Sennheiser HD 558 or 598?
Nov 13, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #16 of 35
. tested both of them : 598 is much more comfor than 558 guys. earpad is softer than 558. compare to ad700. hd598 same as comfor and it FIT my head. about the sound. i love my 558's bass. punchy :D . but if have money to buy 598. i'll buy ad900 :D:D

Nov 13, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #17 of 35
if the arms crack on the hd5xx, all you have to do is call sennusa.  you can send them back to get refurbished or you can get them to send you replacement arms if you are up to the task of resoldering the right driver .  also an easy way to prevent the cracking issue is to simply loosen up the screws on the arms a bit.  there are 5 screws per arm.  you will want to check/loosen the top two.  that should help alleviate some of the pressure on the arms.  also you can check the two screws inside the arm holding the arm to the headband.  hopefully you guys understand what i mean, i know my description leaves something to be desired

Nov 14, 2011 at 6:51 AM Post #19 of 35

Quote:
I notice with my 558s whenever I stretch them to put it on my head, the right side makes a slight plastic creaking (?) noise. Any 558 owners notice the same problem? Not really a big deal since I have warranty on them, but it just takes away from the sense of durability.

i have just realized this noise last night . :frowning2:

Nov 21, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #20 of 35
another way to prevent the cracking issue would be to bond the little plastic in between the front and back of the arms to the front arm piece using some epoxy.  this would probably be the best way to relieve any pressure on the front arm piece.  as for the sound you hear...  listen to where it is coming from and adjust the screw tension there.  

Nov 22, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #21 of 35

Quote:
I notice with my 558s whenever I stretch them to put it on my head, the right side makes a slight plastic creaking (?) noise. Any 558 owners notice the same problem? Not really a big deal since I have warranty on them, but it just takes away from the sense of durability.

When did you buy your headphones?  I received mine about 2 weeks ago so maybe you have the hd 558s with the defective plastic that cracks often; or so I've been told, but im really not sure if its true or not since i have nothing to compare it to.  When i tap the top headband area, it sounds hollow and feels like brittle plastic, but when i tap the area with the 'Sennheiser' name thats prone to crack it does sound like its made of different material.  I did notice some creaking noise when stretching them out but it was just the velour pads on the headband getting stretched out.  

Nov 22, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #22 of 35

Quote:
Hello

New to the forum. Looking to replace my old Sennheiser cans. Looking at the HD558 and HD598. Basically the same price. Using for ipod ( with Pav2 amp) movies and a little xbox gaming ( my son). Comfort is very important, as well as good sound.  Any opinions on which to buy? Welcome any other suggestions also.  thanks

The HD 598 is the flagship of the series... If its the same price its obvious to me you should get it over the 558.

Nov 22, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #23 of 35

Quote:
When did you buy your headphones?  I received mine about 2 weeks ago so maybe you have the hd 558s with the defective plastic that cracks often; or so I've been told, but im really not sure if its true or not since i have nothing to compare it to.  When i tap the top headband area, it sounds hollow and feels like brittle plastic, but when i tap the area with the 'Sennheiser' name thats prone to crack it does sound like its made of different material.  I did notice some creaking noise when stretching them out but it was just the velour pads on the headband getting stretched out.  

Less than a month ago so it should be the newer revised ones...hopefully. I didn't hear any difference when tapping different parts of the headphones though.

The snapping noise is still there but it seems to happen less frequently now. Either it's loosening up or it's about to crack :frowning2:

Nov 22, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #24 of 35

Quote:

The 555/595 make a creaking sound when the earcups move too.  I think it's just part of how they're constructed.

Nov 26, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #25 of 35
I just had the opportunity to test these out in a shop. 598 sounded airier (better soundstage?), and had more detailed treble. Bass was stronger, maybe a bit boomier on the 558. Also the 598 has better build quality and imo look better. Both of these sounded good to my ears, as im not an audiophile, but i would definitely take 598 over the 558 if i had the money.

Dec 11, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #27 of 35

Quote:
Dear 598 owners:

Do you use these outdoors?

The main use would be indoor but while on a subway, train, airplane, what do you think of them?

You really don't want to use these while commuting. They're open headphones, i.e. sound leaks in and out. People will hear what you are listening to and you will hear outside noise. You probably wouldn't be able to listen to music with the 598's on a subway. If you're looking for commuting headphones, look into IEM's or portable (perhaps on-ear), closed headphones.

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #30 of 35

Users who are viewing this thread

Back