Sennheiser HD 380 Pro (rather large photos inside)
Oct 20, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #106 of 124
Thanks for digging up this old post - some of duggeh's posts in this thread are pure gold. Anyone who is willing to confront the Senn mafia on Head-Fi gets my vote - he nominated a couple of lesser Senn models as being reasonable headphones, and I would add the HD238 to that list, but their mid-range is a wasteland. The RRP on the HD5* series here in Oz is laughable, particularly when anything below the HD600 is eclipsed by the sound quality of a pair of $150 MS1s.

Nov 19, 2009 at 12:26 AM Post #107 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by yklee118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is before I had the cable changed out with something from Moon Audio.

Kabelklang...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #108 of 124
As a big Sennheiser fan I'd just like to say that these things are the epitome of ugly.

Which genius decided that having the logo oriented vertically would be a good idea? For a brand new design this is just plain bad.

Dec 21, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #109 of 124
Dec 21, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #110 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much sound do they leak? If I am sitting on a couch in a quiet room, would the person next to me be able to hear anything?

Thanks

(Presently searching for closed backed cans that leak no sound http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sug...-sound-461481/ )

These don't leak at all, not a bit, I use them on the train all time a.d even blasting the person in the next seat can't hear them. Still using them every day and theyhave held up very well.

Dec 21, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #111 of 124
Thanks for that memphiskat.

Dec 27, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #112 of 124
After one month I really like my Sennheiser HD380 headphone which I brought at Guitar City. At first the HD380 sounds like no other Sennheiser headphones I ever owned. It was kind of quiet with very little soundstage at first. The first thing I noticed was the upper bass and lower midrange was the cleanest I ever heard, not muddy or bloated in this region. This sound region beats everything I have heard and that’s includes the four AKG headphones, the Beyerdynamic 881 headphone I owned. It has been a long time for me to hear the clearer lower midrange and it surprised me at first, great with lower pitch vocals. The headband had quite a bit of clamping force but it became more conformable after time which was another surprise. After one month the soundstage opened up and the soundstage became more realistic when I paired the headphone with my Little Dot 1+ hybrid headphone tube amplifier with the 408A tubes on my computer setup. I listen mostly with big classical works and vocal music. One area that the HD380 falls a bit short is the middle treble which is a bit harsh as compared to my Stax SR-5 on my main rig. The quality is good with a metal headband and the hinge does not creak like some other Sennheiser headphones like the 500 series. The coil cable is a bit on the heavy side and pulling and I found ways to overcome that. This headphone is a keeper. I put my remaining 15 year old AKG250 studio 600 ohms headphone to the trash.

Dec 28, 2009 at 3:17 AM Post #113 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by john57 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The coil cable is a bit on the heavy side and pulling and I found ways to overcome that. This headphone is a keeper. I put my remaining 15 year old AKG250 studio 600 ohms headphone to the trash.

I too am not a huge fan of the cable. Has anyone found a replacement cable for these? I'm thinking striaght and therefore lighter. The jack on the headphone is a right angle custom job so it fits flush with the curved bottom of earphone cup.

Jan 25, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #115 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually I rather like the HD600 and HD650, and the HE60 is one of the best headphones I've heard and I like it greatly. The PX100 are a bloody marvelous pair of headphones for the money and the old MX500 were a pretty decent set of earbuds too. The HD-414 classic is arguably one of the best vintage dynamic headphones that exists and it faces up very well even to offerings in todays market although it needs some pretty hefty amplification to wake it up.

But I do think that the HD555 is rubbish and I think the HD280 is worse and so a headphone which brings together design elements from both of them is doomed in my book.

I made it clear that my post was speculative and the language of it should have conveyed at least a fraction of the humourously exasperated, not vehemantly condemnational attitude I have for the product.

Your sarcasm isnt as good as my rant.

