Sennheiser HD-25 II new, very shrill?
Sep 26, 2011 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

iceshark

100+ Head-Fier
I have had my Sennheiser HD-25 II's for about 2 weeks now. I do not do any extended burn-in aside from daily listening.

However, as I was doing a very thorough comparison of them and my Shure 750dj's, I noticed how shrill the highs were on vocals. When a singer would pronounce certain words, like a "t" or "s" its sounds overly harsh. Like "st" is "stands," or "t" in "take." I'm not sure whether it has sounded like this from the beginning, but after noticing it a couple of days ago I can't stop noticing it.

Does this mean the drivers have been/were damaged? I do not recall damaging them. Do any other owners notice this shrillness on the pronunciation of those words?

Sep 26, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 27
that's normal for the hd25, we call it sibilance, a hisssss like sound when a sssssinger ssssings like a sccnnake

Quote:
I have had my Sennheiser HD-25 II's for about 2 weeks now. I do not do any extended burn-in aside from daily listening.

However, as I was doing a very thorough comparison of them and my Shure 750dj's, I noticed how shrill the highs were on vocals. When a singer would pronounce certain words, like a "t" or "s" its sounds overly harsh. Like "st" is "stands," or "t" in "take." I'm not sure whether it has sounded like this from the beginning, but after noticing it a couple of days ago I can't stop noticing it.

Does this mean the drivers have been/were damaged? I do not recall damaging them. Do any other owners notice this shrillness on the pronunciation of those words?

Sep 26, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 27

Quote:
that's normal for the hd25, we call it sibilance, a hisssss like sound when a sssssinger ssssings like a sccnnake

Oh, thankyou. I was a little worried for a bit there. It is a shame though, as my Shure 750dj's were almost $100 less than the Sennheisers and, while this is an opinion, sound somewhat better. But I did by the Sennheisers for their portability, so at least they fulfill their purpose.

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 27
the sibilance is common on a pair of hd25, some reviewers somewhat forgotten to include that in their reviews.. but i think it will decreases overtime, but not significantly. maybe the hd25 sound just not your cup of tea, thats why you prefer the 750dj      jm2c

Sep 27, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #5 of 27
When I heard the HD25 IIs, I certainly wouldn't consider the treble as shrill. A good amount of burn in (100 hours or so) coupled with a good source and amp should go a long way IMO.

Sep 27, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 27

Quote:
When I heard the HD25 IIs, I certainly wouldn't consider the treble as shrill. A good amount of burn in (100 hours or so) coupled with a good source and amp should go a long way IMO.

That's funny, because I only started to notice the sibilance after listening to them very intently with off a burned CD track and my Denon receiver. Of course, now that I've noticed it it continues to distract me whether it be from that or an iPod.

When I said treble, I didn't really mean the nature of the headphones, I chose them for their bass. I was just trying to describe the sibilance, but I have seen reviews claiming the Sennheiser's could be a little unnatural on the treble side, or something of that sort.

Sep 27, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #7 of 27

Quote:
That's funny, because I only started to notice the sibilance after listening to them very intently with off a burned CD track and my Denon receiver. Of course, now that I've noticed it it continues to distract me whether it be from that or an iPod.

When I said treble, I didn't really mean the nature of the headphones, I chose them for their bass. I was just trying to describe the sibilance, but I have seen reviews claiming the Sennheiser's could be a little unnatural on the treble side, or something of that sort.

they can be more prone to sibilance then other phones i have tried

Sep 27, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #9 of 27
Just bear in mind that HD 25-1 is built for professional use, so it's all about honesty, honesty, honesty. If there's sibilance it's probably inherent on the track.

Sep 28, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #10 of 27
Coming from a warm, dynamic headphone like the Shure 750 to a cold, analytical headphone like the HD-25 can be a bit of a shock, but this is how they are supposed to sound. They're esentially the Grado SR325 of closed headphones.

Sep 28, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #11 of 27
Honestly, I don't really notice it that much. I have them myself (though I've had mine for like 4 months now. Never burned it in though, just used it whenever I wanted to). They don't really even seem analytical to me, but then again I haven't tried many other headphones :). Only the DT770s, AD700s (for gaming), and ATH-M50s.

Another thing to note though is that I'm pretty sure I have damaged hearing. I don't think I can hear above 14kHz (haven't really tested professionally, just via my headphones + my onboard soundcard). And I have tinnitus. No room to buy at least a decent one for gaming (like $30 lol) due to running SLI.

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #12 of 27
Coming from a warm, dynamic headphone like the Shure 750 to a cold, analytical headphone like the HD-25 can be a bit of a shock, but this is how they are supposed to sound. They're esentially the Grado SR325 of closed headphones.

Really? I was always under the impression that the Senn's were at heart a bass colored headphone. Also they sound distinctly darker and possibly more muffled in the vocals and mid ranges than the Shure's. Perhaps you are confusing the shure's sound signature?

Also, I changed out the PU leather with the velour pads immediately after I got the headphones. Much better. (I wish they had those for my Shure's :frowning2: )

Sep 28, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #13 of 27
Sorry, a random question I would like to throw in. In the past, I have noticed that supra-aural headphones (on-ear headphones like the Sennheiser HD-25 II's) always make my ears painfully sore after an hour to an hour and a half after putting them on. I was interested in knowing whether this was normal, or just me. The velours feel somewhat more comfortable, but it doesn't prevent the eventual soreness after a while.

Sep 28, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #14 of 27

Quote:
Really? I was always under the impression that the Senn's were at heart a bass colored headphone. Also they sound distinctly darker and possibly more muffled in the vocals and mid ranges than the Shure's. Perhaps you are confusing the shure's sound signature?
Also, I changed out the PU leather with the velour pads immediately after I got the headphones. Much better. (I wish they had those for my Shure's
frown.gif
)

Hey how are your shures? Any issues yet? Ironically the issue your having with the seenheiser hd 25 1 ii is the same issue i had with the shure srh750dj.

Sep 28, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #15 of 27

Quote:
Also, I changed out the PU leather with the velour pads immediately after I got the headphones. Much better. (I wish they had those for my Shure's
frown.gif
)

Senns in general have that reputation. The Senn HD 25-1 is noteworthy for bucking that trend, among other things.
To put it plainly: The HD 25-1 is not dark or bassy. It has as much bass as there is in the recording, doesn't exaggerate it.

Quote:
Sorry, a random question I would like to throw in. In the past, I have noticed that supra-aural headphones (on-ear headphones like the Sennheiser HD-25 II's) always make my ears painfully sore after an hour to an hour and a half after putting them on. I was interested in knowing whether this was normal, or just me. The velours feel somewhat more comfortable, but it doesn't prevent the eventual soreness after a while.

Normal for HD 25-1. 
A tip I read somewhere else on Head-Fi: set the cups one notch looser than you normally wear, and then clamp the 'phones on a shoebox/tissuebox/bunch of textbooks. Leave for a while (e.g. 20 mins). When you wear them, they will be more comfortable than before, and you can always tighten as necessary.
Note that this is temporary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back