Sennheiser HD 380 Pro (rather large photos inside)
Apr 21, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #92 of 124
More information about the HD380 is in this thread.

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #93 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by hernejj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll paste an Amazon review that I wrote containing everything I currently know about these:

I got a chance to hear these as a local Guitar center and they sound awesome! I WAS headed in to buy the Sennheiser HD 280's (Pro) until I heard these. The 380's completely blow the 280's away. There is JUST no comparison.

The Bass response is amazing for closed ear headphones. This is quite rare from what I understand.

You can hear all the detail in the highs and mid-ranges and everything sounds crystal clear. Close your eyes and you might think you're sitting in a concert hall.

Since Sennheiser still does not have anything about these headphones on their web page I e-mailed them for info and got the following:

Product Features
Collapsible high-end headphone for professional monitoring use
Highly advanced features for superior sound-monitoring- Extended frequency
response for accurate, reliable sound reproduction- Increased sound
pressure level (110dB) to handle demanding use
Closed circumaural design for excellent passive attenuation of ambient
noise (up to 32dB)
Exceptional comfort for extended listening
Carrying case included for engineers on the go
Replaceable single-sided, coiled cable with 3.5mm jack connector and screw
type adapter to ¼"
Easily replaceable parts for long service life
Headphone with detachable coiled cable, Carrying case, ¼" jack adapter

Technical Data
Connector 3.5 mm plug, straight (separate ¼" jack adapter included)
Cable length 1m coiled, extendable up to 3m
Frequency response 8 - 27,000 Hz
Weight 220 g (excluding cable)
THD < 0.1 % (1kHz, 100dB SPL)
Impedance 54 Ohm
Transducer principle Dynamic
Sound pressure level 110 dB (1kHz, 1Vrms)

I can only find 2 places that sell these headphones right now. Musicians Friend (and thus, Amazon) and Guitar center.

Oh and another thing, the sound isolation these things provide is SECOND To NONE (Except maybe the 280's)! Even with the volume extremely low I could not hear people talking who were standing 3 feet away from me! I was listening to Guns N Roses when one of the sales guys fired up a Bose system in the same room... it was so loud that (without the 380's on my head) I couldn't hear people talking but with the 380's on I barely heard the music coming from the Bose system.

These are totally worth $200!!!! And I'm not even a hardcore audio guy. If you don't believe me just demo these things are your nearest Guitar Center! Take your current headphones with you so you can compare them.

darthsmile.gif

It would seem that many would bash the Sennheiser HD280-professional as the worst headphone in the world and compare them to other headphones in the same price range. Not to sound like a prude, but I rather like the sound signature of the HD280 Professional (now and not in the past). Clarity, bass punch, and sound-stage representation is excellent in the HD280 professional. The only thing I can truly hate about this model is the build quality. It is absolutely terrible and the same can be said with the HD380-professional.

The build quality of the latest closed headphone offering from Sennheiser can be best described as flimsy. Much of it reminds me of the HD500 fusion in terms of the headband and ear cups. The clamping force is pretty on par with most of Sennheiser's full-size headphones. The leather like ear cushions are very comfortable however after about an hour of use, they can either stick or create a rather sweaty situation. The sound quality out of the box is rather impressive. Excellent bass extension, followed by very clean treble and mid-range transitions. The sound-stage is very expansive with virtually no veil in the sonic character. I will most likely pair this headphone with one of the many portable (chinese made since I am Chinese by blood) headphone amplifiers to see whether I can actually improve the first impressions, second stage listening, and third stage settling period (more than 1000-hours accumulated).

On a rather positive note, these headphones are surprisingly light and come with a carrying case that was previously not available with the HD280-professional. I don't mind the coiled cable however, the cable feels more substantial than the headphone itself. That is basically saying that Sennheiser needs to change the building of these headphones a bit in order for some of us Headphone Audiophiles to truly love the products made by a respectable company such as Sennheiser.

This is just my observation and not a true opinion.

More impressions to come in intervals of 30-hours, 150-hours, 300-hours, 600-hours, and the final crossing of 1000-hours. If these headphones take as much time as the Sennheiser HD280-pro to reach full driver settling, then it will take many more hours to prove whether or not these cans are really worth the arm and leg (in this dire economy) that they are charging

Aug 2, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #94 of 124
I've been using these for some time now. I have no idea how many hours I have on them but I've used them every day for a year or so (don't remember when exactly I purchased them). As for their construction, I have had no problems at all. I use them at home, on my 1hour (each way) commute and at work. They go in and out of the carrying case many times a day and are banged around pretty good in my backpack inside their case and appear no worse for the wear. I would prefer a straight cable and may try to make my own, but Sennheiser really should make that an option.

I feel their sound quality is very good. I used a software audio signal generator to test their response in the bass and they produce strong bass down to 20hz. In use I find them to have plenty of strong, clear, accurate bass. I listen to a lot of live Grateful Dead and when Phil Lesh is well represented in the mix you know it! When he's too low you know it too. I think any perceived lack of bass in these (and the 280's which I used to have) can be chalked up to their lack of boosted bass which many people are accustomed to. I also don't hear any "veil" in the high frequencies. Their highs sound good to me. I should note that using the same audio test software shows that I have little to no hearing above 13khz. I recently celebrated the 1st aniversary of my 39th birthday and so that's not uncommon, but it's only far to disclose this (the 13khz, not my age :)

Most of this I've said here before, but now that I've used them for a while, I thought I'd confirm that my opinion hasn't changed with use and speak to their durability.

