Sennheiser HD 598 + Fiio E11 is it good enough?
Jul 27, 2012 at 11:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

maximilians

New Head-Fier
Hey everybody, i already had sennheiser HD 598, and i had Fiio e6 too. But somehow i lil bit dissapointed my amp, i dunno why, but it is. I want to upgrade my amp, someone tell me to buy Cmoy, but in my country its a lil bit hard to find it. The most common was fiio product. And Mike from Headphonia tell me to buy at least Fiio e11, because i can' find Cmoy. Is e11 good enough for my cans? What whill improved? My Dap was ipad 2.

Jul 28, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
Hey everybody, I already had Sennheiser HD 598, and i had Fiio e6 too. But somehow i lil bit dissapointed my amp, i dunno why, but it is. I want to upgrade my amp, someone tell me to buy Cmoy, but in my country its a lil bit hard to find it. The most common was fiio product. And Mike from Headphonia tell me to buy at least Fiio e11, because i can' find Cmoy. Is e11 good enough for my cans? What whill improved? My Dap was ipad 2.

My E11 can drive my 250-Ohm headphones, the Senn HD598 are only 50-Ohm.
I would guess the Fiio E11 is about the best choice for trying to improve the audio quality with the HD598.
The high voltage setting and high gain setting and bass boost on the E11 might improve the HD598 over the E6.

Jul 28, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:
My E11 can drive my 250-Ohm headphones, the Senn HD598 are only 50-Ohm.
I would guess the Fiio E11 is about the best choice for trying to improve the audio quality with the HD598.
The high voltage setting and high gain setting and bass boost on the E11 might improve the HD598 over the E6.

Why would the high voltage/gain setting help the HD 598? It's a low impedance phone. 

I do not think the E11 will be a substantial improvement over the E6. Theoretically, the E5/ E6 should be an OKAY amp for the HD 598 for the damping factor. If you're not happy with the sound quality, consider a DAC, not an amp. 

Headfonia has many other portable amp options, if that's what you're looking for. I do not know how well something like the ibasso zero measure though. From what I heard, the Mini 3 has some horrible measurements... In addition, I would take Mike's words with a grain of salt :xf_eek:

I think Cmoy amps can be bought on Ebay, though you have to research on who the trustworthy dealers are. 

Jul 28, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:
Why would the high voltage/gain setting help the HD 598? It's a low impedance phone. 

I do not think the E11 will be a substantial improvement over the E6. Theoretically, the E5/ E6 should be an OKAY amp for the HD 598 for the damping factor. If you're not happy with the sound quality, consider a DAC, not an amp. 

Headfonia has many other portable amp options, if that's what you're looking for. I do not know how well something like the ibasso zero measure though. From what I heard, the Mini 3 has some horrible measurements... In addition, I would take Mike's words with a grain of salt :xf_eek:

I think Cmoy amps can be bought on Ebay, though you have to research on who the trustworthy dealers are. 

Because the E11 is a portable amp, therefore it doesn't have as much juice as plug in amplifiers (obviously). It would be better to put it in high gain because the HD598s say they are 50 ohm impedance, but they don't behave like every 50 ohm headphones and IEMs. Personally I haven't tried the HD598 with a portable amp like the E11, but with that said, I think the E11 will have more than enough power to run the HD598.

And I disagree with you on the E11 not being an improvement over the E6. I had all Fiio portable amps including E1, E3, E5, E6 (tried, not owned), E7, and E11, but not the E17 yet. Being as specific as possible, I think the order goes E11> E17> E7> E6> E5> E3> and E1 in terms of general SQ. And I don't think he wants a DAC because it seems like it's for portable use? If not, I think many of us will be able to recommend great DACs for him, which I cannot at this point in time due to insufficient information. 

The E11 is a great amp and I think you will be very happy with your purchase coming from the E6. The SQ is similar, but the signal and overall amplification seems very clean. Another Amp I can recommend strongly is the JDSLabs C421. That thing is good!

Jul 28, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Did not say it would help, just "might" help.

Jul 28, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Because the E11 is a portable amp, therefore it doesn't have as much juice as plug in amplifiers (obviously). It would be better to put it in high gain because the HD598s say they are 50 ohm impedance, but they don't behave like every 50 ohm headphones and IEMs. Personally I haven't tried the HD598 with a portable amp like the E11, but with that said, I think the E11 will have more than enough power to run the HD598.

And I disagree with you on the E11 not being an improvement over the E6. I had all Fiio portable amps including E1, E3, E5, E6 (tried, not owned), E7, and E11, but not the E17 yet. Being as specific as possible, I think the order goes E11> E17> E7> E6> E5> E3> and E1 in terms of general SQ. And I don't think he wants a DAC because it seems like it's for portable use? If not, I think many of us will be able to recommend great DACs for him, which I cannot at this point in time due to insufficient information. 

The E11 is a great amp and I think you will be very happy with your purchase coming from the E6. The SQ is similar, but the signal and overall amplification seems very clean. Another Amp I can recommend strongly is the JDSLabs C421. That thing is good!

Never owned the Fiio. However, I've read some measurements comparing the E11, E5, and E6 online. It was not a substantial improvement at all. There are better portable amps out there. And I do not see how the E17 has an inferior sound quality to the E11. If that's true, then Fiio is ripping off of everyone. 

Jul 29, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Never owned the Fiio. However, I've read some measurements comparing the E11, E5, and E6 online. It was not a substantial improvement at all. There are better portable amps out there. And I do not see how the E17 has an inferior sound quality to the E11. If that's true, then Fiio is ripping off of everyone. 

Measurements only mean so much on amplifiers that are rated at 300ohm max... And besides, I was talking about general SQ and of course we all know there are a lot of great amps available, but for value/performance, I find the E11 hard to overlook. And I never said that the E17 has an inferior sound quality to the E11, I just think the E11 is just better IMO. I'll explain why it's better so you don't have to ask. Firstly, I find the E11 to have a generally warmer sound signature. Warmer doesn't mean better usually, just sounds more organic and lively compared to the E17. The E17 has a bit of dry and airyness to it. In general terms, the E11 sounds a bit more fuller. I think the E17 has clearer highs and the E17 seems to be more focus and precise. The E11s Bass boost just seems to be more impactful than the E17s 10 level Bass gain (i think it's 5? I forgot). Of course, in the DAC section, the E11 doesn't have a DAC so another win to the E17. And with that said, the DAC is pretty good on the E17. So here's the final wrap-up. I think the E11 is the better dedicated portable amplifier while the E17 is a great computer companion and on the go versatility. The battery lasts longer on the E17 and unlike the E11, you can use it while charging. For pure amping, I strongly recommend the E11 and for all of the above, the E17 has my vote. If you want to pay more for a great portable amp, I think the JDSLabs C421 is realllly good. 

Jul 29, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #8 of 9
Hey thanks for all response buddy, it helps me a lot. Yea i like jdslab too, but its kinda tricky in my country to buy that, even with ebay. The corrupt gov will play in tax section, then the price will raise soooo much. Just like in the Us i heard that senn 598 in 250$ right? But in my country it become at least 300$. Too bad eh? Soo i like to buy e11.. Theres plenty of fiio product here. In the scale 0 to 10, how much will u give to e11 ? And jdslab c421 ? Sorry for my poor english:p

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #9 of 9
For a dac I'm really considering the shiit modi set up for these haven't looked into the odac/ o2 much tho seems like people like the shiit better. Any suggestions to look at? Also i would really like to play with tube amps just seems like solid state pairs better with these? I use them for paramore, pink Floyd, the eagles, flyleaf...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back