Sennheiser HD 598 and what sound card?
Sep 28, 2012 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

headshot

New Head-Fier
Hey folks. Im hoping someone can advice me on this matter. I got these great headphones thanks to mad lust envy brilliant thread but now I need a PCIE sound card to go along with these great headphones 

Ill be using the headphones mostly for gaming and music 

Im not sure on budget, I know I want the best out of the headphones but iv already spend alot on these headphones so no crazy money on a sound card if possible please 

Sep 28, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #2 of 10
Well I find to an extent you get what you pay for with sound cards. I'm assuming you are going to be mainly gaming, rather then music. Saying this I would suggest the Creative Titanium HD. you can get it for anywhere from 100-139.99 depend on the time and place you buy it. Another option if you are big into music is the Asus Xonar Essence st/stx.

Hope this helps,

if you can list a budget,

cheers

Sep 28, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
Well I find to an extent you get what you pay for with sound cards. I'm assuming you are going to be mainly gaming, rather then music. Saying this I would suggest the Creative Titanium HD. you can get it for anywhere from 100-139.99 depend on the time and place you buy it. Another option if you are big into music is the Asus Xonar Essence st/stx.

Hope this helps,

if you can list a budget,

cheers

thanks for the reply

Yes ill be gaming mostly. Yes Titanium HD is a superb card but im not sure is it worth spending the extra for it. May I ask what do you think of the A[size=medium]sus Xonar D2X?[/size]

[size=medium]my budget is around 100 [/size]

Sep 28, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 10
If you want to keep costs down, here's a $45 X-Fi Titanium.

Analog sound quality obviously isn't as good as the Titanium HD, but it is under half the price and still has all the gaming features while still sounding reasonably good.

You can get improved sound quality later if you're willing to buy a DAC with S/PDIF input.

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
thanks for the reply

Yes ill be gaming mostly. Yes Titanium HD is a superb card but im not sure is it worth spending the extra for it. May I ask what do you think of the A[size=medium]sus Xonar D2X?[/size]

Xonars are pretty good with music, but if gaming is a priority you'll like the X-fi.

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:
If you want to keep costs down, here's a $45 X-Fi Titanium.

Analog sound quality obviously isn't as good as the Titanium HD, but it is under half the price and still has all the gaming features while still sounding reasonably good.

You can get improved sound quality later if you're willing to buy a DAC with S/PDIF input.

tell me more 
Quote:

Xonars are pretty good with music, but if gaming is a priority you'll like the X-fi.

thanks for the input. Truth be told I had the x-fi once and loved them, But I built a new computer with 2x 670s and there wasnt room for it but now iv learned away around this problem using a [size=small]PCI-E Express Flexible Cable Extender Card[/size]

Its looking like ill be rebuying the card. Feel like an idiot thinking my mobo sound would do ugh 

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
tell me more

If you go into the X-Fi's settings, you'll find a "Play Stereo Mix using Digital Output" checkbox under one of the settings tabs. (Which tab it is depends on whether you use the Audio Control Panel or the Console Launcher. The former has it under SPDIF I/O, the latter under Digital I/O.)

Once you enable that, you get the same two channels through S/PDIF that you do through analog.

As for which DAC to use, I have no specific recommendations since they all get on the expensive side (read: over twice the price of the X-Fi Titanium HD). I have heard good things about the Cambridge DacMagic and the PS Audio Digital Link series, though.

Sep 29, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
tell me more 
thanks for the input. Truth be told I had the x-fi once and loved them, But I built a new computer with 2x 670s and there wasnt room for it but now iv learned away around this problem using a [size=small]PCI-E Express Flexible Cable Extender Card[/size]

Its looking like ill be rebuying the card. Feel like an idiot thinking my mobo sound would do ugh 

What make and model motherboard is it?

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #10 of 10
Just to say im a very happy owner of HD598's and creative titanium HD.

Im wondering what is the best method method of connecting them to the sound card? Should I just use sound cards headphone socket or is there somthing better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back