Sennheiser hd 558 cable replacement question
Oct 9, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #61 of 75
  Here is another option for a new cable: LINK

I just got this cable. So far it sounds pretty good. I got the shortest length (1.2m). Looks great and classy with my HD598.

I have listened to a few different songs and cannot notice a difference in sound quality (though maybe my ears are not that sensitive).

The only gripe I have, is that the headphone connector (the small jack) is a little stiff and hard to grab to pull out once put in, and can be a little stiff.

Photo link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bakayume/10178940575/

Oct 30, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #62 of 75
I just wanted to say that I ordered the same cable from low20101020. Shipping takes about less than 2 weeks.

It's worth it. It's SO worth it.  The quality of the cable is 10/10.   The seller (low20101020) is also very responsive to any problems. 

I really do recommend the wire. Now I am so happy with my sennheiser HD558.  It's perfect now!!

Apr 7, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #63 of 75
  I just wanted to say that I ordered the same cable from low20101020. Shipping takes about less than 2 weeks.

It's worth it. It's SO worth it.  The quality of the cable is 10/10.   The seller (low20101020) is also very responsive to any problems. 

I really do recommend the wire. Now I am so happy with my sennheiser HD558.  It's perfect now!!

Could you tell me if the connectors are closed or screw on? I'd like to make a custom cable for my 598s and since I can't find the 2.5mm connector anywhere, I'd like to get this cable and take the connectors from this. This might be impossibly, though, if the connectors do not unscrew for soldering access.

Jun 7, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #64 of 75
Um yeah I've had the 558s for less than 10 minutes now and I already broke down and ordered the short cable.   The regular cable is totally unwieldy.   I don't know what they where thinking with a 6.3mm plug though.     It's not like a smaller plug will sound any worse

Jun 7, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #65 of 75
  Um yeah I've had the 558s for less than 10 minutes now and I already broke down and ordered the short cable.   The regular cable is totally unwieldy.   I don't know what they where thinking with a 6.3mm plug though.     It's not like a smaller plug will sound any worse

I'm wondering if Sennheiser was trying to keep gamers from buying the lower costing HD518/HD558 by having the headphones come with the 1/4" plug.
Where as the more costly Senn gaming headsets came with the 3.5mm jack.

Jun 8, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #66 of 75

I'm wondering if Sennheiser was trying to keep gamers from buying the lower costing HD518/HD558 by having the headphones come with the 1/4" plug.
Where as the more costly Senn gaming headsets came with the 3.5mm jack.

Not sure but, it would have been nice if they just went with a 3.5mm plug and threw in a 6.3mm adapter for those who need it rather than the other way around.   I can't even get my clip and fiio e6 in my breast pocket easily.   Worst case scenario is some people would have to buy an adapter for 50 cents on monoprice.  But, instead I spent 1/4 the price of the headphones for a freaking cable.   Everything under the sun can take a 3.5mm plug I can't think of many that take a 6.3mm plug. 

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #68 of 75

Do you have a MacBook Pro that you can test on? I have the same cable and it works great on my iPhone 6, but when plugged into my MacBook Pro (15 retina) it sounds good at first (for about 0.5 seconds) then I lose the treble and it sounds muffled.

It's the oddest thing. I can't find ANYTHING about this happening in any other situation. It seems to be a software thing almost. So odd.

I think the seller is going to refund me the purchase price and take care of me, but I really like this cable and want to use it!

Apr 10, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #69 of 75
For those interested I happen to own a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M40x's and after buying a new pair of Sennheiser HD558 on sale for $104 dollars and love them was looking online for a shorter cable with a 3.5mm connection to use with my iPhone 6 plus around the house by the way the phone powers them great with great audio quality without an amp but do sound amazing with my fiio kilimanjaro2 e11k anyway I happen to disconnect the cable from the HD558 and looked very similar to my M40x's cable and happen to try those out it was a bit tight fit but not by much and they work great even lock in the headphones just fine just be gentle with them I even think they sound a little better in the low end and super happy with the coil cable I hope this helps anybody.

Jun 20, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #70 of 75
  For those interested I happen to own a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M40x's and after buying a new pair of Sennheiser HD558 on sale for $104 dollars and love them was looking online for a shorter cable with a 3.5mm connection to use with my iPhone 6 plus around the house by the way the phone powers them great with great audio quality without an amp but do sound amazing with my fiio kilimanjaro2 e11k anyway I happen to disconnect the cable from the HD558 and looked very similar to my M40x's cable and happen to try those out it was a bit tight fit but not by much and they work great even lock in the headphones just fine just be gentle with them I even think they sound a little better in the low end and super happy with the coil cable I hope this helps anybody.

Yes!
I tried the exact same thing right now and things are great. I couldn't be happier!

Aug 13, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #72 of 75

I just got this cable. So far it sounds pretty good. I got the shortest length (1.2m). Looks great and classy with my HD598.

I have listened to a few different songs and cannot notice a difference in sound quality (though maybe my ears are not that sensitive).

The only gripe I have, is that the headphone connector (the small jack) is a little stiff and hard to grab to pull out once put in, and can be a little stiff.

Photo link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bakayume/10178940575/

I just got this cable also and it looks nice and sounds OK but on the 2.5mm end it has less connectors than the original, does this matter what are we missing, should it really be a 4 connector like the stock cable?

Oct 28, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #73 of 75
Just wanted to add, they also make a cable for the Momentum on/over ears, The one above.  For the the on ears is its a major upgrade. The thickness is the same as the 518/558/598 cable.
which is a BIG plus as the stock cable is very flimsy and cheap.  I've never been a big cable believer but the Momentum version changed that, A side by side (On my Set up) it really is night and day.
The bloated Bass is now tight and punchy and every thing else is super clear.
 You can get them on Ebay from a seller named: Caiyanni88  , They ship from the US, A little more then from China but I hate waiting..  Both times I ordered from them two days to my door,
I hope this info helps?

Nov 26, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #74 of 75

Yes!
I tried the exact same thing right now and things are great. I couldn't be happier!

The cables from the audio technica m50x will also fit the sennheisser hd558.

Sorry to resurrect this thread!

I think I'm about to order a pair of 558s but I noticed that Sennheiser no longer has the short cable listed for sale on their website. If I purchased this M40X/M50X replacement cable (http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-HP-SC-Replacement-Cable-Headphones/dp/B00LIDDLPO/) would it fit the 558s without making any modifications to it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back