Sennheiser HD 380 Pro (rather large photos inside)
Feb 12, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #76 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
10 miles away under a layer of cement, through the fog, while someone is bear hugging your skull.

I'd take the 280s over a skull bearhug. There's a very good chance the 280s would crack and break quicker than someone would stop hugging my skull. It's extremely huggable.

Feb 12, 2009 at 3:09 AM Post #77 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by miggs78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Give us a hint of how they are at least, I am getting a killer deal on them.. Just can't find a review..
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok, I was gonna take some pics to show what I don't like about the cord, but.... For SQ they are to my ears are very neutral. I don't have a large collection to compare them to but I have owned a lot of different phones including the Sony 7506, Senn HD280, Senn 490II, and some IEMs. Both the Senn 280 and 7506s I found to be very revealing of source material. The 380s follow suit. I am using them either directly out of my MacBook or out of my M-Audio Fasttrack Pro (USB from Macbook). I am right now using them to "master" some live to two track recordings (specifically GOv't Mule audience recordings) that I made back in '99. They are very helpfull in making exact edits/splices. I am also using them to EQ the recordings which all have different frequency responses due to different recording positions in different rooms. I find the EQing I'm doing with the 380s is translating very well to multiple playback systems including- JMlab full range speakers, JMlabs supplemented with a sub, JMlabs rolled off with a sub, car system, a differnt midfi home system, and other headphones. The bass on these types of recordings can be very difficult to get right and these 380s are working very well at revealing exactly whats on the master DATs.

Overall I find them very balanced in the bass and the highs. I don't hear the Sennheiser viel that some refer to. The highs on these are very articulate and yet not shrill at all. I can hear every adjustment I make in the high end no matter how subtle. They will not be forgiving of bad/older recordings. Tape hiss with will not be attenuated in the least.

Cable: well here's something I'm not thrilled about. While it is detachable, the end that goes into the left phone is a molded right plug that
fits into the bottom of the cup. While it is replaceable I don't think a standard right angle plug will fit. However, the molded piece does fit into a track of sorts so I don't think any pulling on the cable with damage the jack connection. My real problem is I dont like the coiled cable. First, it barely fits into the carrying case. Second, it is rather heavy hanging off the side on the phones. I will have to try to fit a straight cable replacement.

Comfort wise they are fine for me. They completely cover my ears and the pleather is fine. They will be hot in the summer though. They seal very well without clamping too hard. They block outside sound very well just like the the 280s and don't leak at all.

Build quality seems good. I have been using them at home, on my commute, and at work. They have gone in and out of the case a lot and they seem like they will hold up. But so did the 280s I had, and before my dog eat them, the head band did wear rather quickly. Time will tell.

I needed a closed set of cans that isolate well, reproduce a flat response, and can play well without an amp. The 380s fullfill that need very well. I do look forward to seeing how these will perform with a nice amp.
I am to this point very pleased with them. If things come up that change that impression I will post about it. I have not subjected them to a formal burn in period, so if they change over time I'll post about it.

Did I forget anything? For their designed purpose I would highly recommend them.

Karl

Feb 12, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #78 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The soundstage leaves a lot to be desired. I'll leave it at that.

I also get a kick out of reading what you wrote. You say that they sound better with time, and I just couldn't help but think to myself: "So, they will start to sound their best when they start to break apart the most".
biggrin.gif

I think the build quality of the HD650 is considerably better than the HD280pro. They are not defective by design. The worst I have had happen is the headband paint is starting to chip from constant contact. Whereas the HD280pro headband just snaps apart.............. big difference.

That is not what I have experienced. Paint didn't chip off. The headband is made of plastic, while the only metal parts are located where the earcups are suspended and the earcup grills. The headband itself is PVC plastic. I received a replacement directly from Sennheiser and they have stated that they received the most number of complaints in regards to either the paint chipping off to a literal snapping of the band itself.

The replacement is not installed, however I did manage to repair the broken headband with a metal sleeve inserted and bonded with epoxy. This DIY repair unfortunately restricts the level of adjustment just a little bit, however not enough for my big head, so all is well.

