Sennheiser hd 558 cable replacement question
May 12, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #17 of 75

Quote:

[size=medium]
Hmmmm. Let's see now. Around $200 for the HD598. Then only $350 or so for a custom cable from Whiplash or ALO.... to use with an iPod.
Makes sense!!
[/size]

It sure does especially if im only using a $150 HD558 :D

May 12, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #18 of 75

Quote:
A custom cable for the 558 or 598 would be stupid anyway, it's a single-sided entrance meaning you'd have to swap out the cable inside the headband to really swap the cables.

I WILL REPEAT MYSELF ONCE AGAIN, THE HD 5x8 HAVE REMOVABLE CABLES WITH A 2.5mm OUT JACK!!!!!!!!!

May 12, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #19 of 75
I know, I know!  I was just thinking, if all else fails, you could get something like a V-Moda replacement cable and a 3.5mm-2.5mm converter if you wanted a replacement cable.

Jul 15, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #22 of 75

[size=medium]
As it happens I'm also interested in these headphones but much prefer a coiled cable to a straight one, is there an easy way of acquiring that which I seek? i.e. does anyone actually manufacture replacement cables in coily instead of straight format?

Quote:
If I was lucky enough to get it to fit in I might actually be able to etch the grooves in.

I don't think threading a normal 2.5mm plug would be truly a viable option, but if it is possible to either buy the 2.5mm plug aftermarket or bastardise the included one (carefully...) then that might allow you to tailor a cable...​
[/size]

Jul 15, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #23 of 75
The HD5X8 series uses proprietary cables that as far as I know, are only made by Sennheiser.  Until Sennheiser releases a coiled version, the straight cable appears to be the only option available.

Jul 15, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #24 of 75
custom cables didn't work on my HD598 so im going to assume they wont work on the 558 either, a recable will work just fine, a replacement cable without rewiring will not.  I have a whole thread about this 

Jul 15, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #25 of 75
Jul 15, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #26 of 75

Quote:
I found these replacement cables for the Sennheiser 5x8 series. I'm not sure if these are what you guys are looking for, but I am interested as I'm looking to get a set of 598's. 

The websites picture looks strange however as the picture does not look like it will be compatible with the 5x8 series.

http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/headphone-spares/sennheiser-en/headphone-leads/sennheiser-hd598-replacement-lead-3m.html

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/560761/tragedy-has-befallen-my-hd598-the-drivers-are-blown-t-t/15#post_7610465

Read my replies in this thread :) Custom-cable will trim a stock 598 cable (you just need to tell them its 598 you after) and reterminate it for you

Jul 15, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #27 of 75
Oh my!! Thats beautiful! 
L3000.gif
 I may just have to bight the bullet and order a new set of cans now. Are you in the UK or did you have to get them shipped internationally? It looks like it will be about $50 to get that bad boy here to the U.S.

Jul 15, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #28 of 75

Quote:
Oh my!! Thats beautiful! 
L3000.gif
 I may just have to bight the bullet and order a new set of cans now. Are you in the UK or did you have to get them shipped internationally? It looks like it will be about $50 to get that bad boy here to the U.S.

I'm from the UK, still it took 2 weeks from ordering to receiving it lol ...
Dont know why it took so long, but it came lol.
I must say its not that of a cheap solution. Not sure about what its like in the US, would there be shops which customise the cable for you? Even they might not be selling the stock cable perhaps they can change the adapter and trim if for you if you buy one yourself? Although I wouuld imagine it might be hard to find one near you as its not like UK just being a small island lol ..

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #29 of 75
I'm thinking that I may just order the cable and do the modification myself. It would end up being about half the cost if I were to do it that way. I'm pretty proficient at soldering, but the only thing I'm worried about is what happened to swbf2cheater's set of cans. It seemed that he blew out his drivers by trying different 2.5mm adapters. I would hate for that to happen if I got the pin configuration wrong. We shall see. I should probably buy the headsets first and THEN worry about the cabling. Haha. Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back