Karl

Aug 6, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #95 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by memphiskat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are very comfortable. Although I'd like try to find some velour replacement pads for when it gets hot out, anyone know what will fit?

I replaced my PC 350 pleather pads with the velour pads from my HD 555 and they fit perfectly. From what I can tell, the HD 380 and PC 350 have the exact same casing, so they should work for you too. If you call Sennheiser directly, they have the pads available at $16 a pair. I'm much happier with the comfort of the velour pads, but be aware that it recedes the soundstage quite a bit and reduces the isolation considerably. It's a trade-off that I found worth it in this hot California weather.

Aug 18, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #96 of 124
I have to say I am very impressed with the latest closed headphone offering from Sennheiser. The HD380-Professional is one hell of a headphone. My initial impression with the build quality has changed from being flimsy to very functional and well built. There is an integrated metal band within the headband itself along with the metal support adjustment bands making this one hell of designed and quality constructed headphone.

I give very high marks to the fit and finish of the HD380. The initial 10-hours were just good in terms of overall sonic character. The bass frequencies are deep and present with the mid range being very neutral while the upper frequencies are much clearer than with the Sennheiser HD280-professional (when it was new).
darthsmile.gif
I was already taken back to the way the HD380's sound presented itself. The soundstage has a very much three-dimensional feel about it with no hint of being presented artificially. Some of the sonic characteristics can be linked somewhat with the HD280 and HD650, however the warmth and tonal qualities are readily apparent after passing the 10-hour mark.

When I approached the 30-hour phase, something rather interesting occurred. The sound-stage opened up bit. More details began presenting itself with an increase in overall bass, mid-range, and treble frequencies. The bass notes are tight and deep, while the mid-range was smoother along with the upper frequencies. There were virtually no peaks in the treble range.

Just to give the members of the forum an idea, The HD380 is connected to my Little Dot MKI with the LT1364 op-amp upgrade and the interconnect is by Moon Audio "Blue Dragon" Version-1 (with the silver conductors vs. V2 with copper). The source is from the Shanling CD-transport through a DAC and the Hovland H100 pre-amp. The music is from "The Essential James Bond by John Barry" HDCD.

After the 60-hour mark, the bass to mid to high frequencies integrate with each other ever so smoothly. The sound-stage is further extended to provide the listener with the feeling of being tenth row center stage. The dynamics are just excellent with virtually no distortion what so ever. I think this is a major improvement over the older Sennheiser HD280-professional. The 280 is still an excellent headphone however it has a very long settling period before it reaches that stage where the sound is absolutely fantastic. This is based on my observations rather than pure theory.

Once I reach the 120-hour mark, I will post my listening observations as well. For now, I hope this helps those who are looking for a clean and unbiased review of these rather awesome headphones.

Take care everybody and as always, have a great week.
happy_face1.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #99 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1000fps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In HD 380 Pro plastic fastening to a plastic ear... They strong?

I'm afraid no one can really understand your questions.

Sep 22, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #100 of 124
For all those who like Sennheiser HD380 Pro, I highly recommend giving Shure SRH840 a try, which sounds much better in almost every way for a similar price IMO. HD380 sounds dry and analytical, has a very strange frequency response and has a rather unbalanced soundstage with way too much width compared to depth. SRH840 sounds smoother, more dynamic and much more tonally balanced IMO, with a deeper, more involving soundstage.

Sep 22, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #101 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1000fps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In HD 380 Pro plastic fastening to a plastic ear... They strong?

You mean the headband? Well, it's all plastic, while some other headphones in the same price range or even less expensive ones also use some metal in the headband to make it more durable. HD380 Pro plastic seems for pretty good quality though, so I wouldn't worry.

Sep 23, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #102 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by genpatton7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm afraid no one can really understand your questions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean the headband? Well, it's all plastic, while some other headphones in the same price range or even less expensive ones also use some metal in the headband to make it more durable. HD380 Pro plastic seems for pretty good quality though, so I wouldn't worry.

I meaned that the design of this headphones consist a lot of plastic. And they can to crash very fast. Yeah, especially in the connection with the headband (didn't know this term ^^) But i think that developers provided it, because we will be often to put 380's in the handbag, but i'm really not confident))

Oct 6, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #104 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif

yklee118 writes above:

"There is an integrated metal band within the headband itself along with the metal support adjustment bands making this one hell of designed and quality constructed headphone."

Oct 20, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #105 of 124
hey guys, i have a question for you.
SO, i would buy a Sennheiser HD 380 Pro, or a Sennheiser 350 Professional Gaming or a Beyerdynamic 770Pro. But I have reas in aThread that the HD380 is better then the BD 770Pro. And I have read, that the Sennheiser 350 is crap, so should I buy the 380?

I like, and I want it for:
- Bass
- Movies
- Music, I ofen lisen to House, and Music with much Bass.

If I should buy the 380 what mic shoult I buy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back