Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions
Feb 1, 2018 at 3:14 AM Post #991 of 1,519
so what would be the different between sonic and gsx ? what to use to use if I have both

Well, every virtualization is different, I also have both, will be testing and choosing the one I like per game/movie.
The biggest benefit of Sonic is that its free and it can decode far beyond 7.1 that GSX can, if say a game/movie has height channels it can decode it too, as per spec it can decode up to 7.1.4.4
So if you watch bluray rips you can use sonic and enjoy those rips iwth more than 7.1 channels

If sonic is really good, i might sell my GSX and stay with just Sonic.
Just dont forget to turn it off for stereo, you dont have to but just like GSX in virtual surround it supports 16bit only so if you have 24/32bit for your daily windows stuff and YT, turn the Sonic off when you dont play

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #992 of 1,519
The “Turn on 7.1 virtual surround sound” (Windows) or “Use virtual surround in apps” (Xbox) checkbox allows all existing applications that were capable of rendering to 5.1 or 7.1

Yes, but it doesn't work as it's supposed to (at least on windows). I've tested it, games that show their audio output (like Titanfall 2 or Nier Automata) just show "stereo" or "2.1" with the box checked or unchecked. There's an extensive topic on head-fi about atmos and sonic where the problem has been discussed.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #993 of 1,519
Let me check TF2 tonight. I mean the MS video promises to get us 3D sound from every game.

Feb 1, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #994 of 1,519
It doesn't need to be "compatble", it just requires the game to output a surround signal (which is another problem), just like the GSX or any other VSS (yes like windows sonic too). It frickin' says so in the the vid, WATCH IT! The main difference with the one directly baked into overwatch is that it's already part of the game's sound engine.

Did you try it for yourself, or just believe what they say in the vid

Ironically, Windows set to stereo, and the game outputting 5.1, is the F option that Collin says is "utter crap".

But this is what I do with BF1, but using my audio drivers and sonic studio software!!! Which I can tell you from personal experience is way better then dolby atmos or sonic for heapdhones. which was garbage in comparison. another 3rd party gimmick that only lessens the quality. Muffling and muddying sounds, distorting it. even lessening the soundstage.

I couldn't tell the diff between the two, besides Dolby's version having more bass.

No game I ever played has up and down sounds, and dolby atmos isn't going to create something that isn't there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 1, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #995 of 1,519
Let me check TF2 tonight. I mean the MS video promises to get us 3D sound from every game.

Almost every game already has 3d sound. as I've been saying for 3 pages!!! Like Glasofruix you are using a 3rd party solution on top of something that's already there. You just need decent sound card and drivers. I have the realtek 1220, even without the sonic studio software I'm still getting great 3d sound in bf1. The main factor is my headphones!

It can't make up and down sounds if the game devs didn't put them in!!!

I also compared the drivers I use to the basic drivers windows installs. And indeed good audio drivers do matter...lol

I tried the dolby for headphones trial. It definitely changes the sound, but not in a positive way for me. I couldn't even tell if it was doing anything 3d wise. It just sounded bad. And the only diff between it and sonic for windows, is the dolby version has a little more bass. But its the same thing!! Another gimmick!

Also if you are using the gsx, for goodness sake shut off atmos or windows sonic for headphones!!! and put your windows back to 7.1 atmos for heapdhones is even worse then the gsx, and it doesn't make sense to use the two together. You might as well get rid of the gsx if you want to use atmos.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #996 of 1,519
Yes, but it doesn't work as it's supposed to (at least on windows). I've tested it, games that show their audio output (like Titanfall 2 or Nier Automata) just show "stereo" or "2.1" with the box checked or unchecked. There's an extensive topic on head-fi about atmos and sonic where the problem has been discussed.

Oh so you finally tested this yourself and call it a "bug". Its not a bug man. You don't need freaking windows to be in 5.1/7.1 to get good 3d sound in a game!!!! You just need good audio engine and good game devs who know what they are doing.

THE WINDOWS SETTING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT> That's why you love the gsx so much....you love the whole idea of using that mix from a direct channel method. Its not necessary.

