Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Aug 15, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #1,201 of 1,519
From my understanding the Mobius will be all but optimal for Console gaming, sure he head-tracking is still there, but I still fail to see how that will be a game changer unless you have software (games) written to take advantage of the tracking to begin with.

Aug 15, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #1,202 of 1,519
From my understanding the Mobius will be all but optimal for Console gaming, sure he head-tracking is still there, but I still fail to see how that will be a game changer unless you have software (games) written to take advantage of the tracking to begin with.
That's the beauty of it, the game doesn't need to do anything different except outputting 5.1 or 7.1 surround. The headset does the spatial transformation + HRTF based on the surround sound signal. I think OSSIC probably did some undertable deal with Audeze and liquidated their techs to them.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #1,205 of 1,519
That's the beauty of it, the game doesn't need to do anything different except outputting 5.1 or 7.1 surround. The headset does the spatial transformation + HRTF based on the surround sound signal. I think OSSIC probably did some undertable deal with Audeze and liquidated their techs to them.

Well on xbox you would have to resort to Windows sonic or Dolby atmos for headphones on the analog out. Both which are way worse than Dolby headphone ("hardware") , GSX or SBX.

So i'm still skeptical about the head tracking being a game changer on it's own.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #1,209 of 1,519
Yet again, the usefulness of this escapes me.
Well that depends on the usefulness of immersion to you. To me, that immersion is important for certain movies and games. That's why I got gsx1000 in the first place for surround immersion. Head relational add another layer to that immersion on top of surround sound. I'd suggest watching Head-fi's video on mobius. They describe it well in it.

Aug 15, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #1,210 of 1,519
Of course immersion is important but so is positionnal accuracy, I mean in games, what you hear is related to what you see on the screen not the position of your own head (except in VR where it's already taken care of), hence the immersion. Your ears and eyes are in sync. If the direction of sounds suddenly changes in relation to my own head (which is outside of the game's world) it'll only lessen the immersion, not enhance it. As for movies, yeah, still not seeing the benefits, there's still one screen in front of you and the sounds are still related to what you see.

Aug 15, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #1,212 of 1,519
Of course immersion is important but so is positionnal accuracy, I mean in games, what you hear is related to what you see on the screen not the position of your own head (except in VR where it's already taken care of), hence the immersion. Your ears and eyes are in sync. If the direction of sounds suddenly changes in relation to my own head (which is outside of the game's world) it'll only lessen the immersion, not enhance it. As for movies, yeah, still not seeing the benefits, there's still one screen in front of you and the sounds are still related to what you see.

Exactly, positional accuracy is one extra benefit of head position transformation as detailed by the Head-Fi video. So you get more accurate sound cue in FPS games. As for movie, the benefit is like having a virtual surround speaker setup in your room where speakers stay in the same position no matter how you move. Making you feel like you are inside a theater.

Aug 15, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #1,213 of 1,519
Just because you move your head does not mean you move the same in the game....it's not VR.

The Infomercial video where they mention that they now can "crack" their necks when playing and still have positional cues aren't that convincing to me.

I can understand that with their software and head tracking for pc games it will be more immersive, but without the software(on consoles), I still doubt it will improve positional cues.

Aug 15, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #1,214 of 1,519
Just because you move your head does not mean you move the same in the game....it's not VR.

The Infomercial video where they mention that they now can "crack" their necks when playing and still have positional cues aren't that convincing to me.

I can understand that with their software and head tracking for pc games it will be more immersive, but without the software(on consoles), I still doubt it will improve positional cues.
Oh you are talking about console. Yea you'll need a Dolby or DTS decoder that can pipe that surround signal into a PC so you can output that again to the headphone. But might get lag through a long chain like that. Its unlikely that it'll get first party usb surround support from Sony or Microsoft though cus they tend to prefer to pipe the surround through either PCM, Dolby digital or DTS. Unless Audeze work with them and get licensed for the usb surround.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #1,215 of 1,519
Well yes, but I'm talking about the head-tracking on its own won't make that much of difference in terms of positional cues, at least I fail to see exactly how that would work.

Consoles can't output audio thru USB (USB is for chat audio only, at least on xbox), let alone surround.

Is there a reason GSX and the mobious lack the optical input (is there a limitation compared to USB) to decode DD/DTS signal and apply their processing ? Just like the X7 they could have a optical in, and then use the USB to connect to a computer to apply the processing/drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back