and over-analyze each of them, you'll find some negatives about the HD-598.

The difference for me is that the 598 has more treble, less bass (including low bass extension), less forward upper mids. The mids in general sound more forward though.

HD-580 has more mid-bass and often sounds clearer than the 598 with specific music. The 598 is a little more grainy, but it's hard to spot. I actually think the HD-580 is clearer than the HD-600 though!
To make things worse..the 598 sounds clearer than the HD-600 to me. Weird isn't it?

Detail level is about the same or very similar. HD-580 with a good DAC might have a slight edge.

The one thing I like more about the 598 is that it seems to have a more forward sound. For ME (and my music) it's a little more fun and engaging to listen to. Of course someone ideas of "fun" could be extra bass.
For me it's a little extra treble and some forward mids. Despite the 598 being more forward sounding than the HD-600/580, it's quite well balanced and smooth sounding. Don't ask me how they pulled that off!

The HD-580 also of course benefits more from an amp. As long as the 598 is properly amped, it's sound doesn't seem to improve much when switching to better amps.

Then there's the soundstage. The 598 has the HD-580 beat easily. It's much larger. I think the HD-580's soundstage could possibly be a little more accurate and have better imaging, but i'm not 100% sure of this (yet).
I love both so I stopped comparing them.

What's nice too about the 598 is that you can use it around the house easily! No amp required at all times.

Right now I can't decide which headphone I like more..580 or 598. I'd take even the 598 over the HD-600 any day though. BTW if you use the HD-600 grills on your 580 these descriptions are a bit off.

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #1,560 of 7,535
Quote:

Well, the HD-580 is quite good and if you get both and over-analyze each of them, you'll find some negatives about the HD-598.

The difference for me is that the 598 has more treble, less bass (including low bass extension), less forward upper mids. The mids in general sound more forward though.

HD-580 has more mid-bass and often sounds clearer than the 598 with specific music. The 598 is a little more grainy, but it's hard to spot. I actually think the HD-580 is clearer than the HD-600 though!
To make things worse..the 598 sounds clearer than the HD-600 to me. Weird isn't it?

Detail level is about the same or very similar. HD-580 with a good DAC might have a slight edge.

The one thing I like more about the 598 is that it seems to have a more forward sound. For ME (and my music) it's a little more fun and engaging to listen to. Of course someone ideas of "fun" could be extra bass.
For me it's a little extra treble and some forward mids. Despite the 598 being more forward sounding than the HD-600/580, it's quite well balanced and smooth sounding. Don't ask me how they pulled that off!

The HD-580 also of course benefits more from an amp. As long as the 598 is properly amped, it's sound doesn't seem to improve much when switching to better amps.

Then there's the soundstage. The 598 has the HD-580 beat easily. It's much larger. I think the HD-580's soundstage could possibly be a little more accurate and have better imaging, but i'm not 100% sure of this (yet).
I love both so I stopped comparing them.

What's nice too about the 598 is that you can use it around the house easily! No amp required at all times.

Right now I can't decide which headphone I like more..580 or 598. I'd take even the 598 over the HD-600 any day though. BTW if you use the HD-600 grills on your 580 these descriptions are a bit off.

Thank you for the detailed analysis!  Besides the HD580 I have the Grado 325i's and those two are worlds apart but I like them both - It depends on the recording, but at times I like hearing the two different "interpretations" and appreciate both. I'm wondering if there is enough difference between the HD580 and HD598 to warrant getting the latter, and if the HD598 would be somewhere in the middle of the two I have now. It sounds like it would be worth trying.  I value what others on the forum have to say so I appreciate the comments!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back