But chances are if a game supports 5.1 (which isn't always in the options menu) It almost definitely supports 3d sound (which probably isn't in the options menu) and probably isn't even documented for nerds, because all that matters is the end result!

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #997 of 1,519
It cant add something that isn't there. For regualr games that support surround, Sonic/Atmos will convert up to 7.1.4.4 to Virtual surround.
But both Atmos and Sonic (especially Sonic) support Object audio, Atmos supports up to 16 objects and Sonic up to 112 objects, object audio is real 3D audio, it treats sound as objects in space instead of channels.

The main difference between the two is that Atmos can take Atmos signal in games or bluray and output to Atmos receiver/decoder.
Initially I was also afraid that Sonic/Atmos dont support 5.1/7.1 decoding because in windows settings when you choose them, the speakers set to stereo BUT i googled for Microsoft tech paper and found out that when you choose the Turn on 7.1 check mark in the settings it lets windows "know" that this device supports up to 7.1
Basically its the same thing as if you chose actual 7.1 from speaker settings, I guess it was done to simplify the process.

Everybody that interested in Virtual Audio should read this tech page.
Basically MS is not doing us a service by not advertising these options: People still buy virtual surround sound decoders/headphones for windows/xbox while there is no need at all.

what are you talking about, in the atmos settings? I never saw this option? ... Actually maybe that option is not what you think? I'm sorry you are talking about windows sonic. Yes I checked that option. Still sounds like crap. Your audio card software is way better.

You don't need to buy anything. Just an audio card with good drivers, which most modern onboards already have.

And headphones, which do make the biggest difference out of everything man. But you don't need something marketed as "surround" headphones. Just something that sounds good with good soundstage being the most important. I would recommend a sennheiser gaming headset.

When I see people using 600 dollar pairs of headphones that don't even cover their whole ear, I assume they aren't getting good surround. They are probably great for music but not as good for gaming purposes, positional audio. Cup design matters a lot here. Those "surround" headphones have big huge cups for a reason.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #998 of 1,519
Did you try it for yourself,

Oh so you finally tested this yourself and call it a "bug". Its not a bug man. You don't need freaking windows to be in 5.1/7.1 to get good 3d sound in a game!!!!

Yes, yes I did try it myself. I've tested every mainstream vss out there and the gsx beats all of them barring one.

Modern games output either stereo or surround. To get surround the game doesn't give you a choice, it looks at how windows has its speakers set up. If it doesn't see 5.1/7.1 it defaults to stereo. In other words, you need to have a real surround device or one that pretends to be a surround device. That's what dolby atmos for headphones and windows sonic are supposed to do, but they don't. You still need windows to at least pretend to be set to 7.1. Now, a vss solution NEEDS more than 2 channels to work with, so this is quite crucial for HRTF to work.

THE WINDOWS SETTING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT

Except windows has EVERYTHING to do with it, because in the end it's window's audio mixer that decides where and how the sound goes. It's like that since vista.

or just believe what they say in the vid

Oh right, why would i believe something said in a vid BY FREAKING PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY MADE THE STUFF? I mean it's not like they're sound engineers or sound designers, right?

what are you talking about, in the atmos settings? I never saw this option? Actually maybe that option is not what you think?

130769d1492542777-enable-spatial-sound-headphones-windows-10-a-dolby_atmos_for_headphones.png

He means this. And the link he posted is the OFFICIAL manual for it.

Ironically, Windows set to stereo, and the game outputting 5.1, is the F option that Collin says is "utter crap". Its what you were trolling me over for 2 pages

Let's take a look at that F option again:

F) Stereo Headset on soundcard with HRTF-based surround simulation, speakers set to 2.0 in Windows, game set to 7.1:

Sound source in 3D space -> Soundengine Processing to 7.1 speakers, where upwards/downwards and front/back information is largely lost -> 7.1 sound sent to Windows Audio Service -> Downmix to 2.0, where front/back separation is completely lost -> 2.0 signal sent to soundcard -> adding some reverb -> Stereo Output on Headphones
No upwards/downwards separation.
No front/back separation.

