Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Aug 5, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #1,186 of 1,519
My final verdict is that I would recommend it for sure, if you're a person who plays a lot of casual games or single player. It is a good purchase! If you are thinking to get that "extra" edge on competitive games. No, get a good sound stage headphones and play on stereo mode and you're done. Let the game engine do it's job.

I think it is a little problematic that you assume that stereo is how things are supposed to sound. Stereo only sounds the way it does on headphones due to the lack of proper HRTFs in the audio. This is an artifact of headphone listening that is fixed by devices like the gsx 1000. That type of functionality cannot be replaced by simply getting better analog headphones.

And the audio engine of the game likes having more channels to play with. That allows finer control of panning and volume attenuation.

Aug 6, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #1,187 of 1,519
I will never ever buy Asus or Creative sound cards, they are the crappiest cards in the world , and you can buy better sound card in the same price, just sad , asus and creative should abandoned sound card manufacture cause the extreme price and the crap drivers/software/hardware is less than satisfied . I will ask him if I can post the test files here.

Okay settle down, great you like your soundcard, but no need to be ignorant and spew out BS about brands that have been in this business for decades.

Aug 7, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #1,188 of 1,519
The Sennheiser GSX 1200 PRO has been part of our PC gaming setup at Head-Fi HQ since CES, and I've shared my thoughts in the latest episode of Head-Fi TV. We've included some 2.0 vs 7.1 processing demos in the video. If you haven't experienced the GSX processing for yourself, you can get a feel for how it handles games like The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Overwatch.

Aug 14, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #1,189 of 1,519
Just so people know, the volume sliders on the side of the GTX1200 control mic in/out not just to other gtx1200 units, but also the volume of mic in windows and the output sound of the Comunication Device on windows. On the GTX1000 you can only control the mic in I think. So people that report low mic volume should check these sliders...

Aug 15, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #1,190 of 1,519
I'm considering picking a GSX 1000 up but I'm still trying to figure out if it's right for me. I'm on PC and I am a novice when it comes to sound setups.

I had a Mixamp gen. 1 for gaming and positional audio that worked well (enough) for me. Problem is, the Mixamp seems to be bad quality and never lasts more than a year or two.
I've been through 3 of them already (thankfully the warranty covered me the first few times, but that's no longer the case). I'm tired of the shoddy build quality of the Mixamp and ready to move on to better things.

ANYWAY, I have a Soundblaster Z and a pair of Fidelio X1's. The positional audio (SBX) plugging straight into the sound card isn't doing it for me and I can tell the difference
in my play having come from the Mixamp. I just can't hear footsteps well enough anymore without the Mixamp.

I know, stereo is all I should need, et cetera but I really think I prefer the virtual surround sound (even if it is considered a gimmick by some people).
So what would you suggest? What headphone amp or other device should I include in my build to get the desired results? Should I go with the GSX 1000? Will it work with the Soundblaster Z or should I use it separately?

Thanks guys.

Aug 15, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #1,191 of 1,519
I'm considering picking a GSX 1000 up but I'm still trying to figure out if it's right for me. I'm on PC and I am a novice when it comes to sound setups.

I had a Mixamp gen. 1 for gaming and positional audio that worked well (enough) for me. Problem is, the Mixamp seems to be bad quality and never lasts more than a year or two.
I've been through 3 of them already (thankfully the warranty covered me the first few times, but that's no longer the case). I'm tired of the shoddy build quality of the Mixamp and ready to move on to better things.

ANYWAY, I have a Soundblaster Z and a pair of Fidelio X1's. The positional audio (SBX) plugging straight into the sound card isn't doing it for me and I can tell the difference
in my play having come from the Mixamp. I just can't hear footsteps well enough anymore without the Mixamp.

I know, stereo is all I should need, et cetera but I really think I prefer the virtual surround sound (even if it is considered a gimmick by some people).
So what would you suggest? What headphone amp or other device should I include in my build to get the desired results? Should I go with the GSX 1000? Will it work with the Soundblaster Z or should I use it separately?

Thanks guys.

I'd just buy a Audeze mobius. Its way more advance than gsx1000 and give you a better headphone than the x1. It has head tracking with HRTF. Meaning you'll be able pin point foot step even when you move your head around.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #1,192 of 1,519
Separately.

GSX has the best VSS (virtual surround) I've ever found - for me, It's individual, dependent on your ear shape etc.

Others swear by the soundblaster solutions - sure you've set it up correctly? Should have a way/option to do a "scout" or " footstep" mode.

Aug 15, 2018 at 3:24 PM Post #1,193 of 1,519
I'd just buy a Audeze mobius. Its way more advance than gsx1000 and give you a better headphone than the x1. It has head tracking with HRTF. Meaning you'll be able pin point foot step even when you move your head around.

I haven't received mine yet - how much does the tracking improve frontal cues compared to the other 3 solutions he mentioned?

Aug 15, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #1,197 of 1,519
You can download Waves Mx and try it for free for 30 days. This is what Mobius uses for VSS, so before purchasing the Mobius maybe give it a try and see if its DSP works for your ears.

You won't be getting head tracking with the free trial but you can still tell if the VSS works without it .

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #1,199 of 1,519
Aug 15, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #1,200 of 1,519
So you're recommending it before even using it?
Yes. But since the discount period has passed, you might as well wait for more reviews. I'll check back later and let u know. The reason why I'm recommending it to you over gsx1000 before I heard it is because for your case, I believe its a better choice based on the information I got. But my recommendation is definitely don't buy either yet. Don't want u to jump into gsx1000 and regret after mobius comes out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back