Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Jun 15, 2018 at 3:40 AM Post #1,172 of 1,519
Are the HD598's considered to the be the "best" headphones to run with the GSX1000 without requiring External Amplification? If not, is there another? I was looking at the GSP500's too.
I have the GSP600. They seem to be a perfect match with the GSX1000. But as the GSX can even drive my HD650 or HD800, thee are much more options out there open or closed. All Sennheiser gaming headsets should be ideal with it though.

Jun 24, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #1,173 of 1,519
I am using Focal Utopia with this for movie. Awesome solid sound.

Jun 24, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #1,174 of 1,519
I am using Focal Utopia with this for movie. Awesome solid sound.

I skipped the GSX 1000 and moved to HT Omega Eclaro , the best card in the universe , best 3D surround , XEAR 3D Surround is the best you can get. I am using with HD800s , connected to Objective 2 AMP connected to the Front panel of the card without AMP , so I'm not double amp . the sound is loud that I needed to lower 3 notches on my AMP compare to Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohms with Asus Xonar Phoebus or GSX 1000 , and also in some games I need to lower to almost 30% on the game volume just so I won't go deaf .. this card is so loud and the quality + surround is amazing .. if someone want to buy the GSX 1000 I am selling.

I have a friend with 9 cards, he did blind sound test in 3 games . He said hear them all one by one with Stereo settings and tell me which surround do you like . he didn't tell me which card was which and I just choose 3 out of the 9 video/sound tests . I picked on all 3 the same surround and also he said he liked the same .. so it's clearly to many ears will be perfect , because he is 3D Video/Surround fan so he wants the best out of both . he also created SuperDepth shader for reshade , makes every game to 3D like Tridef.

I will never ever buy Asus or Creative sound cards, they are the crappiest cards in the world , and you can buy better sound card in the same price, just sad , asus and creative should abandoned sound card manufacture cause the extreme price and the crap drivers/software/hardware is less than satisfied . I will ask him if I can post the test files here.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #1,175 of 1,519
I skipped the GSX 1000 and moved to HT Omega Eclaro , the best card in the universe , best 3D surround , XEAR 3D Surround is the best you can get. I am using with HD800s , connected to Objective 2 AMP connected to the Front panel of the card without AMP , so I'm not double amp . the sound is loud that I needed to lower 3 notches on my AMP compare to Beyerdynamic DT990 600 ohms with Asus Xonar Phoebus or GSX 1000 , and also in some games I need to lower to almost 30% on the game volume just so I won't go deaf .. this card is so loud and the quality + surround is amazing .. if someone want to buy the GSX 1000 I am selling.

I have a friend with 9 cards, he did blind sound test in 3 games . He said hear them all one by one with Stereo settings and tell me which surround do you like . he didn't tell me which card was which and I just choose 3 out of the 9 video/sound tests . I picked on all 3 the same surround and also he said he liked the same .. so it's clearly to many ears will be perfect , because he is 3D Video/Surround fan so he wants the best out of both . he also created SuperDepth shader for reshade , makes every game to 3D like Tridef.

I will never ever buy Asus or Creative sound cards, they are the crappiest cards in the world , and you can buy better sound card in the same price, just sad , asus and creative should abandoned sound card manufacture cause the extreme price and the crap drivers/software/hardware is less than specified

Oh I am glad you like that card. but to diss the inventor of sound cards (Creative) and the first to bring an audiophole soundcard (Asus) is going a little overboard.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #1,176 of 1,519
Hey guys, I understand that for the GSX 1000, windows setting should be set to 7.1, and settings in-game should be set to something like 7.1/5.1/surround if available.
What happens when:
1) a game is set to 7.1 in its options, but the GSX 1000 is set to 2.0? I assume the unit will properly downmix the channels into stereo?
2) a game does not have any audio channel options?

Jun 25, 2018 at 3:10 AM Post #1,177 of 1,519
1) The GSX downmixes the surround channels into stereo yes (but it sounds a bit worse than pure stereo imho, same as with any other downmix), it does not change windows' settings.
2) Today's games base their audio output on windows's settings. If windows is set to 7.1 games will output 7.1 (or 5.1 accordingly)

Jul 7, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #1,179 of 1,519
Does this unit have a firmware update available for Macs? I just set up mine yesterday, but the firmware update it led me to download seemed to be exclusively for Windows PCs. The GXS 1000 seems to be working fine with my Macbook Pro already, without the firmware update, but if there is a required firmware update for Macs, I wouldn't mind getting it.

Any helpful thoughts about this would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jul 7, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #1,181 of 1,519
I don't think there's any firmware updates for the GSX at all - PC or Mac

That is actually fine with me. I was just asking only because the instruction manual directs the user to the Sennheiser gaming downloads page (https://en-us.sennheiser.com/gaming-downloads) for a possible firmware update, at the end of the initial setup instructions,

Jul 7, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #1,182 of 1,519
The format is simple, I am going to review each game with the GSX 1000 + Schiit Vali 2 (6922 electro harmonix tube) + HD600/HD800/THX00. Will test out a Planar headphones with NFB1Amp later. Also before you go ahead and type that It is a shame I used HD800 and put 7.1 with it, I tried it just for the hell of it. I know HD800 has an amazing sound stage on its own and doesn't need to be altered AT ALL but it was worth a shot.

I'd stay away from tubes for this. It screw with the 7.1 virtualization frequencies too much to make it accurate for pin point surround, and maybe that's why you are having problem with the competitive games. You want to go for the cleanest high power amp to amplify those frequencies.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #1,184 of 1,519
I'm running the gsx1200 with the gsp500 at about 20-26 volume, the HD650 goes to about 36 volume and its loud enough. I consider 50 on the GSX to be high volume even with the HD650.

So i'm confused when some youtubers crank the volume up on reviews. If there's volume to 300ohms headphones, then there's no problem.

I also have a G5 and Z from soundblaster, and even though the G5 have better specs on the amp department, the audio quality on the sennheiser is better IMHO.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #1,185 of 1,519
Overwatch:

6/10 HD600: Did not enjoy this at ALL, sounded to wide and messed around with the audio too much
6/10 HD800: Pretty much the same as HD600. The sound stage was absolutely too big and just ruined the experience
8/10 THX00: Not as bad as the other two, much more pleasant experience but still wouldn't recommend it

CSGO:

3/10 HD600: Do note that I am in NO WAY a good CSGO player, I just fired up the game and had a go and honestly 7.1 sounded awful with HD600
5/10 HD800: Slightly improved compared to the HD600 but again, not worth the money and audio is too much altered to be considered a good purchase for competitive.
7/10 THX00: Good for the most part, good match, but that's about it, just ok.

This Games actually support their own surround, did you make sure to deactive both prior testing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back