As stated before, everyone is entitle to his or her opinion, however I must say I have had many headphones ranging from low, mid, to high-end. I have placed an order for the Sennheiser HD800 to complement my already large collection of headphones and amplifiers. The audio fidelity of the HD280 is neutral with a bit of darkness to it. That is before I had the cable changed out with something from Moon Audio. I am using a custom Cardas Audio mod for the Sennheiser HD280. The sound is much better and a little bit more open than say the Audio Technica W1000 that I have off loaded recently.

That is my opinion though. Take care everybody.
k701smile.gif

Feb 12, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #79 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by memphiskat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, I was gonna take some pics to show what I don't like about the cord, but.... For SQ they are to my ears are very neutral. I don't have a large collection to compare them to but I have owned a lot of different phones including the Sony 7506, Senn HD280, Senn 490II, and some IEMs. Both the Senn 280 and 7506s I found to be very revealing of source material. The 380s follow suit. I am using them either directly out of my MacBook or out of my M-Audio Fasttrack Pro (USB from Macbook). I am right now using them to "master" some live to two track recordings (specifically GOv't Mule audience recordings) that I made back in '99. They are very helpfull in making exact edits/splices. I am also using them to EQ the recordings which all have different frequency responses due to different recording positions in different rooms. I find the EQing I'm doing with the 380s is translating very well to multiple playback systems including- JMlab full range speakers, JMlabs supplemented with a sub, JMlabs rolled off with a sub, car system, a differnt midfi home system, and other headphones. The bass on these types of recordings can be very difficult to get right and these 380s are working very well at revealing exactly whats on the master DATs.

Overall I find them very balanced in the bass and the highs. I don't hear the Sennheiser viel that some refer to. The highs on these are very articulate and yet not shrill at all. I can hear every adjustment I make in the high end no matter how subtle. They will not be forgiving of bad/older recordings. Tape hiss with will not be attenuated in the least.

Cable: well here's something I'm not thrilled about. While it is detachable, the end that goes into the left phone is a molded right plug that
fits into the bottom of the cup. While it is replaceable I don't think a standard right angle plug will fit. However, the molded piece does fit into a track of sorts so I don't think any pulling on the cable with damage the jack connection. My real problem is I dont like the coiled cable. First, it barely fits into the carrying case. Second, it is rather heavy hanging off the side on the phones. I will have to try to fit a straight cable replacement.

Comfort wise they are fine for me. They completely cover my ears and the pleather is fine. They will be hot in the summer though. They seal very well without clamping too hard. They block outside sound very well just like the the 280s and don't leak at all.

Build quality seems good. I have been using them at home, on my commute, and at work. They have gone in and out of the case a lot and they seem like they will hold up. But so did the 280s I had, and before my dog eat them, the head band did wear rather quickly. Time will tell.

I needed a closed set of cans that isolate well, reproduce a flat response, and can play well without an amp. The 380s fullfill that need very well. I do look forward to seeing how these will perform with a nice amp.
I am to this point very pleased with them. If things come up that change that impression I will post about it. I have not subjected them to a formal burn in period, so if they change over time I'll post about it.

Did I forget anything? For their designed purpose I would highly recommend them.

Karl

Nice Thanks alot.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #80 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by yklee118 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is not what I have experienced. Paint didn't chip off. The headband is made of plastic, while the only metal parts are located where the earcups are suspended and the earcup grills. The headband itself is PVC plastic. I received a replacement directly from Sennheiser and they have stated that they received the most number of complaints in regards to either the paint chipping off to a literal snapping of the band itself.

The replacement is not installed, however I did manage to repair the broken headband with a metal sleeve inserted and bonded with epoxy. This DIY repair unfortunately restricts the level of adjustment just a little bit, however not enough for my big head, so all is well.

As stated before, everyone is entitle to his or her opinion, however I must say I have had many headphones ranging from low, mid, to high-end. I have placed an order for the Sennheiser HD800 to complement my already large collection of headphones and amplifiers. The audio fidelity of the HD280 is neutral with a bit of darkness to it. That is before I had the cable changed out with something from Moon Audio. I am using a custom Cardas Audio mod for the Sennheiser HD280. The sound is much better and a little bit more open than say the Audio Technica W1000 that I have off loaded recently.

That is my opinion though. Take care everybody.
k701smile.gif

HA! You neglected to say your headphones were not stock in the previous post. That could do it.

