Sennheiser HD 448 or Grado SR80i or anything else?????
Mar 18, 2011 at 7:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

WasMan

Head-Fier

Hi, I'm new to this forum and I was looking for some advice on buying headphones

I am considering getting headphones that are below $100 for use at home and work. Looking for something that has an awesome sound quality and bass, with more emphasis on the bass. Comfort isn't much of a factor, as i used a pair of Sony MDR-V200s which were the most uncomfortable things ever, but will be appreciated.I won't be using an amplifier on the headphones.

I came across the Sennheiser HD 448 and Grado SR80i which seemed impressive according to reviews. Should I go for any one those two or are there any other suggestions?

Thanx in advance

Mar 18, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #2 of 10
Hello Wasman - welcome!

I'm new myself, so my experience is very limited. However, I do own the 448s - and while they do have very good sound in the midrange and highs I've found the bass lacking - which is why I just ordered the ATH M50 after looking at this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/wiki/buying-guide-headphones-by-price-range

I thought a lot about the SR80i (and, in fact, it's still sitting in my virtual shopping cart "to buy later"), but in the end the amount of sound that leaked out scared me off.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. The ATH M50 can be found for around $120 US - which is just above your price range. Now I'll just stand aside for the more knowledgeable!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #3 of 10
I also heard a lot of good things about the M50 and i am considering buying that even if it means tweaking my budget a little.

Regarding the Grados, how much sound leakage are we talking? If it doesn't affect the sound that im listening to then im ok with it.I really don't give a damn about people hearing what im listening to,especially Run D.M.C
atsmile.gif

Also does that mean i shud write off the Senns? They r a bit more xpensive than the Grados and with a flat bass and flimsy cable,they seem like a shaky investment,but I'm a die hard Sennheiser fan and i can't just write em off easily.

Mar 18, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #5 of 10
The amount of sound that leaks OUT of Grados is much less than the sound that leaks IN. If you listen to them at normal levels or below...it's hard for a person to hear them from as close as 6-8 feet away IMO.

Mar 18, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #6 of 10
Go for hd438 if you want bass, its valour pad also a plus too.
Another suggestion from me is the sony zx700.

Mar 18, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #7 of 10
I used Sonys before and IMO that they are good( except the Vxxxs), i just wanna try sumthing different this time.

The question might seem weird, but can some1 please explain how the Grados will actually sound without an amp? Some reviewers says that it will sound flat, in others it says it has a decent bass. I'm hearing a lot about the legendary sound quality of Grado phones so i don't wanna pass it.Plus i love the price too and the fact that it can be heavily modded.Besides anything will sound good after using a lousy pair of headphones.

Apr 27, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #9 of 10
The HD448 bass is laughable. I returned mine immediately after burn-in. The pads feel cheap also. You can find better at the price point. I'd hate to recommend a pair that I feel is kind of overrated, but the M50 may be best for you.

Apr 27, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #10 of 10
SRH440?
Just throwing it out there.

There may be some other good stuff according to this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back