Sennheiser hd 558 cable replacement question
Jul 16, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #31 of 75

Quote:
I'm thinking that I may just order the cable and do the modification myself. It would end up being about half the cost if I were to do it that way. I'm pretty proficient at soldering, but the only thing I'm worried about is what happened to swbf2cheater's set of cans. It seemed that he blew out his drivers by trying different 2.5mm adapters. I would hate for that to happen if I got the pin configuration wrong. We shall see. I should probably buy the headsets first and THEN worry about the cabling. Haha. Thanks for your help.

yepp but the headphone first :p
And if you get the stock cable you shouldn't be messing with the 2.5mm end, you just trim the cable and change the 6.3mm end to 3.5
bigsmile_face.gif

If you have the skills to do it it should be all good, perhaps when you take off the 6.3mm jack make a note of the wiring :D?
Good luck!

Jul 21, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #32 of 75

Quote:
OP..why dont you shoot a PM to a sennheiser rep here?? I believe his name is Rosmandi.. I PM'd him a while ago asking about my warranty and he responded quickly..

Haha I PM'd him a while back and he said 'no we do not manufacture cables of that length as the HD 558 were meant for indoor studio use'
not exact words but the reply was close to this

Jul 29, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #33 of 75
Send an email to Guy Leroux  at Sennheiser Canada.
He can either help you or point you in the right direction. 
He has been very kind and helpful to me over the past couple of years.

His email address is:

LerouxG@sennheiser.ca

[size=xx-small]Guy Leroux
Coordinator, Service Department - Coordonnateur, Département de Service
Sennheiser (Canada) Inc.
[/size]

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:39 AM Post #34 of 75
I have found a cheap simple way or get 3.5mm plug and terminated to any length.

http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/custom-3.5mm-termination.html

All you do is add into the shopping basket both the replacement cable for the hd558 and the custom option, specify length and pay. £12.50 for this seemed ok. I will get my cable next week. Happy now, as the included cable is crazy long and the adapter to 3.5mm is a nonsense with these cans.

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #35 of 75
Quote:
All you do is add into the shopping basket both the replacement cable for the hd558 and the custom option, specify length and pay. £12.50 for this seemed ok. I will get my cable next week. Happy now, as the included cable is crazy long and the adapter to 3.5mm is a nonsense with these cans.

Does Custom Cable's replacement cable have that notch for locking in the cable?

Dec 1, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #36 of 75
Does Custom Cable's replacement cable have that notch for locking in the cable?

As far as I know they are using a brand new hd558 replacement cable, all they do is cut it and add a 3.5mm plug. So does that answer your question. If not email or call them. I phoned them to check I was ordering correctly. Very helpful guy on phone.

Dec 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #37 of 75
Quote:

Let us know how that cable turns out - thanks

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #38 of 75
I ordered from custom cables for the HD558 over a year ago. One standard cable and one custom made with a lenghth of 1.2 meters and terminated to a 3.5 mm plug. CC takes about 2 weeks to make the cable and it took another 3 weeks to arrive to me in the US.
The quality of the cables are  very good. They are built just like the original cable just with the customization. Gold plated tips, and the notch to lock in the plug to the headphone.

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #39 of 75
OK -

Sennheiser has released what many have been waiting for.  A 4.5' long cable with the 3.5mm plug.

I just got off the phone with Sennheiser and ordered it today.

Part number is "US5X8shortcable"

They have to type it in as one word like that for it to come up in their system.  $12.95 plus shipping.

You're welcome!

Dec 7, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #40 of 75
All this time and they are just now releasing a optional cable? That's actually quite funny. Better super late than never I guess.

Dec 7, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #41 of 75
Can't believe that. Still waiting for my custom cable.

Might not get it next week since we are forecast to get heaviest snowfall in years, up here on the Moors with the strong likelihood of being cut off too.

Dec 7, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #42 of 75
OK -

Sennheiser has released what many have been waiting for.  A 4.5' long cable with the 3.5mm plug.

I just got off the phone with Sennheiser and ordered it today.

Part number is "US5X8shortcable"

They have to type it in as one word like that for it to come up in their system.  $12.95 plus shipping.

You're welcome!

Can't see it on UK website. But might call them tomorrow.

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #45 of 75
I have had the pleasure of using my cable from http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/custom-3.5mm-termination.html as pictured in previous post.

It is 1.2m long and what a huge difference it makes and it might sound slightly better too. Might be a placebo effect but it does seem better. Now I'm not wielded by monster lengths of cable. Sennheiser if you read this, you should offer this length as well as the full size.

Now listening to music at home out and about is a breeze and so much easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back