Head-Fi Gaming: Sennheiser GSX 1200 PRO Review
Aug 7, 2018 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

AxelCloris

Head-Fi TV Producer and Presenter
Administrator

NOTE: If you can't see the embedded video above, please CLICK HERE to see the video.

Sennheiser needs no introduction in the gaming headset market, and a few of the USB headsets they've released have come with licensed virtual surround sound technology. When Sennheiser introduced the GSX 1000 and GSX 1200 PRO last year, they introduced us to their all-new Sennheiser Binaural Rendering Engine - Sennheiser's home-grown virtual surround sound DSP.

Given the number of virtual surround processors available today, is the Sennheiser GSX 1200 PRO able to find its place in the market? We've been using the GSX 1200 PRO as a central part of our PC gaming setup here at Head-Fi HQ, so join us in this episode of Head-Fi TV as we share our thoughts on the Sennheiser GSX 1200 PRO.

Sennheiser GSX 1200 PRO Review - Head-Fi TV - Produced by Brian Murphy and Joe Cwik

Aug 7, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 20
Brian, I mentioned this on the youtube vid, but the 7.1 tests didn't sound accurate. Like the rear cues would go silent.

Aug 7, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #4 of 20
Would really like you to record some Skyrim music in 7.1. I'm interested to see what this type of processing can do to soundstage in soundtrack-based music.

Aug 7, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 20
Hey everyone, based on a few pieces of feedback I've received, I want to double-check all of the settings on our game capture setup when I'm back at the office tomorrow. It's possible that one of the settings wasn't optimal, which could result in a weaker presence of the rear cues. If something's off, I'll see what I can do to get it corrected. Thank you to everyone who provided feedback on my first solo flight, it's greatly appreciated.

Aug 8, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #7 of 20
@AxelCloris and @Mad Lust Envy - I am not a gamer, but would like to invest in a surround solution for movies (5.1 and/or 7.1) using headphones (like the AEON Flow Closed).
Is the Sennheiser GSX 1000 the best option for movies (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime) watching on a PC? Or do you recommend something better?

Aug 9, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #8 of 20
I have been curious about the GSX-1000. I currently use the Sennheiser GSP 500's with a SoundBlaster Z. The sound has been great but I'm interested in trying the latest DAC and AMP tech. The Soundblaster X AE-5 has peaked my interest most, so I will report back with my results here if you are interested as I'm sure a lot of people are curious with AE-5 as well. Not sure when or if I will be trying the GSX tho, it will depend how satisfied I am with the AE-5. I have read and watched a lot of overview/reviews of the GSX and some of them concern me. 1. the amp doesnt seem to drive headphones as much as I would expect. I have also heard the microphone has reduced sound and clarity with the GSX. Other than that, I have heard great things about the GSX, but the additonal hardware on my desk and harder for me to adjust EQ/settings and such in comparison to a SB product has kept me away a bit to try. If anyone has experience trying both the SB X AE-5 AND GSX 1000/1200 please post your thoughts.

Aug 9, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #9 of 20
@AxelCloris and @Mad Lust Envy - I am not a gamer, but would like to invest in a surround solution for movies (5.1 and/or 7.1) using headphones (like the AEON Flow Closed).
Is the Sennheiser GSX 1000 the best option for movies (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime) watching on a PC? Or do you recommend something better?
There is better, IMO, but they're considerably more expensive. You'd be looking at something like the Smyth Realiser A8 or the upcoming A16. The GSX 1000 strikes a balance of price:performance for me. The AEON Flow are efficient enough for my uses with the GSX 1200 PRO, so you wouldn't need to use any other amplification unless you were looking to add something like a tube sound into the mix.

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #10 of 20
There is better, IMO, but they're considerably more expensive. You'd be looking at something like the Smyth Realiser A8 or the upcoming A16. The GSX 1000 strikes a balance of price:performance for me. The AEON Flow are efficient enough for my uses with the GSX 1200 PRO, so you wouldn't need to use any other amplification unless you were looking to add something like a tube sound into the mix.
Brian - nothing in between the GSX 1000 (or 1200) and the Smyth Realiser (that is very expensive, and delayed for more than a year)? Let's use $500 as a budget...

Aug 9, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #11 of 20
My two favorite devices under $500 are the Sennheiser GSX 1000 ($230) and the Creative Sound Blaster X7 ($400). I use the X7 with my PlayStation 4 Pro and I use the GSX on PC. Honestly, the X7 is overkill for how I personally use it (as a DSP only) but it's the best I've come across for console gaming. If you're looking for the Swiss Army Knife recommendation, that's the X7. If you're just planning to watch movies with your AEON Flow, I'd go with the GSX. You could also look into using Dolby Atmos Surround ($15 I think) in Windows 10 if you want to try a software-only approach, but I've had mixed results with it.

Aug 9, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #12 of 20
My two favorite devices under $500 are the Sennheiser GSX 1000 ($230) and the Creative Sound Blaster X7 ($400). I use the X7 with my PlayStation 4 Pro and I use the GSX on PC. Honestly, the X7 is overkill for how I personally use it (as a DSP only) but it's the best I've come across for console gaming. If you're looking for the Swiss Army Knife recommendation, that's the X7. If you're just planning to watch movies with your AEON Flow, I'd go with the GSX. You could also look into using Dolby Atmos Surround ($15 I think) in Windows 10 if you want to try a software-only approach, but I've had mixed results with it.
Actually, I have purchased (and did not use much) the Out-of-your-Head software-only DSP solution. Totally forgot about it... Maybe I should try that first!!
Thanks Brian for your insights. See you in Denver :wink:

Aug 11, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #13 of 20
Have anyone tried Sennheiser GSX 1000/1200 with Audeze Mobius?

I wonder if spatialization feature of Mobius can be activated while running off the GSX 1000/1200 as a regular headphone.
Just imagine if the effects were compounded!!

Aug 11, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #15 of 20
Have anyone tried Sennheiser GSX 1000/1200 with Audeze Mobius?

I wonder if spatialization feature of Mobius can be activated while running off the GSX 1000/1200 as a regular headphone.
Just imagine if the effects were compounded!!
The Mobius sould only be used sans virtual surround from the analog in. So you would have to use the VRS from the GSX1000 with the Mobius.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back