Sennheiser HD 25 - II
Aug 20, 2012 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

tennisfreak

New Head-Fier
3 years ago, I joined the forums to ask professional opinion about IEM and going 2 years with the same set. Now I come to you again for advise. 

I have been reading extensively on the HD 25 on the forums and have noticed that everyone raves about them. I listen to a lot of progressive house, dance, techno, trance etc. Reading close to about 10-15 thread about the HD 25 I notice that they would be good for my genre/s of music.

Is this the smart choice? I do have an open budget but would not like to spend over $350. 

I will be playing my music through my iPod etc would you also suggest getting something to improve the sound?

Much appreciated as always! 
L3000.gif

Aug 21, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #4 of 10
All the genres you list are bass-heavy and don't require a ton of voicing and what-not.  I don't think the HD25's are your best bet, they are better suited for rock and metal as their primary genres.  They can do the genres you list, but you might find yourself unsatisfied with the bass performance on some of that music.

You might be better served by the M-80's as suggested, or Beyerdynamic DT1350's.  There are other "bass-head" headphones out there too that might serve you well.  Thinks like the...  PRO700MK2 I think it's called, or even the M-Audio Q40's (though do yourself a favour and pick up an iBasso D-Zero amp to drive them, really brings them to life and only $110).  There's others too but they're not coming to mind.

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #5 of 10
I think most comparisons say the DT1350 is not as bassy as the other two, but it is still a very nice headphone. There's a M100 (upgraded M80) coming out in the next month or two, so that may be worth taking a look at.

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #6 of 10
Interesting...

Ill have to look more into those headphones. You say the M100 are coming out in a month or so, what is the difference between the M80 and the M100?

@Mutnat would you suggest getting the iBasso D-Zero amp no matter what headphones I am getting?

What do you think of the Audio-Technica ATH-M50?

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:48 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
No, not necessarily. For example, the D-Zero does not sound good with the HD25 or my Shure SRH440's. They both sound better with my JDS Labs C421. The D-Zero and the Q40 pair very well in my opinion. So it does depends what headphones you pick.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ok, I understand. When it comes time to when I actually purchase the right set of headphones, i need to see which amp would work best with them. Thanks!
Quote:
Since it hasn't been released yet, I can't describe the difference soundwise. However, the M100 will be an over-ear version of the on-ear M80. 

Been reading a lot of info on the M100 and the relation to the M80. I am interested, however I am not sure the isolation is what I am looking for. I travel a lot so good isolation is needed to drown out the stupid engine noises. I have IEM's to use however they hurt my ears after a while. 

What do you think of the Audio-Technica ATH-M50?

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #10 of 10
Definitely go with the HD25 or DT1350 if you want isolation. The M50 is a solid choice as well.

The QC15 are worth looking into. They're a bit expensive, but offer comfort and noise cancelling in return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back