Sennheiser HD-595 vs. 598
Sep 16, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #19 of 67

Quote:
Yeah considering buying one not to use in my main rig at home per se, but for on the train/out-and-about. As soon as I can order one that ships to AUS I will

I was recently on a train with someone using 595s, and I must say that most of the other passengers did not seem very happy with him using open phones in public. You're also going to hear a lot of noise from the train/other noise outside with open phones like these, so they're not really great for out and about or on public transport.

Sep 17, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #21 of 67
Mmm true. Man that was my excuse for buying a pair, why ruin it for?!
tongue.gif

Oct 18, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #22 of 67
Im totaly down for one of these, and amped with a Little Dot MK II+ i hope to be geting soon, TWILL BE SWEEEEEET!

Oct 22, 2010 at 11:48 AM Post #23 of 67

Quote:
 ​
VS.
 ​

I decided to take some time and compare both just to see what the marginal trivial is and to be honest the only difference I found was the 598 has a different housing, "Premium beige and high-gloss burl wood parts for a sophisticated finish" as stated by Sennheiser...everything else seems to be the same! It doesn't even come with a headphone holder. I mean, I find it stylish, while others don't...it would look nice for collection purposes but other than that I find it useless if one already owns the HD-595. However, what was the real reason behind Sennheiser announcing the HD-598 if it isn't different in sound quality? I can't seem to figure that one out. Will it perhaps replace the HD-595 in fashion? So, let's say if one needs to replace their old HD-595 for technical tribulations, will they receive the HD-598 as an alternative? That's a big leeway.

I find this exceedingly outlandish!

blink.gif

They are the same, driver wise, but the 598 also has a removable cable. And it looks pretty sexy too. If only there was a headphone amp to match it.

Oct 22, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #24 of 67
My HD555 which have been worn out due to years of intensive use needed a replacement so I just picked up a pair of HD598's. Right now, even without burn in they're a vast improvement over the HD555's. Larger soundstage, deeper bass, better instrument seperation.

Cant compare it to the HD595's though as Ive never heard those.

Oct 22, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #26 of 67

Quote:
They are the same, driver wise, but the 598 also has a removable cable. And it looks pretty sexy too. If only there was a headphone amp to match it.

The 598 driver looks different than the driver in my 595. From the pictures the differences are the four dots around the driver and the dark ring around the center driver hole. The baffles are also different, the 598 has different (asymetric) spoke spacing in the bottom half. Also, the inner grill is different, the 598 one is more open, and the 558 grill, although different from 598, is also different from 555 and 595 due to larger holes, and more of.

edit: it's good to see the Sennheiser engineers paid more attention to the grill, i always thought it was a design flaw of the 595s. Too bad they kept the headband wire, it has 1ohm+ resistence, similar to the entire cable up to that point. I've been meaning to replace it for like, forever.

Oct 29, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #27 of 67
Just a quick question about the 598 in particular. What type of connections to they have on them? I'm not familiar with the sizes of the plugs but will it fit into ipods or does it have the larger plug (without any adapters)? I don't really like to use adapters as I think they bring down the quality of the sound.

Thanks

Oct 30, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #30 of 67
The adapter is a pathetic excuse for being a tryhard audiophile can. If they were anything near serious they'd have an adapter like grado's one. The only other can that is able to get away with this is the K701, which isn't tryhard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back