Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
May 18, 2018 at 9:01 PM Post #1,111 of 1,519
Thank you for the sugestion but listen is off.

The problem is not earing my voice, the problem is that the mic is capturing output sounds and this causes feedback for my teammates on discord. They can ear my ingame sounds, youtube videos, in general everything that passes a certain volume. Is like having a mic with stereo speakers

Hey mate I own a GSX1000 and regularly use Discord. This sounds terribly frustrating. Do me a favour so we can try get it sorted.

Download and install Audacity. Close Discord and open Audacity. Set the record device as the microphone input and then hit record. Give yourself some silence then test the voice a bit; make sure nothing sounds weird. Listen back and if it's all good load in a fresh recording; while you chat away load in something from YouTube or Spotify etc to see if you can get the feedback? If it is there when you listen back WITHOUT Discord open then it's a tricky one. However, if you find that it isn't there; Open Discord and try again and report back your findings.

At this stage; it's sounds like the input from Discord is set to the wrong thing. I'd suggest not having the Discord slider to "Auto Adjust Mic Gain" and set the gate yourself. Also manually select the Output of Discord to "GSX Communication Audio".

Lettuce know how it goes.

Last edited:
May 18, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #1,112 of 1,519
Has anyone got (the balls and) the electrical know how to open up their GSX100 and modify the circuitry so that the signal coming from the surround sound chip is routed to the speaker line out connection?

In essence; wouldn't this allow you to run a clean line-out signal coming straight off the chip and skip the integrated headphone amp and allow you to plug into something more suited to which ever can you rock out on?

May 19, 2018 at 1:52 AM Post #1,113 of 1,519
Has anyone got (the balls and) the electrical know how to open up their GSX100 and modify the circuitry so that the signal coming from the surround sound chip is routed to the speaker line out connection?

In essence; wouldn't this allow you to run a clean line-out signal coming straight off the chip and skip the integrated headphone amp and allow you to plug into something more suited to which ever can you rock out on?
Did you try to double amp with your Jotunheim? I do this sometimes with my HDVA 600 for the HD800SD and it sounds good.

May 19, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #1,114 of 1,519
Did you try to double amp with your Jotunheim? I do this sometimes with my HDVA 600 for the HD800SD and it sounds good.

I don’t yet own a second amp; but if I do go for some HD800S I’ll likely get a Jotunheim or similar.

I wasn’t sure if the double amping is every a bad thing? Do you set you GSX super low or 50%?

May 19, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #1,115 of 1,519
In Discord is very notice because my team-mates pointed out to me, and there is a voice meter in Discord settings that shows that the mic is picking output sounds. For me individually this is not an issue because I don't ear the feedback

Try lowering your voice detection settings in discord or use push to talk. I had a similar problem with my modmic on a HD598.

May 19, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #1,116 of 1,519
I don’t yet own a second amp; but if I do go for some HD800S I’ll likely get a Jotunheim or similar.

I wasn’t sure if the double amping is every a bad thing? Do you set you GSX super low or 50%?
I think I put the GSX on 80% to have a good input signal for the HDVA 600. I will try tonight and tell you then after.

May 19, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #1,118 of 1,519
Isn't Jot + HD800(s) Terrible pairing? What is your honest opinion here on them both.
Sorry, I only have the Sennheiser HDVA 600. And this one pairs very good with the HD800SD.

May 19, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #1,119 of 1,519
Hey mate I own a GSX1000 and regularly use Discord. This sounds terribly frustrating. Do me a favour so we can try get it sorted.

Download and install Audacity. Close Discord and open Audacity. Set the record device as the microphone input and then hit record. Give yourself some silence then test the voice a bit; make sure nothing sounds weird. Listen back and if it's all good load in a fresh recording; while you chat away load in something from YouTube or Spotify etc to see if you can get the feedback? If it is there when you listen back WITHOUT Discord open then it's a tricky one. However, if you find that it isn't there; Open Discord and try again and report back your findings.

At this stage; it's sounds like the input from Discord is set to the wrong thing. I'd suggest not having the Discord slider to "Auto Adjust Mic Gain" and set the gate yourself. Also manually select the Output of Discord to "GSX Communication Audio".

Lettuce know how it goes.

Thank you very much for your suggestion, going to try it out tomorrow when I get home.

But late last night I made an important break trough that improved my problem big time. So I have an extension y spliter connected to the gsx 1000 routed under the desk where I plug the small cable of the gsp 500, I disconnected the extension and plug in the gsp 500 directly with the provided y spliter cable. Now discord is not triggering all the time with the right voice detection.

Now, it still not perfect and I can see in the discord voice detection bar that still picking output sounds but now they are torable. This is not sound bleed being picked by the mic becouse if I plug the headset directly into my motherboard and try this cenario the voice detection bar on discord dont pick any output sound no matter what sound volume.

Try lowering your voice detection settings in discord or use push to talk. I had a similar problem with my modmic on a HD598.

I have it almost to the point of not picking my voice and still picks up gunshots ingame

May 19, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #1,121 of 1,519
Just a quick info about noise floor. I tested the headphone-out of my G5 and my GSX1200 with a shure SE535 and the noise floor I hear is about the same on both, so I guess that noise floor comes from amplification.
On the speaker-out from both devices there's no listenable noise using the SE535.

May 19, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #1,122 of 1,519
What do you mean by good? Do you get hiss if you set it above 80%?
On another note, since the gsx changes windows volume directly, shouldn't it be set to max ideally?
Good mean loud enough to mimic a line out, but you want a clean signal, that is why I never use 100% on any amps output stage. Just tested Ghost Recon Wildlands on PC > GSX 1000 set to 7.1/ volume 80% headphone out > line in HDVA 600 volume 50%(low gain) > balanced out > HD600. I hear no hiss, no distortion. sounds fantastic.

May 19, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #1,123 of 1,519
Good mean loud enough to mimic a line out, but you want a clean signal, that is why I never use 100% on any amps output stage. Just tested Ghost Recon Wildlands on PC > GSX 1000 set to 7.1/ volume 80% headphone out > line in HDVA 600 volume 50%(low gain) > balanced out > HD600. I hear no hiss, no distortion. sounds fantastic.

I could be totally wrong, but shouldn't this be a non-issue for the gsx 1000?
The volume dial on the gsx 1000 changes the OS volume directly, which is why turning the dial will attenuate the signal from the gsx's line out (on most amps line out volume is independent).
In this case, isn't the unit just performing the same level of amplification regardless what % we set? The only difference is the input signal, which I've always assumed should be as high as possible for dynamic range. Unless you can detect hiss etc when you go above 80% on the gsx?
Again, I could be wrong, please enlighten me if that is the case here.

Last edited:
May 19, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #1,124 of 1,519
I could be totally wrong, but shouldn't this be a non-issue for the gsx 1000?
The volume dial on the gsx 1000 changes the OS volume directly, which is why turning the dial will attenuate the signal from the gsx's line out (on most amps line out volume is independent).
In this case, isn't the unit just performing the same level of amplification regardless what % we set? The only difference is the input signal, which I've always assumed should be as high as possible for dynamic range. Unless you can detect hiss etc when you go above 80% on the gsx?
Again, I could be wrong, please enlighten me if that is the case here.
Well, you could be right, I am not able to tell you. Maybe @Sennheiser can.

May 20, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #1,125 of 1,519

I connect my GSX-1000 to my magni 3 as preamp, then send them through a speaker amp that’s connected to my 2 front SphereX speakers and a subwoofer. Shockingly the virtual surround effect still works to a certain degrees!! (Side backs) I usually output my gsx-1000 at around 50% in that chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back