So it says: the sound engine in a game does 3D sound (games do that), THEN it's processed into flat 7.1 where the vertical element is lost (this is the final mix, you don't get to hear ANY part of the original 3D sound). The 7.1 is then sent to windows which is set to stereo (where it doesn't pretend to be a 7.1 device) this means the 7.1 signal is downmixed to 2.0 the dumbest way possible (this is actually wrong because no game lets you choose 7.1 and does the downmix itself, but the same dubm way, again if the option is not there, the game doesn't do hrtf). The dumb stereo signal is then sent to the soundcard's driver (once windows is done with it). Your dumb settings add some reverb. It goes into the hollow space in between your ears. The last two phrases are important, so pay attention. No upwards/downwards separation, means no up and down. No front/back separation, means you only have left and right.

In the end you're left with just plain stereo that sounds like you're in cave.

Almost every game already has 3d sound

It does, but before the sound engine actually kicks in and flattens everything. You don't get to hear 3D sound without a proper surround setup or HRTF.

But chances are if a game supports 5.1 (which isn't always in the options menu) It almost definitely supports 3d sound

See above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 1, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #1,001 of 1,519
It almost definitely supports 3d sound

Thats wrong assumption, most games DONT supports 3D positional sound, its a novelty, its not HRTF.
When you speak of 3D audio I hope you mean Object Based Audio, it was introduced in the VR era, it treats audio not as speakers in front of player or behind or above but objects in space.
No 2D PC games support such format, so far only some VR games support 3D audio and bunch of PS4 games (Uncharted engine games and Horizon Zero Dawn) but Only if you get the Platinum Sony Headset

Feb 1, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #1,002 of 1,519
What MS video? Can you link?

https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/GDC/GDC-2017/GDC2017-002

Thats wrong assumption, most games DONT supports 3D positional sound, its a novelty, its not HRTF.

Ummm, not really. Older games (from before vista era) and the ones with OpenAL (still old) do support object based audio and with a proper soundcard (read creative) you could get nice 3D audio back then. This was lost when vista arrived. Games' sound engines are still capable of producing object based audio, you just have no means of actually hearing it (save from HRTF enabled titles) because it's intercepted and mixed into regular surround or stereo by diverse middleware before passing it to windows' audio mixer. The enthousiasm around VR is bringing back what we had more than a decade ago.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #1,003 of 1,519
Feb 1, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #1,004 of 1,519
Yes, yes I did try it myself. I've tested every mainstream vss out there and the gsx beats all of them barring one.

Modern games output either stereo or surround. To get surround the game doesn't give you a choice, it looks at how windows has its speakers set up. If it doesn't see 5.1/7.1 it defaults to stereo. In other words, you need to have a real surround device or one that pretends to be a surround device. That's what dolby atmos for headphones and windows sonic are supposed to do, but they don't. You still need windows to at least pretend to be set to 7.1. Now, a vss solution NEEDS more than 2 channels to work with, so this is quite crucial for HRTF to work.

Once again, whether a source is stereo channels or surround channels, does not automatically determine how good 3d audio is. Keep beating that dead horse.... I don't know how you keep saying this with a straight face.

Except windows has EVERYTHING to do with it, because in the end it's window's audio mixer that decides where and how the sound goes. It's like that since vista.

again, whether a source is in stereo or surround channels, does not determine the 3d audio. Atmos for headphones, and sonic for windows, set windows to stereo.. If you have good audio drivers and software, they would be way better then each.

Oh right, why would i believe something said in a vid BY FREAKING PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY MADE THE STUFF? I mean it's not like they're sound engineers or sound designers, right?

130769d1492542777-enable-spatial-sound-headphones-windows-10-a-dolby_atmos_for_headphones.png

He means this. And the link he posted is the OFFICIAL manual for it.

They just want to sell you something. Not surprising though, since you bought the gsx marketing gimmick hook line and sinker, that mixing from windows direct surround channels is automatically better then 3d audio in games using windows in stereo with other vss solutions. (atmos, sonic, sound card drivers, sonic studio, thx tru studio, etc...) ...

