Sennheiser HD 448 vs 280
Oct 18, 2010 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

budullewraagh

New Head-Fier
I'm in the market for a fine pair of headphones on the order of $100 and have been considering the Sennheiser HD 280s and 448s, but haven't been able to find either in stores to take a listen.

Judging by the technical stats, the HD280s are superior: they offer a greater frequency response and more impedance, while their SPL and harmonic distortion are about the same.

However, I know those stats aren't everything. There are more vital qualities for which no numbers are given. Simply by looking at the Sennheiser website (refer to links below), it seems that the company is pushing the 448s as a superior product. Their design is more attractive, their description more in depth, and more is included in their delivery (a carrying pouch, an extension cable). These facts suggest that Sennheiser have made the intangibles better for the 448s than the 280s.

All aesthetics and bonuses aside, I'm trying to decide which pair to buy based on sound quality alone. Can anyone explain the relative advantages and disadvantages of the HD 280s and 448s? Thanks in advance for your input.

HD 448:
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_hifi_wired-headphones_502767

HD 280:
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_dj-headphones-hd-280-silver?Open&path=private_headphones_accessories

Oct 18, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 18
First off, what are you most likely going to listen to ( Genre's of music, what are you using to listen to it( MP3player, home hi-fi system?) Are you set on just those two? Where are you going to nbe listening to them( does sound leakage matter, do you need isolation?)

Oct 18, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 18
I'll be listening to a variety - hip hop, classical, jazz, bossa nova. Listening will be primarily on an MP3 player or laptop, either in public transit or libraries.

So with all that said, I do want headphones that actually clearly hit the bass I hear in modern hip hop, but overall sound quality matters (which is one of the reasons why I wouldn't touch a pair of Beats). Because I'm rarely around a ton of noise, sound leakage isn't a huge deal.

Dec 16, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #5 of 18
I joined just to bump this old thread lol.  I have the exact same question.  I listen to pretty much everything except for rap.

So rock, metal, techno/trance, classical, acoustic, whatever.  Pretty wide variety of stuff.  I'll be listening mostly on my iphone and computer when studying, long car rides, and at home. 

I'm definitely not an "audiophile", just a college student who wants better than ibuds lol.  I don't really like the headphones that go into your ear canal either.  

Dec 16, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #6 of 18

Quote:
I joined just to bump this old thread lol.  I have the exact same question.  I listen to pretty much everything except for rap.

So rock, metal, techno/trance, classical, acoustic, whatever.  Pretty wide variety of stuff.  I'll be listening mostly on my iphone and computer when studying, long car rides, and at home. 

I had these baby's for a few months*currently selling also* I gotta say I loved them, nothing beats a grado for metal/rock, but these server me pretty well. People say these have no bass are high as can be. the bass is phenomenal, if your using an ipod/phone buy a cmoy, it makes the bass presence way better. acoustic is wonder full, it dose have a veil but it gives everything a very soft feeling to it. I would suggest these for a first time head-fi'er. Also great gameing can, wide soundstage and it really gives you some bearings on the area with sound.

Dec 16, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #7 of 18
The HD448 are all that and a bag of chips, but isolation is not really suitable for buses and such, and bass impact below 100 Hz is soft, although they do go deep.

Dec 16, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #8 of 18
yep, great entry level audiophile cans I think.

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #9 of 18
So, no one really knows how the 448 and 280 perform against each other? 
confused_face_2.gif

Jun 17, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #10 of 18
Someone reply to this. HD448 or HD280pro?
I heard HD448 is the "best Senn's under 100$", but what about HD280pro? IMHO, If they are in the same sound quality level, I would prior to 280pro because of its bass.
Researching about Shure SRH550DJ in the same price range. Someone? :)

Jul 16, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #11 of 18

Aramis, have you tried them both? 
Quote:

IMHO, If they are in the same sound quality level, I would prior to 280pro because of its bass.

How do they compare as far as comfort level goes? I've heard the HD 280 pro's have a powerful vise grip. I wonder if the HD 448 are much more comfortable. If so, then a similar sound quality level plus comfort would place the HD 448 as the clear winner.

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #12 of 18
Do yourself a favor..
Save some money and get a real headphone..

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #13 of 18
Optimus,

Quote:
Do yourself a favor..
Save some money and get a real headphone..

To whom did you write the above message? I regard my HD 580s as very realistic, but I need some closed cans to use at work. The HD 448 seem atractive, but they are nowhere to be found down here. OTOH, the HD 280 Pro's are relatively easy to find, and so are the Shure Srh 840's. To get the HD 448's I'd have to import them myself, and pay shipping plus import taxes.

I see you own the HD 448. Do you not regard them as "real headphones"? Are you disappointed with your acquisition? 

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #14 of 18
I was reffering to OP as an advice...
Do not get HD 448.
I've made the mistake of bying them without spending too much time searching head.fi and i was very dissapointed .
Very limited cans without bass and certainly not good isolation..
They don't respond good to amping,distorts on higher volume and certainly  won't make you love them..
What kind of music are you listening to?

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
Do not get HD 448.
I've made the mistake of bying them without spending too much time searching head.fi and i was very dissapointed .
Very limited cans without bass and certainly not good isolation..
They don't respond good to amping,distorts on higher volume and certainly  won't make you love them..
What kind of music are you listening to?

I see. I guess isolation might depend too much on the awful vise grip. They don't respond well to amping? I suppose that might have something to do with their low impedance. These cans were designed to work well with iPods, so engineers may not have had amps in mind. I suppose the HD 280 Pro's might be better, then. But their uncomfortable vise grip is legendary. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back