Feb 12, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #81 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll have to give initial audio impressions later, as I haven't even put my ears to this once yet.

Have you had a good listen to the 380 Pro yet Jude?

What do you think?

I have not heard these myself yet, but am trying to get hold of a pair.

Mar 16, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #83 of 124
Still nothing? Is it that bad?
I need a pair of closed cans and would like the 380 because it looks as comfortable as the 595 I got used to, but I really need a proper review before I buy them because I can only order them from the local reseller which brings it in 30 days, so I can't just change my mind afterwards.
I'm also considering the ATH-M50 but these need a burn-in time so listening to them out of the box would not say much to me, and besides, they don't look as comfortable.

Mar 16, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #84 of 124
Howdy-
I have been using the HD380s for over a month now on a daily basis and like them a lot. I have been using them to edit/master some of my own recordings and they sound great. Clear highs and very accurate lows. I have also been using them for pleasure listening and again in this use find them fantastic. They are very comfortable. Although I'd like try to find some velour replacement pads for when it gets hot out, anyone know what will fit? The response is just as I like it, neutral. They respond very well to eq adjustments, but only when the SOURCE needs it. They isolate very well for my commute on the train. For those seeking a closed back full range, flat response, headphone I highly recommend the Sennheiser HD380s. Keep in mind I also like the HD280s, so if you hate those or believe the negative criticism they seem to get here, then don't bother with these. Of course if you do fall into that camp you're probably not reading this anyway :) If anyone has any specific questions about these, ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Karl

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #85 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by memphiskat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Howdy-
I have been using the HD380s for over a month now on a daily basis and like them a lot. I have been using them to edit/master some of my own recordings and they sound great. Clear highs and very accurate lows. I have also been using them for pleasure listening and again in this use find them fantastic. They are very comfortable. Although I'd like try to find some velour replacement pads for when it gets hot out, anyone know what will fit? The response is just as I like it, neutral. They respond very well to eq adjustments, but only when the SOURCE needs it. They isolate very well for my commute on the train. For those seeking a closed back full range, flat response, headphone I highly recommend the Sennheiser HD380s. Keep in mind I also like the HD280s, so if you hate those or believe the negative criticism they seem to get here, then don't bother with these. Of course if you do fall into that camp you're probably not reading this anyway :) If anyone has any specific questions about these, ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Karl

Can you please explain the differences between the HD280 and the HD380?

thanks
L3000.gif

Mar 16, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #87 of 124
Unfortunately, I no longer have the 280s.
My dog loved them too
angry_face.gif

Certainly the design is different. The 380s appear identical to the PXC350s.
The 380s have a detachable/user replaceable cable. The ear cups fold 90degrees to make the phones flat to fit in there supplied case. This is nice for commuting as they take up less space and it provides protection when not in use. The headband was an issue (it would break) for some on the 280 and this doesn't seem to be a problem with these.

As for sound quality I hesitate to try to compare them because I don't have the 280s anymore. If I had to guess I'd say these have slightly flatter and more extended bass. That translates into more bass, but I'd say it's possibly just a little less rolled off.

I just compared the 380s response to the response of my JMLab towers and they faired very well. The JMLabs are flat to @40Hz but then roll off quickly. The 380s bass was very similar to the JMLabs to it's roll off point, but then the 380s went deeper.

Wish I still had the 280s to do a direct comparison, but it's nearly impossible without them as auditory memory is notoriously inacurate.

Hope I was able to help. Karl

Mar 21, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #89 of 124
Shortest 280pro to 380pro comparison ever:

280pro: thin, muffled, dull.
380pro: a little less thin, a little less muffled, still dull.

The 380pro sounds a bit like the PX200 to me, which is damning with nonexistent praise. The 280pro sounds worse. I prefer my decade-old beater pair of Audio Technica M30s to all of them.
frown.gif

Mar 23, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #90 of 124
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinglehoser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shortest 280pro to 380pro comparison ever:

280pro: thin, muffled, dull.
380pro: a little less thin, a little less muffled, still dull.

The 380pro sounds a bit like the PX200 to me, which is damning with nonexistent praise. The 280pro sounds worse. I prefer my decade-old beater pair of Audio Technica M30s to all of them.
frown.gif

Glad to see the lack of interest is not without justification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back