Sennheiser HD 558 or 598?
Sep 6, 2011 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

naturalmystic

New Head-Fier
Hello

New to the forum. Looking to replace my old Sennheiser cans. Looking at the HD558 and HD598. Basically the same price. Using for ipod ( with Pav2 amp) movies and a little xbox gaming ( my son). Comfort is very important, as well as good sound.  Any opinions on which to buy? Welcome any other suggestions also.  thanks

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 35
It sounds like you have a little money issues?

Go for the HD558 and look up the tape mod for the HD555. Same thing. All you have to do is remove the strip of tape on the inside of the cups. The sound matches about 95% of the HD598

Read my review of the HD598 in my signature for long term ideas. Comfort is nice as long as you like velour. Most people do. I'm not most people.

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 35
Given that right now on Amazon, the 558s and 598s are only about $6 apart, I'd go with the 598s unless you don't like their coloring. $180 is a pretty good price for a pair of 598s. However, I'd recommend also looking around elsewhere, like on eBay, as generally you can get the 558s for quite a bit cheaper.

Sep 6, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #5 of 35
Yet the HD 598 remains the better of the two.
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 6, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 35
Hi, 
I picked up a pair of HD598 a week ago and was able to get J&R to undercut Amazon by about $15.  I just told them that Amazon had the 598's for $170 and asked if they'd beat the price.  They have a pretty good price matching policy.  Their sales team sometimes checks the competitors' sites, but sometimes they just take your word.  You may want to give them a call to see what they'll do for you.  

Sep 6, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #7 of 35

Quote:
Hi, 
I picked up a pair of HD598 a week ago and was able to get J&R to undercut Amazon by about $15.  I just told them that Amazon had the 598's for $170 and asked if they'd beat the price.  They have a pretty good price matching policy.  Their sales team sometimes checks the competitors' sites, but sometimes they just take your word.  You may want to give them a call to see what they'll do for you.  

Call them up saying "HD598 for $100 on Amazon"

"Alright, we'll match that"

Then sell them back here at a slashed price BRAND NEW

Sep 6, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #10 of 35

Quote:
Hmm, guy, I don't think that'll work.  They're sure to check if the cost is way lower than their asking price.  

Worth trying
tongue.gif

Sep 6, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #11 of 35
Got my 598 on ebay for 171$ shipped from electronics expo. They sound lovely but I'm returning them today for denons. And its bass isn't weak at all, not punchy but more bass than my hd202 that's for sure and the sound... made me tear up a little (lush, balanced, smooth, beautiful, 50 times better than my beat up hd202 lol). I tested them on chillout/electronica, jazz, and rock (sounded a bit harsh with rock but its probably my source) so bass is to be expected and it's there and it's smooth! Unfortunately, I need closed headphones. Good luck hunting for em!

Nov 3, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #12 of 35
I just bought the Sennheiser HD 558.  Im really hyped, but if these crack boy will i be pissed. Pssh 2 year warranty, just fix the defect already!  I had a HD 555 for a couple years, and those cracked eventually snapped in two.  No attempt by Sennheiser to fix the defect on those.  I feel like im taking a huge risk by buying these..

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #13 of 35
I'm knee deep and about to jump in on a pair of hd558's.. The headband cracking is more really at the side, correct?

I think the Sennheiser rep on this forum has mentioned that they've fixed the problem and you can send in your previous versions of the hd598 to get a free replacement.. Is the cracking as rampant on the hd558? They look to be the same/similar build of materials, just a different colour.. But sometimes changing the colour can change the mix enough to make it weak..

Interesting.. Any hd558 owners have cracking issues?

Nov 13, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #14 of 35

Quote:
I'm knee deep and about to jump in on a pair of hd558's.. The headband cracking is more really at the side, correct?

I think the Sennheiser rep on this forum has mentioned that they've fixed the problem and you can send in your previous versions of the hd598 to get a free replacement.. Is the cracking as rampant on the hd558? They look to be the same/similar build of materials, just a different colour.. But sometimes changing the colour can change the mix enough to make it weak..

Interesting.. Any hd558 owners have cracking issues?

I just got the 558's a week ago and I couldn't be happier.  The bass has become more punchy with use and they're the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.  As for the cracking issues previous owners have had, I can't see them cracking with proper use and care.  I've fallen asleep with these on because they're slight so maybe in time that'll change.  I also watched a tear down of them on utube and even if they do crack, they'll still be operable.  Hope this helps.
Btw, I was able to buy the 558's for $117 shipped using the code "dealzon" at Electronics Expo.  They were so much cheaper than they other sites that I used two day shipping for an extra $15 and still got a great deal.  

Nov 13, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #15 of 35
I really dig the look of the 598. Even if the mod can get them close, like the 555 to the 595 I'd buy the 598 for the style alone. I really miss the comfort of my 555, they really are one of the most comfortable phones out there, does anyone know how the 650 compares to the 55x/59x in terms of comfort?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back