Welcome to the internet.

although these headphones CLEARLY aren't good enough for the devine eardrums dugguh has UNDOUBTEDLY been gifted with, they seem to be a solid buy. from what i've seen in forums and reviews across the internet, you'll be hard-pressed to find a better quality, more balanced headphone for the price. i just ordered a pair and can't wait to experience them.

to anyone who has read dugguhs unguided rants: while he claims to be too good for the headphone, he isn't too good to waste his precious time commenting on multiple 380 Pro topics. without even hearing their musical qualities with his own ears, he's been picking a fight with anyone who dares challenge his unparalleled knowledge

my advice to him- spend a little less time behind your computer screen and welcome yourself into the REAL world... no one else can

Feb 8, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #116 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterSicherlich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey guys, i have a question for you.
SO, i would buy a Sennheiser HD 380 Pro, or a Sennheiser 350 Professional Gaming or a Beyerdynamic 770Pro. But I have reas in aThread that the HD380 is better then the BD 770Pro. And I have read, that the Sennheiser 350 is crap, so should I buy the 380?

I like, and I want it for:
- Bass
- Movies
- Music, I ofen lisen to House, and Music with much Bass.

If I should buy the 380 what mic shoult I buy?

I own the the hd-380's and have heard both the 350 and 770 several times.

I found the 350's quite bad for music, speech and movies (I had these at work for about 5 months). They are optimised for gaming and have an unnatrualy elevated mid range, although this helps you to hear the position of things when gaming.

The d770 don't seem to have the same bass extension as the 380. And for me they sound a little too metalic/harsh in the upper mids/lower highs. Almost like a ringing. The sound is also very direct, with not a lot of soundstage, as far as i remember. I know a very skilled studio engineer that says he can mix with these. So a great forensic tool it would seem, but not the headphone for me
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm very happy with my hd-380's. They have a lovely and deep bass extention, that I think works great with electronic music.

Hope this is helpfull

Feb 11, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #117 of 124
I have a bluetacked HD-280, from reading this thread I'm guessing it won't be much of an upgrade to get a HD-380 and bluetack that.

Also, I have to say the HD-280 is just awesome in particular for dnb music. With the closed/headclamping/pumping bass properties of the HD-280, I can't imagine anything can be better.

edit: oh and stop breaking your headphones, guys. I had mine since '07 and the worst that happened was that I eventually had to step the notches down after a year.

Mar 14, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #118 of 124
Hey all, I am very new about posting here, this is my first. But I have been reading your posts with envious delight. As I am now finding the means to afford decent consumer goods, I have decided to make the HD 380 my first quality set of headphones, primarily for movies and secondarily for music. I opted for the closed phones, because of using them at work and on airplanes.

I already placed an order for the headphones in anticipation of replacing the coiled wire that comes with it. While I don't consider the cord to be a design flaw, I figure the weight imbalance and sheer stretching to extend it while listening may be a comfort issue. Has anyone replaced their coiled cable with a straight cable? If so, what did you do? Much thanks!
- J

Jun 5, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #119 of 124
Because of changes in space and sound volume constraints, I am finally back to head gears since I sold my STAX SRS-4040 signature system 3 years ago (and sold my HD600 w/Cardas cable and EarMax Pro combo about 4-5 years ago), I was looking for something closed, sounds neutral and better be truthful to the source, no longer looking for fancy sound reporduction.

Thanks to this thread, I bought my 380 today. May be I have been away from head gears for so long, it is very much what I was looking and is within my current budget.

I am driving it directly by my Apogee Mini-DAC, feed by the AES output of my RME HDSP 9632.

The only thing that I will complain is when there is a bit of leak or the wearing position moved away from the sweet spot, the quality deteriorate a great deal, other than that, it would be the coil cable, a bit heavy but still can manage.

Jun 5, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #120 of 124
I think the pads are dreadfully uncomfortable.  Shame because in terms of size and weight, they are divine.  Everything I wanted.  But would have liked a much softer velore and a much nicer bass experience.  If they had that, they would be incredible

Users who are viewing this thread

Back