Let's take a look at that F option again:

sonic for windows, with bf1 set to surround. IS the F option....../facepalm. And I tried this, it sucked. It sounded better with it off just using my audio drivers...

So it says: the sound engine in a game does 3D sound (games do that), THEN it's processed into flat 7.1 where the vertical element is lost (this is the final mix, you don't get to hear ANY part of the original 3D sound). The 7.1 is then sent to windows which is set to stereo (where it doesn't pretend to be a 7.1 device) this means the 7.1 signal is downmixed to 2.0 the dumbest way possible (this is actually wrong because no game lets you choose 7.1 and does the downmix itself, but the same dubm way, again if the option is not there, the game doesn't do hrtf). The dumb stereo signal is then sent to the soundcard's driver (once windows is done with it). Your dumb settings add some reverb. It goes into the hollow space in between your ears. The last two phrases are important, so pay attention. No upwards/downwards separation, means no up and down. No front/back separation, means you only have left and right.

In the end you're left with just plain stereo that sounds like you're in cave.

Oh so you admit games have 3d sound now, without any gimmicks added on top? Little by little you will have nothing left to argue about with me...lmao We agree now atmos and sonic for windows puts windows to stereo. now we agree games already have 3d sound.... whats next for you to "cave" on, no pun intended.

But let me get this straight, that whole long paragraph was you trying to convince me that up and down sounds are actually created by the game developers, we just never get to hear them? HAHA. And so how do we get to hear them? By buying the GSX? hahahaha.....

AGAIN, SONIC FOR WINDOWS< ATMOST HEADPHONES> ARE THE F OPTION!!!! There is no need for sonic for windows if your sound card comes with sonic studio or thx tru studio software. Or if you have modern audio drivers alone. and no you won't hear up and down sounds, because almost no games have them. And sorry, but no I don't feel like I'm in a "cave."

Then again I also preferred sennheisers reverb recommendations on the gsx. I assume you disagree with their engineers on that as well....

It does, but before the sound engine actually kicks in and flattens everything. You don't get to hear 3D sound without a proper surround setup or HRTF.

And so again, here we are 3 pages later you agree, but with a "caveat" haha (pun intended) You think you are hearing up and down sounds with cs:go's HRTF? I sure don't lol. But at least now we know which of the 3d definitions you prefer. The one that considers it 3d sound only when having up and down sounds.... (which almost no games do)

I consider 3d sound anything that's virtualized. The only time I would consider 3d sounds only being something with up and down sounds, is if the effect was used with a surround channel speaker setup. not just two binaural cups on your ears. Understand? Because that would be an effect, not a direct channel.

And the only time you might not get to hear the 3d sound created in the game, is if your headphones aren't great.... Meaning they don't have great sound stage. For example, as I've said multiple times already. I don't get a 3d sound effect when using sennheiser 202's. But I sure as hell do when using the game zeros.... Its night and day even though all headphones are stereo cupped (minus a couple gimmick headphones with multiple drivers). I said in a previous post there is a reason headphones marketed as "surround" have such huge cups.

Furthermore, 3d sound from the stereo headphones. IS BETTER then 5.1 channel speaker setup. I think I've said this already. I prefer the virtualization with my game zeros, then I do using my carefully calibrated Logitech 5.1 setup.

And For the umpteenth time, HRTF is just another name for a specific 3d sound technology game developers will use. Its not a standard. But Go look at Collins post for names of other ones that are just as good, but not as documented. For someone like you, who only cares about the technical specs, I guess you dont' consider anything undocumented as valid. But that's how this industry is for the most part. And didn't you just tell Wontell siomething similar in a previous post, but feel the need to troll me on it? ... At least I see you have been paying attention and learning something.

Now that you caved on every other point you made. IS this the last thing you have to argue with me about now? Well I just gave you a better definition of 3d sound, then simply up and down sounds. Which I've never head in any game to date that I've played.

And I guess after a couple more posts of you trolling me you will have to finally admit up and down sounds are not what solely make 3d audio. And I'd be interested when if ever, you have even heard that in a game.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back